Show 40 post(s) from this thread on one page
TribalWar Forums
Page 3 of 5

TribalWar Forums (https://www.tribalwar.com/forums/index.php)
-   TWHOF (https://www.tribalwar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=275)
-   -   So my stupid smoke detector's going off for no reason (https://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558856)

Yaason 09-27-2008 00:57

i just unplugged my smoke detector because i can. it wasnt even beeping or anything. just thinking ahead incase it starts going off randomly.

Ben Reed 09-27-2008 00:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Refried-455 (Post 13746311)
okay joke's on us

you really turned it off right away right

please tell me you did

I don't know why you'd bother asking such a thing when any answer I give will fail to impress you.

But for your sake, yeah, I did turn it off. Removing the battery did the trick.

T-Refried-455 09-27-2008 00:59

you realize that by renting property, property malfunction is the fault of the rentor and any costs incurred would be on them

right

edit: i would have been totally impressed at this being a HoF troll

Flyersfan 09-27-2008 01:00

ben reed whats your number i want to hear it for myself

i dont believe it

Ben Reed 09-27-2008 01:14

No, I was being sarcastic. The damn thing's still running, but again, I really don't care.

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. It's just a smoke detector. It's not going to kill me if I let it run for a few hours. This is one instance of my daily life, and I really fail to see how it establishes precedent for all the other aspects of my life that I have to deal with.

There is no one definitive trial/dillemma that determines what makes a man, where if you **** up there, you **** up forever. (Unless you're, say, literally in life-and-limb danger. If you can't hang onto that cliff, you let go, you fall, and unless it's a short cliff, you probably die.) Life is lived on a case-by-case basis, and in this case, I don't think it's worth yanking wires to silence an inanimate object. This doesn't mean that I'm going to roll over and die for something where the emotional/metaphysical stakes are a lot higher. It just means I don't feel like yanking wires from a piece of plastic screwed to the ceiling.

And realistically, by this point I've already lost. You all will never look at me the same way again, no matter what I do to that damn detector. There's no point trying to impress you, because you won't be. But that's all right with me. The way I see it, following the "By God, I'll SHOW TW what's what!" philosophy to life is a slippery slope to outright stupidity. Now, I'm not saying ALL your suggestions are without merit -- but they can't go unquestioned. That's just plain dumb.

This is not to say that my life is perfect or ideal. But rest assured, I am doing more to improve it than you all get to see from the Internet. I think I can be faulted one screaming smoke detector at this point in my life, because it's far from over.

fraggle 09-27-2008 01:16

home schooling: it works!!!!!!

nigafool 09-27-2008 01:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Reed (Post 13746362)
No, I was being sarcastic. The damn thing's still running, but again, I really don't care.

Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is. It's just a smoke detector. It's not going to kill me if I let it run for a few hours. This is one instance of my daily life, and I really fail to see how it establishes precedent for all the other aspects of my life that I have to deal with.

There is no one definitive trial/dillemma that determines what makes a man, where if you **** up there, you **** up forever. (Unless you're, say, literally in life-and-limb danger. If you can't hang onto that cliff, you let go, you fall, and unless it's a short cliff, you probably die.) Life is lived on a case-by-case basis, and in this case, I don't think it's worth yanking wires to silence an inanimate object. This doesn't mean that I'm going to roll over and die for something where the emotional/metaphysical stakes are a lot higher. It just means I don't feel like yanking wires from a piece of plastic screwed to the ceiling.

And realistically, by this point I've already lost. You all will never look at me the same way again, no matter what I do to that damn detector. There's no point trying to impress you, because you won't be. But that's all right with me. The way I see it, following the "By God, I'll SHOW TW what's what!" philosophy to life is a slippery slope to outright stupidity. Now, I'm not saying ALL your suggestions are without merit -- but they can't go unquestioned. That's just plain dumb.

This is not to say that my life is perfect or ideal. But rest assured, I am doing more to improve it than you all get to see from the Internet. I think I can be faulted one screaming smoke detector at this point in my life, because it's far from over.

you're a ****in weirdo

T-Refried-455 09-27-2008 01:33

i wish parents would realize the massive impact home schooling has on social skills and independent decision-making

Ben Reed 09-27-2008 01:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraggle (Post 13746364)
home schooling: it works!!!!!!

You know, I thought a lot about this question throughout my life, and I'm not sure I disagree with you.

