Did you build models as a kid?

JuggerNaught

Contributor
Veteran XX
I can't remember how many 1000's of models i built from about 6 to 14 or so. Cars, planes, tanks, pretty much any and every model that could be bought. Back ye olden times, when you went to something like Toys-R-Us, there was a section of the store devoted to models. Any grocery store had at least half an aisle of models, pharmacies too.

My cousin sent a model of my first car. I've been waiting to put it together as i had no paints or anything. I went to hobby lobby last weekend and got a testors paint set, glue, brushes, etc.

I started painting last night....i am apparently not the modeler i once was. I was eyeballing a nice airbrush set at hobby lobby but it was like $200 and i don't know that im going to go balls deep back into model building again. If i were it would definitely be a purchase.

Anyone else used to or still build models?

I had a couple cars, a millennium falcon and a couple other star wars ships

after about 12yrs old though my interests and efforts went towards other types of models

and i did read a really good book about gladiators, Morituri. Main character's name was Lucanus

91j05Z2Gn9L.jpg

Last edited:
I built a batmobile once from the burton film.

But no never was into models. Lego was my...main toy

i built a couple of models as a kid, even built an f-14 tomcat once that actually had retractable wings that worked. i was probably around 12-13. i can't imagine being nerdy enough today to build one at this age, and also i can't imagine what a woman would think if she saw models being built around my house. i mean, to me, that's almost model train level nerdvirgin gay. :shrug:

but hey, u do u bro

yes he would purchase and build a model every other day for 8 years straight

throw in a couple months in the hopital, christmas, anytime i was at the store with my dad, my gramps, or grams. I used to be really into building WWII dioramas, had planes hanging from the ceiling, shelves upon shelves of models

built some legos here and there
action figures/transformers/etc were just dolls for doods

but atari/nintendoo/sega/etc were <3 <3 and always have been :D

I didn't do it much as a kid we had some kits but I think mostly my brothers did them. I didn't really get into cars and a deep interest in ww2 is developed in your thirties.

Had legos and stuff though.

Back