Show 40 post(s) from this thread on one page
TribalWar Forums
Page 69 of 8751

TribalWar Forums (https://www.tribalwar.com/forums/index.php)
-   TWHOF (https://www.tribalwar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=275)
-   -   [Mega] MAGA Super Trump Mega Thread (https://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686285)

amRam 11-29-2016 12:03

Media is full swing butchering him for interviewing Petraeus

Esteban_Villa 11-29-2016 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipperlipicus (Post 18681452)
I personally like that he's not appointing idiot nobodies to his cabinet...

I mean I didn't buy into the draintheswamp stuff so it's actually good that he's keeping people that have experience on his team.

it'll be interesting to see how things shake out in the next few years. Like these promises to bring manufacturing jobs back to america and restore the rust belt or whatever...

Those jobs are gone. In the near future they'll be replaced by robotics/automation anyway.

I'm going to be curious to see if companies eventually start to get subsidies for maintaining human workers over machines

a new form of welfare emerging. either that or a universal income. I was re-reading about the rise of automation - apparently scientists over the last 2 years have come into agreement that we are going to start losing jobs due to new technology as opposed to what technology did say in the late 1800s...create a deluge of jobs with not enough bodies.

amram:

in my eyes: he like petraeus but isn't very seriously considering him for a major post, but is angling to put the leaking of national secrets back into the press given he was crucified over it while clinton wasn't.

Fool 11-29-2016 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skipperlipicus (Post 18681452)
Those jobs are gone. In the near future they'll be replaced by robotics/automation anyway.

The same could be said of low wage jobs in cities too. Self-ordering is already taking over fast food, automated kitchens, etc. That doesn't mean that he can't find ways to bring jobs to areas that are affected, they just might not be manufacturing jobs. The real point though was that he at least vocalized his intention to try, whereas Hillary did not. Saying "Those jobs aren't coming back, get used to being poor!" doesn't really solve anything, it just comes across as elitist.

JoMo 11-29-2016 12:19

WAHHHH TRUMP ISN'T DRAINING THE SWAMP!!!!
WAAHHHHH TRUMP ISNT APPOINTING ENOUGH EXPERIENCED BUREAUCRATS!

Make up your ****ing mind!

Skipperlipicus 11-29-2016 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fool (Post 18681459)
The real point though was that he at least vocalized his intention to try, whereas Hillary did not.

I'm pretty sure he used the words I promise, not I'll try. I think that's why these next years will be so interesting - it's really difficult to deliver on that.

How will the rustbelt react if they don't think their lot in life has improved under this administration? Perhaps 4 years from now we'll see another bernie sanders type grab up their votes.

phaytal 11-29-2016 12:25

There are no manufacturing jobs to bring back. It will be, by far, Trump's emptiest promise.

US manufacturing is up 150% since 1980 all while employing 40% fewer humans. You can't slow down or stop automation.

BionicBooger 11-29-2016 12:29

By The Numbers: The U.S. Has 12 Million Manufacturing Workers; China Has Ten Times That Number -- 114 Million


That's a lot of people who have not yet been replaced by robots. I think there is still plenty of potential to employ many Americans by making products in the U.S.

SuicideSnowman 11-29-2016 12:30

There's going to be a lot of jobs for people wanting to build the wall.

havax 11-29-2016 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiglaf (Post 18681441)
Trump picks Elaine Chao for secretary of transportation.

Because Asian women are the best drivers. :razz:

****ing racist bigot

lemontw 11-29-2016 12:31

BUT WHAT IF UR TOOTHBRUSH COST 2X AS MUCH WHAT THEN HUH

amRam 11-29-2016 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esteban_Villa (Post 18681456)
I'm going to be curious to see if companies eventually start to get subsidies for maintaining human workers over machines

a new form of welfare emerging. either that or a universal income. I was re-reading about the rise of automation - apparently scientists over the last 2 years have come into agreement that we are going to start losing jobs due to new technology as opposed to what technology did say in the late 1800s...create a deluge of jobs with not enough bodies.

amram:

in my eyes: he like petraeus but isn't very seriously considering him for a major post, but is angling to put the leaking of national secrets back into the press given he was crucified over it while clinton wasn't.

