So long priest racials

Smaqaho

Veteran XV
from WotLK Beta (US-English) Forums -> Upcoming Priest racial changes
In an upcoming build all Priest racials have been retired, except the following:

- Desperate Prayer - This is now the 11-point talent in Holy, Holy Nova is now a base ability. Cooldown also reduced to 30 seconds.
- Devouring Plague - Now a base ability. Cooldown reduced to 30 seconds, mana cost greatly reduced.
- Symbol of Hope - Now a base ability. Now restores 5% base mana every 2 seconds for 8 seconds to your party. Renamed "Hymn of Hope."

While this change does reduce the "uniqueness" of different Priests, we feel game balance as a whole will benefit.

Note: These new "racials" are not racials, they are trainable to all Priests.
30 second cooldown on DP?! The only two times I'll ever cast it today are if/when Inner Focus is up (and I won't have IF in 3.0 as PVE DPS) or when grinding mobs or questing for a cheap renew without dropping shadowform. With a 30 second cd we'll have some added survivability because unless they change the dmg coefficients that's ~500 healed to self every 3 seconds. This change will be amazing with all of the constant damage taken in Sunwell Plateau.

Current Devouring Plague:
1145 mana - 1216 shadow dmg over 24 seconds (raid buffed it's ~4k dmg over the duration or ~450/tick dmg and healed to self). With a 30 second cd that's another DoT that's up 80% of the time giving an additional 5% dmg buff to mind flay and mind blast with 5/5 Twisted Faith.

what is your new shadow spec at 80, just curious :p I'm having a ton of fun as smite, only because the healing is still great with it

Nice to see priests getting un dps capped, esp with mind flay critting (I can't get used to it still).

Hit me up as Frijoles on the 80 premade server if you are in beta :D

Ah, suck it dwarves. Finally I get to ditch my worthless Hex of Weakness and semi-worthless shadowguard and pick up something useful.

Feels gooooood.

Use DP as a renew without dropping out of shadowform?

:lol:

Durrrrrrrrrrr (holy spells break shadow form nub)
:picard:
Devouring Plague (NOT Desperate Prayer) heals for the same amount of damage it deals each time it ticks, by using it I get a cheap ass renew that heals me for about 4k over 24 seconds without having to drop shadow form.

For a Vet++ you'd think you would've read the fucking post and understood what I was talking about seeing that the entire sentence was obviously talking about the current undead racial spell.

Last edited:
I have the 15/56 spec on Murmur and the pain and suffering is absolutly fantastic. I do seem to burn through mana like crazy but can see in a PVE environment with DS and raid buffs consumables won't be needed as much. The fact now spirit plays a huge role also will allow for some interesting balance issues when weighing spirt vs damage or haste gear. I like the added boost for holy dps for leveling to 80 also. It is much needed for holy guys trying to level and run instances on the way to 80.

I was kind of divided on the DP issue but as stated reducing the cooldown is huge and is going to make the free health regen every 30 seconds very nice.

Patch should go live 2 weeks before release.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pri...000000000000000000320323051023010325152301351

I think will be my 3.0.2 patch build, I'll let the holy priests toss around fort. It's either that or drop Mind Melt 2/2 and I'd rather go full out DPS.

At level 80 probably:
http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pri...000000000000000000320323051023010325152301351

Having no Inner Focus is going to be odd, I've had it in every respec I think since hitting level 60. The changes to Inner Fire make the 3/3 improved talent seem amazing (~50 spell power). If VE is a must like in Sunwell today I'd just go 3/5 Unbreakable Will and put those 2 points into Imp VE (or 5/5 UW and once again leave Imp PW Fortitude up to healers).

Back