Blizzard wins $6 million in court case with MMO Glider

silentsam

Veteran X
WoW Insider said:
Another chapter of the Blizzard versus Glider story has come to a close. Blizzard and MDY Industries have been going at it over Glider since 2006, in a battle that's been rather important. Not only has it been about Glider doing something wrong, it's been about how well an EULA will hold up in court. That's something the entire gaming industry, especially MMOs, have their eyes on. If Blizzard had lost, it would have had a negative impact across the entire industry.

Blizzard is most certainly not losing. According to BBC News (among other sources), they just won $6 million from MDY Industries, which is less than what was expected of them. This isn't their first victory in the war, but it's the first involving money. Blizzard could still appeal the ruling, so it may not necessarily be over, though I personally think the point has been made as far as damages. There are still further chapters in the story that await, because they'll be in court again in January of 2009 to resolve further issues.

This entire debacle is the perfect formula to rally people on MDY's side here on the internet. Blizzard is Goliath, and MDY is David. People are, generally, going to be on the side of Glider's makers just because siding with the little guy feels more familiar. Personally though, I feel like MDY Industries just got what was coming to them. They broke WoW's Terms of Service, enabled thousands of others to do the same, and they cast the first stone when it came to the lawsuits. They were pretty much begging Blizzard to crush them underfoot. They were doing a jig around the room singing, "You can't touch me, you can't touch me!" and then Blizzard backhanded them across the face.

URL: Blizzard wins $6 million in court case with MMO Glider - WOW Insider

$6 million dollars isn't about making money off the court case, it is about compensation for the money blizzard spent adapting warden to catch people with glider, dealing with tickets from people that report people that are assumed to be using glider, having gms watch people to justify a ban before warden could pickup on glider.

Having 10+ million users makes even minor problems cost a lot of money, and this went on for 2 years. Even small patches with no added content for WoW probably cost $250,000+ by the time they go live.

$6 million dollars isn't about making money off the court case, it is about compensation for the money blizzard spent adapting warden to catch people with glider, dealing with tickets from people that report people that are assumed to be using glider, having gms watch people to justify a ban before warden could pickup on glider.

Having 10+ million users makes even minor problems cost a lot of money, and this went on for 2 years. Even small patches with no added content for WoW probably cost $250,000+ by the time they go live.

No its about using a EULA in court and having it hold up

I would laugh (and be quite impressed) if blizzard took their costs from patches and court for glider related stuff off the top and donated the rest to charity. Obviously won't happen, but it'd be like kicking them while they were down.

No its about using a EULA in court and having it hold up

Sadly that's what it's all about. I know in criminal trial you can use precedence, which is pretty much saying since prior case A is identical to present case B in terms of charges then it should be ruled the same way as case A. I wouldn't think it's not unlikely later on down the line companies could use this ruling as precedence to auto-win future cases involving EULAs.

dont you guys ever pay attention to spammers? they always get ordered to pay money and never pay a dime and always keep spamming.

glider isnt finished.

Back