On the one hand, being outside the high school environment DID remove me from some of the stupider aspects of the high-school-specific social environment (cliques, class warfare, questions of educator integrity). Having grown up outside that environment, I basically made myself the man I am -- I did some volunteer work, I read a lot of books, and I was free to pursue most of my own interests without worrying about the opinions of others. I also actually kind of improved as a student -- from 5th grade onwards I had a very bad habit of doing, but never turning in, my homework. As the stakes got higher and I had a couple close calls, I actually learned to get over that somewhat and started applying myself a bit more.

But at the same time, being removed from the idiosyncracies of the social environment also meant, of course, that any socialization I was expected to engage in was all up to me. I had few friends when I was a kid, and I lost touch with many of them after I finished the eighth grade. I worked with children a fair deal during my volunteer work (children's museum, animal exhibition floor -- I handled various herps and invertebrates, I did some on-stage speaking during their bi-hourly animal presentations, I answered the kids' questions), and I worked with numerous adults, but I never really had that many relationships of any kind with people my own age. I'd be a liar if I said that didn't make things awkward for me.

If I were asked if I would home-school my own kids (lol you're going to die alone lol), quite honestly, I would probably say no. But at the same time, I can't totally dismiss my home-schooling experience as a wasted effort. I think I DID get some benefit out of it, even if there were some associated downsides.

(Just to clear facts up here: I DID go to normal public school from grades K-8. My parents are not any denomination of Christianity, Judaism, or anything of the sort. My experience was kind of a special case as home-schooling goes.)

At this point, I think I'll open the floor to questions about myself, since what is done here cannot be undone. I will refuse to give out my phone number or my current address, but pretty much anything else is fair game.

nigafool 09-27-2008 01:43

how many hours a week do you spend working at a job

how many hours a week do you spend playing video games

how long is your hair at this point

Ben Reed 09-27-2008 01:44

gigafool: If I had a dollar for every time I've heard that phrase during my life, I could hire Donald Trump to fly down from New York and smash my smoke detector for me.

Hell yes, I'm weird. But I'm just as human as you are, and I do my best to show it and never forget it.

I won't lie and say I'm proud of everything I've ever done in and with my life. But this is hardly the last gasp of my humanity you're seeing here. Corny as it is to actually SAY this, there's a side to me most of you will never see, beyond the guy screaming at shadows on the Interwebs.

Stilgar 09-27-2008 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriDLoK (Post 13745960)
maybe there is dust or something in the sensors, try vacuuming it :shrug:

They use a low level radioactive souce to pull smoke particulants across the detector.
Cleaning it is a good suggestion.
Especially in Florida.

Ben Reed 09-27-2008 01:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigafool (Post 13746389)
how many hours a week do you spend working at a job

Zero, currently. I take 12 credit hours this term. Haven't pursued a part-time job mostly because I'm not sure if I can get anything that fits my somewhat spastic class schedule (one class early Tuesday morning till noon, one at 3 in the afternoon Tues-Thurs, two back to back from 5:30-9:00 on Mon/Wed).

I used to do around 15 hours of volunteer work at the aforementioned children's museum, but I kinda fell off the grid as I got more involved in school.

Quote:

how many hours a week do you spend playing video games
Only 20ish currently for the week (at around 3 hours a day). I quit WoW recently to free up more time for school.

Quote:

how long is your hair at this point
About six inches past my shoulders. I am ready and willing to cut it whenever I'm faced with a REAL job interview. The same goes for my beard. But until then, I'm just going to let them stay as they are. Chopping them off won't make a radical difference in my physical attractiveness, and may in fact draw attention to less obvious aspects of my hideousness (my weight, while not of Mav proportions, is not ideal, and my face looks something like the moon on a clear summer night).

So basically, everything you assumed about me is true.

Gon 09-27-2008 01:55

your fire alarm has been going off for at least 2.5 hours now

lol

Ben Reed 09-27-2008 01:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gon (Post 13746421)
your fire alarm has been going off for at least 2.5 hours now

lol

It's funny because it's sad because it's true.

And technically, it's my smoke detector, not my fire alarm. I have one of those, too, but thankfully it hasn't malfunctioned on me yet.

Gon 09-27-2008 02:00

yeah im dumb

nigafool 09-27-2008 02:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Reed (Post 13746412)
Only 20ish currently for the week (at around 3 hours a day). I quit WoW recently to free up more time for school.

:picard:

Baby Bew 09-27-2008 02:01

Can I just say

Your smoke detector is just as worthless going off for no reason as it is disconnected.

