Blizzard's "threat meter" is in

FalseMyrmidon

1700+
Veteran XV
WoW Forums -> "100% Threat!"

It's part of their SCT. Shows up as showing a percentage of the threat you have of the target that has aggro. IE my pet is tanking and it says 70%, once I hit 100% I pull aggro.

Decent but Omen is definitely better. However this does mean that addon makers will have full access to threat information and it will be a lot more accurate.

I think I kind of liked the game better when there were a few things left to instinct, and that were generally unknowable. I'm sure I'll get flamed by the min/max crowd, but whatever. The more transparent it gets, the more it loses an intangable fun factor.

Obviously being able to see your relative threat isn't new. It just seems to me that they could have found a hell of a lot more elegant way to clue people into how much they've pissed off monster X that fits into the game for the average player if they were so inclined, than a straight up 1-100 percentage number. Have it emote at the player when they hit like 90% or something so they catch the hint, and it isn't so painfully blunt. They could even keep the stupid SCT, and just have it say 'X is glaring at you!' or something to that effect.

This isn't a bad way for them to make people aware of threat in the game, everyone that raids is going to have meters and people that don't use addons will have something for 5 mans that lets them know where they stand.

I doubt it will change much though, people that suck at the game won't pay attention to the numbers.

The first features of the threat meter have been added to the game.
- Your % of threat (based on the member of the party with the highest threat on the monster) is now displayed in the scrolling combat text.
- Your % of threat is now displayed in the tooltips of monsters.
- According to the first reports, the threat is just sent to the client without any encoding now, it will be very easy to build mods to display the exact threat of each member of the raid in the future.

threatmeter1.jpg

threatmeter2.jpg

Last edited:
of course the meters are better, but this mean that the meters just have to read the threat variable that the server send to each client and put it in a nice graph. Right now they have to guess at what each players threat is based on every action every player takes, figuring any talents, buffs, debuffs that would effect the amount of threat. Guess at how much threat is affected by certain boss specials. etc. Threat meters will be small, simple addons in the future and I'm betting we'll see more options for threat meters and it won't require the whole raid to use the same one.

I think I kind of liked the game better when there were a few things left to instinct, and that were generally unknowable. I'm sure I'll get flamed by the min/max crowd, but whatever. The more transparent it gets, the more it loses an intangable fun factor.

Turn it off?

If the first sentence was right, you'd pull at 130% I think.

No, the Blizzard one you pull aggro at 100%. I'm guessing it's saying I'm at 100% of the threat or 30% of the threat needed to pull aggro onto myself. It's not saying that I'm at 30% of the tank's threat.

The API function that returns threat information returns two percentages. Real and Scaled. The scaled one is the one that Blizz SCT displays, and always pulls at 100%. The real value is available and still follows the 110/130 rule.

Obviously being able to see your relative threat isn't new. It just seems to me that they could have found a hell of a lot more elegant way to clue people into how much they've pissed off monster X that fits into the game for the average player if they were so inclined, than a straight up 1-100 percentage number. Have it emote at the player when they hit like 90% or something so they catch the hint, and it isn't so painfully blunt. They could even keep the stupid SCT, and just have it say 'X is glaring at you!' or something to that effect.

the game is patched and updated for endgame players. I agree that somethings should be left to instinct...however, no one at the end game has the instinct for threat at that level. everyone is trying to max their dps as much as possible for fights that require max dps from everyone. kinda glad they added it in.

the game is patched and updated for endgame players. I agree that somethings should be left to instinct...however, no one at the end game has the instinct for threat at that level. everyone is trying to max their dps as much as possible for fights that require max dps from everyone. kinda glad they added it in.

If Blizzard sees an addon that becomes necessary for playing the game they usually try to add in their own version of it.

Their goal has always been for the game to be playable with the default UI which it is.

and if you dont do endgame, you can do everything in a vanilla, noob, addonless, shit turned off fashion.

Pretty sure it's possible to raid with the base UI. Anyone who considers themselves to be endgame will always use whatever they can to give themselves an edge because they're power gamers.

Back