My thoughts on live shows. Post your own..

Minstrel

Contributor
Veteran XX
Made very few mistakes, the biggest of which was kicking the wrong switch on my behringer midi controller for my amp. Lotsa hot babes sitting on my lap, one returning tonight cause she thinks I am cute.

Not to toot my own horn or anything. I am a decent guitar player when it comes to recording, but I think I put to much thought into what I record, because it's when I am playing live that I trully shine. I am an awesome improvisational guitarist. Out of the 60 songs on our list, I have learned, maybe 8 or 9 solos note for note, the rest I do the main part and all the rest I make up on the spot. Anyone else play like this?

I love playing live. Sweating my balls off under a million watts of light. The applause. Hearing the crowd chant ballsucker, ballsucker, ballsucker on big balls when we stop the music and our singer works the crowd. Coming in from the drum solo into Tie your mother down by queen and hearing the crowd response to that.

If you have never played a live show, you just wait till you get there. There is no better high. If you have played live, tell me what you dig or what you hate.

I hate when drunk people come up to you right after a kick ass set, and you just want to get outside and get some air, and catch your breath, and they try to monopolize you for the entire break. I have gotten to the point where I just say, "I gotta go." and walk away without waiting for a response.

[/ramble]

I love when people talk to us after shows, then again I guess it's because the most people we've ever played too is around like 150 people.

I remember that once we played this horrible little pub and this really drunk guy kept getting his dick out and trying to rub it on like the mic stands and stuff.

God I hate being in a punk band.

It's worth it though.

Edit: and by once I mean like, a dozen or so times, we're locals in there.

Last edited:
My band usually get mauled after a show, we'll have a TON of people coming up saying we were amazing, blah blah, blah blah balhlahdlahs.......Its awesome I love it every time, but its a bitch to get everything off stage during it.

I am all improv and have a running joke over this actually.. I keep key parts and improv the rest... I have been told numerous times even by musicians my solo on hotel California was note for note. I keep the intro and the arpeggios but thats basically it.

A solution to the people crowding you when you get off stage is 1st person you talk to off stage owes you a beer I make it almost like a game but it gets you free drinks helps the bar sell alcohol and lightens the load if you will.

After the show is different. I love talking to people after the show, cause I have (usually) had a chance to cool off and smoke a cigarette.

Alvy, I don't drink on stage. I try to be proffesional and the only thing that I do that may seem unproffesional to most is I smoke a joint before the first set. It kills the first set jitters for me and helps me get in the groove faster. Yes, I am a pothead. I hope that doesn't change anyones opinion of me.

After the show is different. I love talking to people after the show, cause I have (usually) had a chance to cool off and smoke a cigarette.

Alvy, I don't drink on stage. I try to be proffesional and the only thing that I do that may seem unproffesional to most is I smoke a joint before the first set. It kills the first set jitters for me and helps me get in the groove faster. Yes, I am a pothead. I hope that doesn't change anyones opinion of me.

then make em buy you a coke... still helps sales

set up and tear down is the worst part of the night. im sober setting up and its a pain, by the time i tear down im wasted and its a pain.

dealing with people afterwards sucks. that and ego stroking cock sucking bands who think they are gods gift. i dont play the ego game and i hate it when others do.

the best part of live gigs though has got to be the free beer. thats really the only reason i do it anymore i guess. not that im too cheap to buy beer, its just nice to have pint after pint delivered to me while im on stage.

set up and tear down is the worst part of the night. im sober setting up and its a pain, by the time i tear down im wasted and its a pain.

dealing with people afterwards sucks. that and ego stroking cock sucking bands who think they are gods gift. i dont play the ego game and i hate it when others do.

the best part of live gigs though has got to be the free beer. thats really the only reason i do it anymore i guess. not that im too cheap to buy beer, its just nice to have pint after pint delivered to me while im on stage.

I have been known to say "boy am I thirsty up here under these hot lights" MANY times during a night.... then shortly after a tray of drinks slides up on the edge of the stage or shots :) gotta love it.

Back