[Rogue] combat swords vs combat daggers

Divine

Veteran XV
Hi,

I'm new to WoW and am playing a Rogue as my main. I was wondering what all of you guys' thoughts were about swords vs. daggers. Also, would it be worth my while to macro a weapon switch + backstab if I go combat swords?

Combat daggers doesn't exist, it's a dead spec (thank god).

Need some more information about what you're planning to do before I can give you a good answer.

pessi what do you make of blizzard's stance on rogues vs dps warriors? It seems almost like they want dps warriors to do more damage than rogues...

in which case, why make a rogue?

I'm planning on doing a lot of raiding, hopefully. Maybe eventually I'll branch out into PvP, but for now I'm trying to level up to 70 and get through some raids before WOTLK.

For raiding, your options are Mutilate (51/5/5) or Combat Swords (5/51/5).

Technically, my HaT lol-sub spec is viable as well, but I'm assuming you aren't already in a raid guild, and you'd get laughed at immediately if you app'd as Sub.

At 70, CSwords is marginally better on things that aren't murderable, Mutilate on things that are. In either case, they're very close, so spec for whichever you have weapons for.

At 80, Mutilate pulls forward more and is generally in front regardless of the target.

Since you seem to be leveling to 70 now, and will be leveling from 70 to 80 in two weeks, I'd say just stick with combat and don't spec into swords/maces/etc since you never know what gear upgrades you'll be using.

For raiding, your options are Mutilate (51/5/5) or Combat Swords (5/51/5).

Technically, my HaT lol-sub spec is viable as well, but I'm assuming you aren't already in a raid guild, and you'd get laughed at immediately if you app'd as Sub.

At 70, CSwords is marginally better on things that aren't murderable, Mutilate on things that are. In either case, they're very close, so spec for whichever you have weapons for.

At 80, Mutilate pulls forward more and is generally in front regardless of the target.

What are the differences between mutilate and combat from a gameplay standpoint? Is one more DOT based and the other instant?

Also, where can I get a list of which talent upgrades to buy in order to achieve those specs?

Since you seem to be leveling to 70 now, and will be leveling from 70 to 80 in two weeks, I'd say just stick with combat and don't spec into swords/maces/etc since you never know what gear upgrades you'll be using.

Well, I was asking because I have equipment for both daggers and swords, so either would be an option. I've got my skill points for both up now, too. So far, all but one of my talent points has gone into the Combat tree. I just don't know which is going to be more viable long-term, but it looks like dual-wielding swords might be the answer for better dps. Seems to be more consistent rather than burst-dependent. All of the spec stuff is pretty new to me; I've been playing for 2 weeks now.

Mutilate is more bursty, and faster at dropping solo mobs.

Combat is smoother damage and better at handling bad pulls (AR/KS/BF).

They both level fine, but I enjoy leveling more as Mut. (Did it 60 --> 70, and on beta, and will on live)

At least you admit it.
It's only because I know he can't resist not commenting on it. :lol:
Apparently you weren't around for the past two years when the rogue community attempted a petition to change Vanish's name to Maybe.
Pessi has no idea what he's talking about. Feannag, on the other hand, rules at rogues.
Don't get me wrong, I like playing a rogue. But I have never played a rogue in any capacity outside non-heroic 5-mans and my gear has always been sub-par. And I was more or less disillusioned by the fact the rogue's trademark daggers have more or less been totally shelved in PvP in lieu of maces and swords. And yes I'm aware Mut can own now (my own rogue is Mut right now) but in both PvE and PvP you really need to have very good gear in order to pull off the numbers. Having quest greens/blue isn't going to cut it compared to welfare epics with melee enchants.

Last edited:
I'm leveling my rogue right now. I'm at level 35 and loving combat. I am using swords but don't think I'll actually spec into sword spec. It's a 5% chance per hit but as I'm leveling mobs only live about 12 seconds against me, so I'm pretty sure if I did spec into swords I'd get about one proc every ~3 mobs, really not worth 5 talent points IMO. It makes sense to spec into swords if you're going to be fighting a boss mob in a 8 minute long encounter, but against equal level mobs for leveling I just don't think you can justify throwing 5 talent points into it.

Specced combat swords at 62 on my rogue. My damage over the course of a fight is pretty high, and my burst isn't too shabby. If you have a fast enough OH sword, you'll see the sword spec proc quite a bit. Even at mobs my own level, it can often proc 2-3 times per fight. I did 46-52 with a thrash blade main hand and was seeing triple "extra swing" proc from SCT.

Back