[tech] probably a stupid question...

Falhawk

Veteran XX
So I just put in a new HD, an ssd, that only runs the OS. Do I have to go through and reinstall all of my other main programs that exist on my other HD, which are already there, or is there a way to change the pointers so that the OS recognizes the installed applications? I'm talking about things like steam etc.

You have to reinstall your applications, since the new operating system has no registry entries for your previous installed applications.

Once reinstalled, the data and other content already created by the application should become available as it was previously under the old install once migrated to the new drive.

The only exception to this is if you cloned the old operating system onto your new SSD drive, in which case the old operating system will continue on as it did on the original drive with your original applications.

Last edited:
ghost the existing drive onto your SSD and change your boot drive to that. format the old drive. i did this like 2 months ago and it works fine.

How To Migrate Windows 7 to a Solid State Drive
Yeah I can't do that because I was stupid when I did my last rebuild. The old HD is 1tb and I didn't create a partition just for the HD. The new ssd came with software to migrate the OS but I was 80gb short.

Ill just reinstall the crap I have.

eh its not that big a deal I find after a clean install I really don't need even half the shit I used to have installed.

i usually put my new OS on the new drive then just leave the old one hooked up so I can pull all the shit I forgot about over the next few years. I still have a drive in my desktop that has the original tribalwar files on it (1999)

Reinstalling your OS is in many ways akin to wiping your ass. It gets crusty after a while so you should wipe it every 6 months.

Wait what

After a fresh install, go to ninite.com, click the programs you want to install and click "get your ninite" It will give you an executable that will install the most up to date version of the programs you install in one little installable, without making you go through all the prompts.

he hook ur cookies and pagy gonna monitor ur tv and phone and internet thx bell node filtering at dslam or wtfever

Think I have the 3.1 floppys here somewhere... Cludging together a machine that would actually run every version of windows would be the challenge.

If you want to get a performance hit from your machine, reformat, and reinstall. Not sure about these days, but this is how I would do it if I was playing competitive quake:

Format HDD
Install O/S
Defrag
Install primary application (Quake)
Defrag
Play

About every year or so on gaming rig:

Format HDD
Defrag
Install primary application (Quake)
Defrag
Play

Cause it clears rubbish that builds up.

Leave the SSD to run the OS and the primary app, put all the other shit on a large drive. Back in the day we had a smaller HDD just for the OS and primary app for speed. The larger drive held the bulk. Now days, the SSD may as well run your OS and primary apps, and your bulk can still sit on the big old HDD.

ahhh when i was a lad...

You can transfer your Steam library pretty easily. Other stuff just reinstall the few that you actually use. You'll be glad you got rid of it all anyway.

Set up a folder backup and sync to two drives so your photos and cuck videos are safe. Use something like Beyond Compare Scooter Software: Home of Beyond Compare to automate it so it isn't a chore.

Back