Ben Reed 09-27-2008 02:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gon (Post 13746434)
yeah im dumb

Not nearly as dumb as me. I've got this thread to prove it.

Gon 09-27-2008 02:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Bew (Post 13746438)
Can I just say

Your smoke detector is just as worthless going off for no reason as it is disconnected.

IT VIOLATES APARTMENT SAFETY CODE.

Ben Reed 09-27-2008 02:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigafool (Post 13746437)
:picard:

Well, duh. I'm not gonna lie to you about "Oh that, yeah, I quit WoW, haven't played it in months" when it takes you a whopping 3 mousestrokes to objectively prove that I'm bull****ting.

naptown 09-27-2008 02:06

this can't be real

no one sucks this much ass

Flyersfan 09-27-2008 02:07

is your brother younger or older

does he watch anime

does he have a job

does he have a car

nigafool 09-27-2008 02:07

i would wager that if you quit playing video games

and got a job that forced you to interact with other adults on some level (for instance not at a petting zoo)

life problems such as these would crop up less often

or when they did, you would have better solutions than "call mom and dad" and "ask the internet"

Ben Reed 09-27-2008 02:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyersfan (Post 13746451)
is your brother younger or older

Younger. But not by much. Hell, the way he acts compared to me, he might as well be older.

Quote:

does he watch anime
Yes. But we both do it mostly to make fun of it. It's far more of a B-movie thing than it is a "holy **** I understand/appreciate life better having watched this" thing for the both of us.

Quote:

does he have a job
No, but to be honest, his prospects are probably much better than mine.

Quote:

does he have a car
No.

nigafool 09-27-2008 02:17

at least you have a good reason for watching japanese cartoons in your free time

Flyersfan 09-27-2008 02:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Reed (Post 13746467)
Younger. But not by much. Hell, the way he acts compared to me, he might as well be older.



Yes. But we both do it mostly to make fun of it. It's far more of a B-movie thing than it is a "holy **** I understand/appreciate life better having watched this" thing for the both of us.



No, but to be honest, his prospects are probably much better than mine.



No.


how do you guys keep the ladies away

i mean you must be beating them with a stick am i rite

Ben Reed 09-27-2008 02:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigafool (Post 13746453)
i would wager that if you quit playing video games

and got a job that forced you to interact with other adults on some level (for instance not at a petting zoo)

life problems such as these would crop up less often

or when they did, you would have better solutions than "call mom and dad" and "ask the internet"

I would agree with the first two (minus the "petting zoo" comment), and disagree with the second two for separate reasons.

I disagree with the characterization of this occurrence as a "life problem". My physical life is not at stake here. I have nothing to lose besides immaterial (and in many ways, replaceable) dignity from letting this thing run until morning. (I'm not letting it run any longer than that.) This is not a test of my totality as a human being. Nobody is going to come and whisk me away to jail because I didn't unplug a smoke detector, and am therefore an irredeemably pathetic waste of resources. This is a piece of circuitry, encased in plastic, malfunctioning for ostensibly electrical reasons. There's nothing more to it than that.

As for "asking the Internet", I didn't ASK TW for anything. I offered to share this little anecdote as an insipid little slice-of-life piece that we all adore, and to enjoy the meaningless gibberish that ensued. (I wasn't expecting it to go this far, but well, I guess the joke's on me.) I felt in no way paralyzed by this, because I had no intention of acting on any of TW's suggestions to forcibly unplug the thing. I did the battery removal, and on the off chance it would work, the vaccuuming. Anything beyond that, I wasn't going to do, no matter what.

And as for asking my parents -- I love and respect my family, and especially my parents, more than any other human beings on this earth. I trust their judgment implicitly and consciously. If it ever came down to following TW's judgment versus my parents' judgment (a false dillemma in almost every conceivable situation), I would defer to their judgment without a moment's hesitation. The way I see it, any fundamental failings I have, they had nothing to do with. I dropped my own ball, and it's my duty to pick it up again. Nobody can do that but me.

Flyersfan 09-27-2008 02:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Reed (Post 13746492)
I would agree with the first two (minus the "petting zoo" comment), and disagree with the second two for separate reasons.

I disagree with the characterization of this occurrence as a "life problem". My physical life is not at stake here. I have nothing to lose besides immaterial (and in many ways, replaceable) dignity from letting this thing run until morning. (I'm not letting it run any longer than that.) This is not a test of my totality as a human being. Nobody is going to come and whisk me away to jail because I didn't unplug a smoke detector, and am therefore an irredeemably pathetic waste of resources. This is a piece of circuitry, encased in plastic, malfunctioning for ostensibly electrical reasons. There's nothing more to it than that.

