Creative MP3 removed FM Recording

Hitman_T

Veteran XX
Running like a dog with it's tail between the legs Creative has made a ethically bad choice on cheating all of it's current users of Zen MicroPhoto and Zen Vision:M players. The latest patch they will release will remove the Recording from FM feature from the players. This is because of the RIAA. So if you bought one and you install the patch you have been cheated.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4566

The RIAA strikes again

It looks like the RIAA's war on music pirates continues to affect not only legitimate consumers but music companies as well. This week, Creative announced that it will be removing FM radio recording from its portable music players from here on out. Creative has released a new firmware update for its Zen MicroPhoto and Zen Vision:M players that removes FM recording. We're finding it baffling that owners of the above products would rush to download such an update.

Earlier this year, XM Satellite Radio was handed a lawsuit by the RIAA for allow its subscribers to record satellite radio broadcasts onto portable XM players. XM argued that while users were able to record whatever they pleased, the songs were not transferable and users were not able to move data onto a computer. Despite this important detail, the RIAA pressed forward anyway, indicating that it wanted XM to pay a hefty $150,000 for every song that XM users downloaded.

MP3s, satellite radio and FM radio are all part of the RIAA's music portfolio. Companies are now facing stricter regulations and consumers continue to face ongoing lawsuits.

Besides removing FM recording off its new Zen firmware, Creative also introduced several minor fixes such as video zooming and language support.

Big deal. Don't install the patch if you want to record radio. It's not like the patch does much else.

Big deal. Don't install the patch if you want to record radio. It's not like the patch does much else.

This means the next series they make will not have the feature at all. I record meetings broadcasted via FM in small areas. I use it for NPR. I have my own home use FM transmitter that I should be allowed to record from.

Another reason to stick with iRiver.

why this was never problem before when you could stick a fucking cassette tape in a stereo and hit record, i dont even know. how many fucking mix tapes did i make from FM stations back in the day i cant remember. but NOW its a problem to record the radio?

whatever fuckface, people just like to cry because they cant get music for free. fuck off.

No, you fuck off. It's the "Whatever. I don't get the point but it doesn't effect me so whatever" assholes like you that are allowing our RIGHTS to be nibbled away by the money-grubbing pigopolists. It's the do-nothings like you that don't lift a finger unless something directly effects them that are half the problem.

It is 100% legal to record broadcast music for your own personal use. But it won't be for along. Thanks to you. :fu:

(damn I'm argumentative today) :D

Back