My vegan liberal wife wants a gun...

Dead Ben

Veteran XX
I think she wants to kill me.

Seriously though, she wants a gun at the house for protection. It's out of the blue. I've thought about it before too but never really seriously considered it. I'm not a gun type person so where should I start? We'd both go to safety/training classes. I live near the NRA hq so I'd assume there are some places around here for that sort of thing. Also, while I'd love to get a desert eagle, I'm sure for a novice like myself I don't need one, so what is a good gun to start with <insert get a new wife joke>.

I just bought a pump action shotgun (Mossberg 590A1) for home defense. Might be a bit much for the Mrs., though. But she should have no problem learning to handle a 9mm handgun. I might start by doing research online to find a 9mm within your price range, and then find a range near your house that rents that and some other 9mm's. I'm looking into getting a Glock 17 for myself.

The best gun for home defense is the one that you and your wife feel comfortable shooting. You need to be comfortable maintaining it, loading it, handling it, and putting bullets on target. No one can tell you definitively what that is. You need to test some stuff out. Also do you have children around? Might be something else to consider...

Walther

Let her shoot a P99 or P22 and see if she likes it.

Also, you're going to get shot.

How many guns bought for home defense are actually ever used?

Just get a cool gun that she likes and don't worry about optimizing for tactical sweeps.

The best thing to do is to bring her to a range and rent a few different guns and try them out. Going to the gun store will tell you how it looks, or how it feels in your hand, but you need to fire different caliber rounds to see what she is comfortable with and what she can shoot.

I'm not much of a Glock fanboi, but I'd recommend a Glock 19. It's small enough for her to shoot, chambers the 9MM, which doesn't have excessive recoil, and is brain dead simple to operate and maintain. It also will be less than $500 dollars.

go to a gun range and rent some guns. Try various calibers and types. For home protection you want to look at minimum 9mm and 38 special. Going up to a 40 or 45 cal is ok as is the 41 special. If you start pumping up to the 357 mag, 41 mag, 44, 10mm, or 50 you're going to get into a flinching issue if you're not used to the boom and the recoil.

In general revolvers are a much surer thing to shoot and avoid jams. But you'll be limited to 6 or 7 shots and have a much slower reload and these will definitely recoil much more then any semi pistol. Semi's are really quite varied and can have a lot of options and lots of price points. make sure you and your wife can comfortably grip the gun and operate it.

Shotguns are great but you'll need to make sure that your wife can properly mount the gun and is going to be comfortable with the recoil, not to mention even holding the gun for any prolonged period of time. And if you buy a pump gun you both will need to practice much in the way of racking the pump.

get her gun.

load blanks.

let her out in a bad neighborhood.

profit.

edit: sure would be funny though after she shot you six times, you play dead for a second, then get back up and point your gun at her and say, "i forgot to tell you, my gun had the REAL bullets." :)

Last edited:
I had a roast beef and bacon sandwich for lunch today, I could never date a vegan. You ever eat a roast beef and bacon sandwich? it was like banging a girl whose vagina blows you

Shotgun. Unless B&E's are a common occurrence in your household, you won't be able to hit shit under duress with a pistol.

Back