As for "asking the Internet", I didn't ASK TW for anything. I offered to share this little anecdote as an insipid little slice-of-life piece that we all adore, and to enjoy the meaningless gibberish that ensued. (I wasn't expecting it to go this far, but well, I guess the joke's on me.) I felt in no way paralyzed by this, because I had no intention of acting on any of TW's suggestions to forcibly unplug the thing. I did the battery removal, and on the off chance it would work, the vaccuuming. Anything beyond that, I wasn't going to do, no matter what.

And as for asking my parents -- I love and respect my family, and especially my parents, more than any other human beings on this earth. I trust their judgment implicitly and consciously. If it ever came down to following TW's judgment versus my parents' judgment (a false dillemma in almost every conceivable situation), I would defer to their judgment without a moment's hesitation. The way I see it, any fundamental failings I have, they had nothing to do with. I dropped my own ball, and it's my duty to pick it up again. Nobody can do that but me.

wall o text

Ben Reed 09-27-2008 02:30

As for this thread, I hope they HoF it. I'm not afraid. The way I see it, my loserdom, both real and perceived, has been an open secret since the day I started posting here. The only thing this thread has done has forced all parties involved to openly acknowledge it.

If this thread is to be an insight into who I really am, then so be it. If nothing else, I've given you kids smoke detector jokes to last until the ending of the Internet (in 2012, obviously). Make of them what you will.

Ben Reed 09-27-2008 02:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyersfan (Post 13746499)
wall o text

I apologize for taxing your attention span. My verbosity naturally reflects my passion, no matter what my mood is.

Flyersfan 09-27-2008 02:42

you have a god damn smoke detector going off in your apartment

jesus **** get off the internet and make it stop

why dosent your brother make it stop

if you had a pet lizard it would have killed itself by now

Ben Reed 09-27-2008 02:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyersfan (Post 13746536)
you have a god damn smoke detector going off in your apartment

jesus **** get off the internet and make it stop

why dosent your brother make it stop

if you had a pet lizard it would have killed itself by now

It's just a damn smoke detector. I can choose to deal with it however I wish. The fate of my existence does not hinge on my reaction to one irritating malfunction that I can in all likelihood have resolved within six hours through the properly ordained means.

nigafool 09-27-2008 02:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Reed (Post 13746492)
I disagree with the characterization of this occurrence as a "life problem".

of course you do

Jasper 09-27-2008 03:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Reed (Post 13746241)
Oh, I'm sure I could do it if I wanted to. I just don't think it's worth the trouble.

Uh Ben...you OK mang?

Flyersfan 09-27-2008 03:26

ben "ben reed" reed if your neighbors knocked on your door and asked you to turn your smoke detector off, what would you tell them?

GriDLoK 09-27-2008 03:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyersfan (Post 13746640)
ben "ben reed" reed if your neighbors knocked on your door and asked you to turn your smoke detector off, what would you tell them?

"hold on, let me go ask the internet!"

Ben Reed 09-27-2008 03:30

Well, let's see...to put it facetiously, I've been better...but I'm not sure if I've ever been much worse. But if I don't laugh at myself, others will almost certainly beat me to the punch.

But at least the smoke detector actually shut up about half an hour ago. But now, of course, I can't exactly get to sleep. So I dug out my logic textbook and now I'm working basic Aristotelian logic problems to get ready for Monday's exam. In a strange way, it's actually fairly therapeutic.

Ben Reed 09-27-2008 03:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyersfan (Post 13746640)
ben "ben reed" reed if your neighbors knocked on your door and asked you to turn your smoke detector off, what would you tell them?

In all honesty, if they came up and banged on the door, THAT'S the point where I'd disconnect it from the wall. I would probably have to ask for their help in order to do so, but I almost certainly would go ahead and do it. I am a very passive person, but I worry so much about offending total strangers that I would easily bow to direct personal pressure. I don't worry about inconveniencing myself nearly as much as I worry about inconveniencing others.

naptown 09-27-2008 03:32

quite the friday night

smoke alarms, calling your parents asking them what to do, and Aristotelian logic problems


Show 40 post(s) from this thread on one page
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 19:08.
Page 3 of 5

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2003, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Content Copyright 1999-2020 Tribalwar.Com, LLC