Maybe..or he doesn't give a ****.

By most accounts, Petraeus is a ****ing boss.. he'd probably be awesome for the position.

phaytal 11-29-2016 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by BionicBooger (Post 18681471)
By The Numbers: The U.S. Has 12 Million Manufacturing Workers; China Has Ten Times That Number -- 114 Million


That's a lot of people who have not yet been replaced by robots. I think there is still plenty of potential to employ many Americans by making products in the U.S.

It sounds awesome on paper or in a campaign speech, until the price of that reality sets in.

How much would an all-American iPhone cost?

Americans will not start paying 3x - 4x for products just because they were sourced and assembled in the US, and neither will the rest of the world.

Skipperlipicus 11-29-2016 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by BionicBooger (Post 18681471)
By The Numbers: The U.S. Has 12 Million Manufacturing Workers; China Has Ten Times That Number -- 114 Million


That's a lot of people who have not yet been replaced by robots. I think there is still plenty of potential to employ many Americans by making products in the U.S.

Perhaps - but who would buy these products? If you could choose between two prices for the same product it's in your best interest to choose the cheapest product.

Manufacturing jobs moved away because they can be done elsewhere for cheaper.

I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario where we are somehow able to bring those jobs back while at the same time compensating the workers with a livable wage. Our labor costs would push up the price of our goods and no one would want to buy them because they could get the same thing for much cheaper from a place like China.

Esteban_Villa 11-29-2016 13:02

If more people had higher paying jobs making products instead of burgers, there would be a greater ability to pay for the higher cost products. A lot of decrease in business regulations but in accounting and auditing and the OSHA type stuff (push liability off the business onto...?) for the figured to line up.

Fool 11-29-2016 13:03

People don't always buy cheaper versions. If they did, we wouldn't have expensive name brands. Apple would be out of business.

phaytal 11-29-2016 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Esteban_Villa (Post 18681492)
If more people had higher paying jobs making products instead of burgers, there would be a greater ability to pay for the higher cost products. A lot of decrease in business regulations but in accounting and auditing and the OSHA type stuff (push liability off the business onto...?) for the figured to line up.

Dude... The US makes up 4% of the global population. Is your US manufactured product, which costs 3x more than an identical Chinese product, going to sell anywhere else in the world simply because it was made in the good ol' US of A?

Come down to Earth, friend.

phaytal 11-29-2016 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fool (Post 18681493)
People don't always buy cheaper versions. If they did, we wouldn't have expensive name brands. Apple would be out of business.

And that same Apple iPhone would cost over $2,000 if sourced and assembled in the US.

Skipperlipicus 11-29-2016 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fool (Post 18681493)
People don't always buy cheaper versions. If they did, we wouldn't have expensive name brands. Apple would be out of business.

:lolwut:

JoMo 11-29-2016 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by amRam (Post 18681477)
Maybe..or he doesn't give a ****.

By most accounts, Petraeus is a ****ing boss.. he'd probably be awesome for the position.

Hope Petraeus gets Sec State so Trump can troll Romney some more.

"Oh.. you were so close again, but you're still a loser in 2nd place"

Fool 11-29-2016 13:14

Yes I'm aware. Americans are fine with the use of veritable slave labor so long as they don't have to see it happening. The point still stands, however. Americans are willing to pay more for a product that they perceive as superior, even if it's not. The question becomes, how much more are they willing to pay in order to get more Americans back to work, or if we need to come up with new means of employing the large swaths of America that are currently out of work?

Saying "The jobs aren't coming back" is not a solution, it's a defeatist mentality. Today it's manufacturing, but tomorrow service jobs will be automated too.


Show 40 post(s) from this thread on one page
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 20:06.
Page 69 of 8751

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2003, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Content Copyright 1999-2020 Tribalwar.Com, LLC