Show 40 post(s) from this thread on one page
TribalWar Forums
Page 79 of 127

TribalWar Forums (https://www.tribalwar.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.tribalwar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Godzilla! Huge Earthquake in Japan (https://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629593)

CelticMojo 03-15-2011 13:43

Has anyone mentioned the fact that Kyoto has been ****ing up for a while lying about **** in reports? I saw on the news the last time they had an incident that they claimed to have only lost a gallon of contaminated water but it was alot more than that.

JoMo 03-15-2011 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakuza (Post 16276390)
Has anyone mentioned the fact that Kyoto has been ****ing up for a while lying about **** in reports? I saw on the news the last time they had an incident that they claimed to have only lost a gallon of contaminated water but it was alot more than that.

what are you talking about?

CogitoČ 03-15-2011 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMo (Post 16276385)
It's unknown how much of #2 is breached or if it was. I've heard that the explosion in the suppression pool may have caused a crack in which radiation is leaking out but not even the plant operators know for sure.

It seems like filling a reactor containment with water would be much, much more difficult with a leak of any significant size. The figure I've heard is a "5%" breach (on wiki, referencing a spokesman). To me it doesn't really matter if the breach is 1% or 50%. It's breached, meaning that unless the breach is sealed god knows how, there will be significant radioactive release.

CogitoČ 03-15-2011 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMo (Post 16276400)
what are you talking about?

I think he meant TEPCO

Flyersfan 03-15-2011 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pagy (Post 16276125)
No one said it was normal... It just isn't doomsday.

stick dicks in me

i think they will evacuate tokyo like pripyat

worse than Chernobyl

doomsday millions will be dead by easter

list of things i haven't said in this thread

D 03-15-2011 14:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by CogitoČ (Post 16276381)
Given that #2's containment structure has been breached, would there not be significant (as in, enough to harm human health) release of iodine and cesium into the environment? Again, just wondering. Most of the "it'll be fine" articles were predicated on the fact that the containment vessel would not be breached.

You got to separate 2 different things first. Radiation and a radiation source.
Radiation hits you and damages tissue/whatever. A radiation source emits radiation.

Radiation can be countered by creating distance and/or shielding. Containing the source depends on the form of the source. If the fuel rods melt you just contain it in concrete and some other substances. It isn't going to run away. Once cooled down you actually get a cool glass structure. This isn't dangerous by definition.
Dangerous is when some particles/objects turn into a source. In a fire for example ash could become a radioactive source. Ash flows with the wind. If it is going your way, you could swallow a source. There would be a radioactive source in your body emitting radiation 24/7. You can not run from that.

So the question is. What was breached, where and how? If it's the roof then it could get in the air through smoke/ash/steam/etc. (very dangerous, hard to contain) If it's in the floor then it could leak into the ground. (immediate action required, can still be contained) If the breach is on the other side of the structure then it could be nothing.
It's not like the whole building is filled with radioactive material.

Got Haggis? 03-15-2011 14:24

when they say there are 2 holes (28ftx28ft) in the containment vessel that were blown open in the explosion...which 'russian doll' vessel is this?

Zombie 03-15-2011 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Haggis? (Post 16276476)
when they say there are 2 holes (28ftx28ft) in the containment vessel that were blown open in the explosion...which 'russian doll' vessel is this?

Where did you get this 28ft number from?

JoMo 03-15-2011 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Haggis? (Post 16276476)

It was in the building of #4 reactor which has been converted to a spent fuel pool. Like the other buildings that blew up.

JoMo 03-15-2011 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie (Post 16276480)
Where did you get this 28ft number from?

At 6:14 a.m. on Tuesday, a blast occurred at the No. 4 reactor and created two square-shaped holes about 8 by 8 meters in the walls of the building that houses the reactor.

Got Haggis? 03-15-2011 14:32

from the thing that jomo posted...they said two square holes measuring 8 meters x 8 meters.

didn't realize it was #4 - so not as dangerous as it would be if it was an active reactor i guess

JoMo 03-15-2011 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Haggis? (Post 16276489)
from the thing that jomo posted...they said two square holes measuring 8 meters x 8 meters.

didn't realize it was #4 - so not as dangerous as it would be if it was an active reactor i guess

huh? 2 of the 3 reactor buildings have blown up?

The containment vessel is undamaged in those two explosions but all that is left is the framework of the building.

This was the 1st reactor I think

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...creen_shot.jpg

Got Haggis? 03-15-2011 14:40

yeah i guess what i'm confused about is what part of the reactor as the 8x8 meter holes in it....is it the outer building as pictured in your post...or is it deeper inside?

and if its deeper inside, better that it happened to a reactor storing spent fuel rods than one that is a production reactor....(or maybe not?)

Zombie 03-15-2011 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMo (Post 16276494)
huh? 2 of the 3 reactor buildings have blown up?

The containment vessel is undamaged in those two explosions but all that is left is the framework of the building.

This was the 1st reactor I think

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...creen_shot.jpg

I thought it was 3 of the 4 have had hydrogen explosions?

JoMo 03-15-2011 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie (Post 16276503)
I thought it was 3 of the 4 have had hydrogen explosions?

Yeah, but 4 isn't acting as a reactor, just a spent fuel pool.

JoMo 03-15-2011 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got Haggis? (Post 16276502)
yeah i guess what i'm confused about is what part of the reactor as the 8x8 meter holes in it....is it the outer building as pictured in your post...or is it deeper inside?

and if its deeper inside, better that it happened to a reactor storing spent fuel rods than one that is a production reactor....(or maybe not?)

The outer building. Here's the image I was trying to find Basically just the top blew off, the reactor itself was fine:

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/up...%20cutaway.jpg

D 03-15-2011 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMo (Post 16276507)
The outer building. Here's the image I was trying to find:

Mind that the outer building is actually multiple structures put together. I can remove walls and floors and still not reach the room of the reactor vessel.

JoMo 03-15-2011 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by D (Post 16276512)
Mind that the outer building is actually multiple structures put together. I can remove multiple walls and floors and still not reach the room of the reactor vessel.

yep and building #3 was a lot more damaged.

Zombie 03-15-2011 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMo (Post 16276507)
The outer building. Here's the image I was trying to find Basically just the top blew off, the reactor itself was fine:

I thought the one explosion they were worried about damaged that ring (torus) on the bottom? When they lost pressure.

JoMo 03-15-2011 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie (Post 16276516)
I thought the one explosion they were worried about damaged that ring (torus) on the bottom? When they lost pressure.

Reactor #1 and # 3: Hydrogen explosion, building damaged.

Reactor #2: Explosion heard near the suppression pool. Possible damage to containment vessel. They reported a pressure drop from 3 AU to 1 AU and a rise in radiation. (building damaged from explosion #3)

Building #4 (spent fuel pool, is a reactor but has been reconfigured) Explosion that damaged the building and fire possibly due to hydrogen from boiling pool or something else. Not a lot of info was certain on this.

Show 40 post(s) from this thread on one page