Why I'm not playing T2

Natural

Veteran XX
Has anything changed? Cuz it seems like T2 servers are going down and T1 is becoming more popular. Hrm...

/me causes havoc.

=)

----------------------------

-Heroism is gone
-the gameplay lacks grace
-you can't feel the enjoyment of a powerful disk shot that knocks a guy off track or finishes him off in a nice, crisp, explosion.
-same thing, except with mortars
-more time is spent traveling than playing
-skilled disk fighting D < robotic rocket launcher D
-it feels like you're bulky in a huge mountain-filled world
-poorly designed maps with flags indoors that are far too easily defended by overpowered turrets
-the overpowered tank running over people
-since you can't capture the flag so often in the capture the flag game mode, you get points for touching it instead
-the network code was rewritten to become horrible... how many sub 30 pings do you see in T2 vs. Tribes/Quake/etc?
-the game was the vision of one man instead of many
-the beta process was oversized, then undersized, then rushed in order to meet deadlines (T1 was created much more carefully)
-the wonderful promised ability to permanently ban accounts from servers was removed and now they claim that they would "never support such a design element"
-renegades players are far too satisfied
-the lead designer called Scarabre the best T1 CTF map (no joke)

I'm tired of typing. Feel free to flame, or add more to the list.

The tribes community is what made this sequel possible, yet most of us were utterly ignored. Ten years from now when people look back at T2, the greatness of Tribes 2 will be measured by its sales. And the artists of the original Tribes (whom we all owe a immeasurable amount of respect), most of which have left Dynamix, will soon be forgotten.

While this post is critical flame, it is also a pledge of thanks. An acknowledgement that although the sequel was tainted, I respect original the Dev TEAM members who created the first game, this community, and made our online lives memorable.

-Natural of IE

Last edited:
doom sez: maybe you should stop being such a cowboy and learn to play TEAMplay. treibes2 isn't about being a good player its about being a good TEAMplayer. TEAMplay on an epic scale so stop being such a cowboy.

a bad imitation...there can only be one andrew :\

no offense to nat, i agree with you 100%, but if some one else were to post this, you guys would all be flamin em, instead of agreeing with em.

I would say that everything you said Natural has a slanted view. Some of it is true, (the turrets are overpowered), but some of it like no skilled D is taking a stereotypical view wouldn't you say. Tribes 2 is great game (in my opinion) and sorry if you don't like it, but then again everyone in this world cannot be pleased.

Maybe a new Tribes 2 expert league, with some well setup modifications, could revive the community. We'll be playing T1, of course.

-Heroism is gone
What?
-you can't feel the enjoyment of a powerful disk shot that knocks a guy off track or finishes him off in a nice, crisp, explosion.
-same thing, except with mortars
Am I missing something here?
-since you can't capture the flag so often in the capture the flag game mode, you get points for touching it instead
Since when was capping all that hard?
-the wonderful promised ability to permanently ban accounts from servers was removed and now they claim that they would "never support such a design element"
When did they say that?!
-the lead designer called Scarabre the best T1 CTF map (no joke)
It was. Damn that whole "teamwork" thing, huh?

Can someone confirm: network code in T2 has almost nothing to do with your ping times. A ping is not much more than a measure of latency. How can you fuck up a latency measurement.

Note, I'm not weighing in on whether the network code is good/bad. I've no clue. I just don't think ping has anything to do with the network coding for gameplay. Packets take a certain amount of time to reach the server and return. They probably don't have a lot of extra latency introduced by the networking code.

10 Pages by morning...

Anyway snapple's right...but in any case

Tribes 2 is plain boring and I'm proud to say I promptly returned my copy after playing for a while.

Thanks for making T1, but you couldn't have fucked up the sequel any more.

"Duh."

Seriously though, I've been saying/thinking the same thing for a long time now, but I know I'll just be attacked anyhow, and it doesn't do any good, so what's the point. T2 is still enjoyable, just nowhere near what Tribes was.

"-the overpowered tank running over people "

Um last I looked you have a jetpack and the tank doesn't.

Oh yeah! They managed to take away the fun of jetpacking. It's so un smooth and heavy and it just feels like you are carrying around a ton of bricks. Glad to mention it.

Killarmy> Let me get something straight... from what I've heard, the majority of Tribes 2 design and gameplay was NOT the vision of the original DEV team, but rather one of outside sources who didn't ever truly appriciate Tribes 1, and that is one of my main points.

Back