Pot Roast

juzfugen

Veteran X
Nothing says "Let's eat" like a freaking pot roast. I made this with a sirloin cut. It was perfectly done in the dutch oven.

I rubbed it with some olive oil ,fresh cracked pepper and herbs de provencal threw it the fridge and let is sit overnight. Break out your Dutch Oven and render some fat off of 1/8th oz. of salt pork. Salt the roast and put it in the DO and sear the all sides for 3-5 mins each. Remove the roast and throw in 4-5 bruised garlic cloves, 1 quartered onion, 1 carrot, and chopped bell pepper and let cook for 3-4 minutes, deglaze with about a cup of bordeaux. I let that cook off a few minutes and added 4 cups of beef broth , some fresh thyme and some fresh Italian flat leaf parsley. Simmer about 3 hours. Add carrots, potatoes, and quartered yellow onions. Simmer for about 45 minutes, then add about 1 1/2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms. Cover and simmer for about another 20 minutes.
Remove some of the juice and reduce it into a gravy. Have this with a glass of cab, then fall asleep...

Fuck, I'm hungry after reading that.

My pot roast:

Rub with pepper. Sear in pan, browning just the outside. Throw in crock pot with some potatoes.

In the same pan you browned the meat in, brown an onion, with 1 cup baby carrots, and 2 stalks of chopped celery hearts. Once lightly browned, toss in 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped. Throw all this in the crock pot.

Now add 1 cup chicken broth, 1/2 cup of cheap red wine, a tsp of thyme, and 1/4 tsp of ground red pepper. Reduce at a high boil in the searing/browning pan, and clean up those black chunks in the bottom :) Pour this, and a can of stewed tomatoes, into the crock.

Cook 8 hours.

Result: the most delicious pot roast ever.

Back