3.0 Mut spec ideas

Shopper47

Veteran X
Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on speccing for the 3.0 pre wotlk period coming up. I am fumbling through a few of the points, but this is where I'm basically looking now:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Lots of fun, most of what I want. Missing Murder though, and Remorseless Attacks is only really fun in big BG battles which is all I'll be in. A couple other spots I'm moving things around trying to work out but I think this will be 'OK'.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Turn The Tables doesn't seem that impressive to me, on paper anyway. I would think it would depend on if there's a kind of "proc cap" in place, like it will only proc X times within Y seconds. If there isn't and it'll keep proccing every time someone in your party/raid parries (and there's no distance limitation) you could definitely go to town. But if there is any such limitations in place I would be skeptical it would be worth it.

But again, that's on paper right now.

What is the theorycrafting on poison application? Do they count is as "spells" for purposes of resisting/dispelling? Vile Poisons is a no-brainer, but I don't have enough info on posion application to see the importance of Imp. Posions.

Threw this one together off the top of my head, though I guess Turn The Tables would work better in raids, there's still not enough information on actual application yet. I mean will it keep proccing indefinitely? Is there a distance limitation to you and the people who parry to proc it? But then I'm sure someone has already theorycrafted that out already from beta.

A) You linked JM5k's spec.
B) What is there to be confused about with regard to Imp. Poisons? It procs on 10% more attacks... A 6 year old can understand that.
C) TTT is up 100% of the time in raids. I'm sure it has a range limit, but I never felt the need to find out what it is.

Edit: Wowhead says 100 yards.

Last edited:
A) You linked JM5k's spec.
B) What is there to be confused about with regard to Imp. Poisons? It procs on 10% more attacks... A 6 year old can understand that.
C) TTT is up 100% of the time in raids. I'm sure it has a range limit, but I never felt the need to find out what it is.

Edit: Wowhead says 100 yards.

A. Not sure what happened with that. Sometimes CTRL-C doesn't feel like working at times, to the point of slamming on it.

B. To you it would be, since you are a "professional" raider who is most likely already hit-capped. Poison can't proc if you don't hit the thing. But I could see it since Mut specs pretty much bank on Deadly Poison.

C. Well if T3 pretty much continuously procs if that much parrying happens then yeah it is worth it. I suspected there was some kind of hidden "can one happen once every X seconds/minutes" thing involved. Because usually if it's too good to be true then it probably is.

Last edited:
A. Not sure what happened with that. Sometimes CTRL-C doesn't feel like working at times, to the point of slamming on it.

B. To you it would be, since you are a "professional" raider who is most likely already hit-capped. Poison can't proc if you don't hit the thing. But I could see it since Mut specs pretty much bank on Deadly Poison.

C. Well if T3 pretty much continuously procs if that much parrying happens then yeah it is worth it. I suspected there was some kind of hidden "can one happen once every X seconds/minutes" thing involved. Because usually if it's too good to be true then it probably is.

Dodge, parry or block, which is pretty much all a tank does when he isn't getting hit.

Dodge, parry or block, which is pretty much all a tank does when he isn't getting hit.

That's precisely why I was thinking there was a hidden "proc once every X second/minute" mechanic to it. With all that on a tank even on normal non-heroic dungeon runs that sounds like 3T would pretty much be up all of the time. I didn't think they would allow such a thing, but if Pessi has already tested it and it does actually proc continuously like that then there's not much more to say about it. That and cross your fingers they don't nerf it later.

Not taking Imp. Poisons and Vile Poisons is a huge mistake.

I would put that in an 80 spec, this is just my pew pew oct 3.0 spec. What would you move around to fit 8 extra pts in? 3 from TtT, 5 from Leth? I was hoping to keep fulltime deadly/wounding with DB specced in, drop evis and just envenom to tie in VP?

Turn the tables procs non-stop in BGs. It would be useless for arena though. You need to have improved poisons and vile poisons isnt that great, because most peopel use wound/mind-numbing, and they arent affected by that spell.

This is what I'm using in beta right now and its working great

That's precisely why I was thinking there was a hidden "proc once every X second/minute" mechanic to it. With all that on a tank even on normal non-heroic dungeon runs that sounds like 3T would pretty much be up all of the time. I didn't think they would allow such a thing, but if Pessi has already tested it and it does actually proc continuously like that then there's not much more to say about it. That and cross your fingers they don't nerf it later.

I dont think theres a cooldown on it, if it is its really short. Like i said its on all the time...the proc noise kinda sucks though, its annoying hearing it over and over :\

Anyone here not that impressed with Hunger For Blood? Reading it makes it sound not as great as Murder Spree or Shadow Dance, it's making me consider just doing 41 or 44 there (should still get Master Poisoner) and putting the rest elsewhere.

Anyone have any actual experience with Hunger for Blood in PTR/beta?

I would put that in an 80 spec, this is just my pew pew oct 3.0 spec. What would you move around to fit 8 extra pts in? 3 from TtT, 5 from Leth? I was hoping to keep fulltime deadly/wounding with DB specced in, drop evis and just envenom to tie in VP?
I'm assuming we're talking just PvP since you want to run wound. BGs? 2s? 5s?

I'm not really sure it's worth it to go 51 deep for PvP at 70 since HfB got nerfed. It only removes Rupture/Deep Wounds, and you have to give up a fair bit from the other trees to get it. I'd consider something like this, personally: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

If you really want to go 51/x/x for PvP, probably something like: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

I hate leaving out Relentless Strikes, but it's really not worth it for 5 points.

I'll admit the energy-regaining skills have always been pretty critical given it's on a 2 second regen timer, but will it still be as desirable when the new energy regen rules kick in? From what I played n beta it's a lot more fluid, and maybe you won't need to wait that 2 seconds to get back enough energy to use the next attack.

And yeah, HfB seems a bit lackluster. I mean +3% damage doesn't seem that great, especially when you are probably using knives. And the bleed effect healing is entirely too specific for a 51-point talent. If you're fighting/duelling other rogues or warriors sure, but that's too situationally specific.

Turn the tables procs non-stop in BGs. It would be useless for arena though. You need to have improved poisons and vile poisons isnt that great, because most peopel use wound/mind-numbing, and they arent affected by that spell.

This is what I'm using in beta right now and its working great

You don't have Opportunity, and you took Find Weakness over Murder.

Last edited:
I'll admit the energy-regaining skills have always been pretty critical given it's on a 2 second regen timer, but will it still be as desirable when the new energy regen rules kick in? From what I played n beta it's a lot more fluid, and maybe you won't need to wait that 2 seconds to get back enough energy to use the next attack.

The new energy regen is nice but you're still gaining 10 energy per second. Any rogue playing any build without relentless strikes is going to miss it sorely (unfortunately going without it will sometimes be a necessity), and Mutilate will continue to be one of the more energy starved builds.

Back