[Help Me!!] I can't update my WoW :(

[GF]Drakkan

Veteran XX
I have just Formatted my computer and went to install WoW again.

Once the game was installed, i downloaded the patch via Blizzard updater and once running it, I was welcomed with this:

The folder "<temporary data>" could not be created.
The file "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WoW-2.3.0-enUS-patch.exe" could not be read, because an error 1 occurred. If this problem persists, you may be able to solve it by uninstalling and then reinstalling the game. If you are unable to correct this problem, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (MPQEnumerator::Enumerate)

This is a Fresh install of EVERYTHING, even the OS. so i highly doubt it is any issue regarding any other software...

System:

Windows XP SP3
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @3.0 GHz
Geforce 8800GT
2 GB OCZ PC2 6400
SB Live!

I have also tried the disk clean up solution (even though fresh install) and install in safe mode solution spoke about on the WoW forums.. Anyone have any ideas at all?
I have also downloaded a stand alone patch and have the exact same issues :(

I just reactivated my account and really wanted to get my WoW-on this long weekend

Interesting, I just re-installed to Vista ultimate and I'm getting roughly the same error. Except it says something about being unable to rename something involving trash. Repair utility came back fine and yet it did it a second time.

WoW Client Patch Log said:
The file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Blizzard Entertainment\World of Warcraft\Uninstall.xml" could not be renamed to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Blizzard Entertainment\World of Warcraft\Uninstall.xml.Trash". (ConflictManager::ResolveConflicts/3)

To check this installation for problems, click the "Repair" button. The Repair tool can automatically fix many update errors.

Have nearly the same specs as you but 4GB RAM.

Last edited:
Interesting, I just re-installed to Vista ultimate and I'm getting roughly the same error. Except it says something about being unable to rename something involving trash. Repair utility came back fine and yet it did it a second time.

Have nearly the same specs as you but 4GB RAM.

I tried a repair as well and it seemed to repair fine.. but the error persisted..

Post in my thread on the wow forums
World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> [HELP] Can not update WoW

hopefully they will get someone on it

Done and posted. I'm a little pissed because I awoke prematurely for work and I was hoping this would be done since that 700+ MB patch took 2 hours. I knew I shouldn't have done this so close to 3.0 patch day, WTH was I thinking...

I just moved the 700+ MB patch to my backup drive and ran it from there and it worked. So try that and see it works.

Last edited:
Done and posted. I'm a little pissed because I awoke prematurely for work and I was hoping this would be done since that 700+ MB patch took 2 hours. I knew I shouldn't have done this so close to 3.0 patch day, WTH was I thinking...

I just moved the 700+ MB patch to my backup drive and ran it from there and it worked. So try that and see it works.

i have tried that patch and it didn't work :(

SO i think i have found the issue that is causing this.

First i will let you know how i fixed it.

i downloaded this patch a total of 4-5 times. 3 of which were through the blizzard downloader.
It seems that every time i would close the downloader and resume it would mess the file up some how
*seems the CRC was coming back wrong...*

The last and final time i downloaded the 1st patch, i set it to go while i slept. When i woke up, it was patched.

**Please note that after every patch download I had to remove the patch files from my hard drive so it wouldn't just check the corrupt file...

On to the second patch.

This one downloaded fine and when it went to install, it got about 20% ish in to the install and crashed.
The error it gave me was Bad CRC.

I then used Blizzard Repair util (which told me WoW was badly damaged). It ran through the files and reverted my WoW back to 2.0 at which time i re-applied the 2.3 patch and tried the 2.4 patch again.

This time it worked fine! and the rest of the updates came smoothly.

If i had to make a wild guess at what is happening here, I think the Blizz updater is having a hard time putting together the parts of the patch as they stream in to the computer.. Be this the Blizz updaters fault, internet issue on my end / their end, or a router etc etc i don't know.. hopefully this will be looked at though because it seems i am not the only one with this issue.

I already told you earlier. I copied the 700+MB patch to another location and then I ran the patch from that location and it worked fine.

I already told you earlier. I copied the 700+MB patch to another location and then I ran the patch from that location and it worked fine.

that isn't what i did though.. i Deleted.. Re Downloaded and ran from the same place it was before..

At any rate, it works now thank god!!

sigh

An error was detected while verifying the contents of the file "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Data\common-2.MPQ". There may be a problem with your system, or with the drive at C:\. You can attempt to install again. If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support.
To check this installation for problems, click the "Repair" button. The Repair tool can automatically fix many update errors.

repair came up with no fixes. yawn.

sigh

An error was detected while verifying the contents of the file "C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Data\common-2.MPQ". There may be a problem with your system, or with the drive at C:\. You can attempt to install again. If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support.

repair came up with no fixes. yawn.

Kyuss this is what i did

Me said:
downloaded this patch a total of 4-5 times. 3 of which were through the blizzard downloader.
It seems that every time i would close the downloader and resume it would mess the file up some how
*seems the CRC was coming back wrong...*

The last and final time i downloaded the 1st patch, i set it to go while i slept. When i woke up, it was patched.

**Please note that after every patch download I had to remove the patch files from my hard drive so it wouldn't just check the corrupt file...

On to the second patch.

This one downloaded fine and when it went to install, it got about 20% ish in to the install and crashed.
The error it gave me was Bad CRC.

I then used Blizzard Repair util (which told me WoW was badly damaged). It ran through the files and reverted my WoW back to 2.0 at which time i re-applied the 2.3 patch and tried the 2.4 patch again.

This time it worked fine! and the rest of the updates came smoothly.

yea, im on my work laptop, and it started/stopped a lot. but my home pc, which patched no problem, d/l'd all @ once.

i copied the patch onto a thumb drive, brought it to work, but it still failed. i'm guessing my wow install is somehow fucked up.

im reinstalling everything now.

yea, im on my work laptop, and it started/stopped a lot. but my home pc, which patched no problem, d/l'd all @ once.

i copied the patch onto a thumb drive, brought it to work, but it still failed. i'm guessing my wow install is somehow fucked up.

im reinstalling everything now.

hopefully it works man!
i am having problems with the new patch :(

still a no go on my laptop. i've grabbed the patch files 3 different times, reinstalled wow, and ran the repair tool a ton and haven't come up with a error.

here are the specific errors i'm getting:

2.4.X to 3.0.XBC Install Log

i cant imagine what it could be. anyone else have this kind of issue?

Easiest fix when you have a copy that won't patch is to just copy your entire WoW folder from a working install (minus WTF/Cache/Interface/Screenshots).

I had to do that for my wife's PC, we couldn't get her shit to patch at all.

Back