Choice: Mage or Warlock..

Heimdal

Veteran XX
i'm looking to roll a dps caster alt, but i really can't decide between these 2. i pretty much like both of them, and have played them to a decent level in the past, but i'm honestly just not sure which one is more viable these days for dps.

i'm mainly wanting to build my way back up to heroics, and eventually 10 and possibly 25-man eventually. being able to get a group once i'm in northrend for instances is a plus too. leveling isn't really a factor in my choice since i'm fairly certain i can level quickly as either class. i'm on a pvp server also, so i suppose that's a factor too. not sure if i'll get around to arenas on whatever i pick.

i've heard frostfire bolt builds are pretty good these days. i tend to hear more bad than good about warlocks, but i'm open to views from other people. as always, the things i hear pretty much goes both ways.

so anyone have any suggestions?

Mages are more fun then Warlocks in my opinion.

Warlock casting is more like work to me with all the DoTs and doing a destruction casting lock I don't feel right, whereas to just speccing a Mage full Frost and doing a shitton of DPS.

if it was BC then a lock would be your only choice

now it's very close with frostfire being slightly ahead of affliction, but affliction is only fun if you love watching timers

if it was BC then a lock would be your only choice

now it's very close with frostfire being slightly ahead of affliction, but affliction is only fun if you love watching timers

so locks are still good then. is destruction anywhere near affliction for dps, or is it straight affliction?

honestly, every warlock i've been in a group with so far have been pretty low on the dps meter. but i usually chalk that up to bad players. there are plenty of those.

locks are still competitive but you won't be able to press one button anymore and be at the top of the dps charts (roll a hunter if you want to do that) and yes, affliction is > destruction by a decent margin in my experience

haha yeah, i have a level 71 hunter. i got pretty bored once i realized that i could basically scroll my mouse wheel up and down with the right macros and top the dps charts every time. i like doing more as a class to get the job done. keeps me busy and actually paying attention.

How are mages and hunters for PVP? Thinking about getting WOTLK but I'm not sure which class I should go with.

Mages are, much like Blizzard describes them, a glass cannon that slips away. Going into anything other than 1 on 1 (2 even) with pure casters is going to get you into a tight spot possibly. They are absolutely great with meat between them and their targets, and with some heals, it's just a gravy train. Also, no need to be said, but AoE obviously is tip top, but very rarely will it get you anywhere solo.

Hunters are versatile in all kinds of ways, they're ranged, have pets with HP equal to most players or mobs of comparable level. So you have double HP, plus the ranged DPS and a tank-ish kind of pet. And they're seriously 4-button toons.

Affliction > *.

I was an eay 500-800 dps behind our affliction locks when I was destruction..Respecced and the numbers rolled in but at a cost...even with Corruption being reset it's a hassle keeping haunt foremost with it not exactly timing up with Unstable Affliction.

On paper, mages look like they have more fun toys. From my experience, mages bitch more than any other class. If you like to complain a lot, I'd probably go with mage.

I love my frost mage but then again I'm still new to this game (started the day wotlk was released) and I really don't have a clue about what would make a lock better. I don't have to tough of a time in dungeons and if I get into a tight spot I can hide in my block of ice like a little bitch. Seriously though its been fun and its been cake for me to solo through level 66 so far. But from what I've heard from guildmates locks are better overall.

Edit: if you do go with a mage make sure you get glyph of evocation. Heal for 60 percent even in combat on top of the 60 percent mana regen.

Last edited:
Need more mages - I get thirsty.

I kept my lock destruction - 0/20/51 atm - I haven't been in a 25 person raid yet, but I am competitive with the other dps in my raid. Once we fold into our 25 person raid, I'll let you know how I do versus our affliction lock.

On paper, mages look like they have more fun toys. From my experience, mages bitch more than any other class. If you like to complain a lot, I'd probably go with mage.

I've been a Mage (Arcane, to boot) forever. I don't really have anything to complain about. Blizzard has just given me buffs in 3.0, all of which cater to my playstyle, evened the playing field among DPS casters, and I'm pretty happy.

I'm sure if I'd played a Warlock I'd be singing a different tune though. :o:

Seriously though, Mages are pretty fun.

I've been a Mage (Arcane, to boot) forever. I don't really have anything to complain about. Blizzard has just given me buffs in 3.0, all of which cater to my playstyle, evened the playing field among DPS casters, and I'm pretty happy.

I'm sure if I'd played a Warlock I'd be singing a different tune though. :o:

Seriously though, Mages are pretty fun.

Indeed, my first and main toon is a frost mage, and I rather enjoy it.

mages are nothing like blizz describes them

screw a mage, roll a hybrid or a hunter, wear better armor and out DPS mages.

I out dps all hybrids with worse gear. Hunters are broken atm and going to get a nerf. I also feel very competitive with all other dps class.

In other words you don't know what you are talking about.

Back