[So] I got mad at a factual error in a fictional book...

SL83

Veteran XV
WTF? I'm reading the Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks, and I got angry at a factual error. He said "Living humans use less than 5% of their brain capacity." First chapter.

I know this is incorrect. And it bothers me. Wtf is wrong with me?

The book seems cool so far, though. Thank you Oink :)

You're kidding yourself if you think we know what percent of our brain we use.

5% is as likely as 10%.

You're kidding yourself if you think we know what percent of our brain we use.

5% is as likely as 10%.

Yeah because we don't have MRIs, CAT scans, PET, or SPECT. :rolleyes:

And I wasn't talking about 10%. We know that that is a common myth that is widely accepted, just like the whole "You have to drink 8 glasses of water a day."

Of course we have those tests. Please give me the equation that shows how electrical impulses or blood flow correlates to percent brain used.

We have no idea.

Of course we have those tests. Please give me the equation that shows how electrical impulses or blood flow correlates to percent brain used.

We have no idea.
If a neuron in the brain is active, that means "being used in my book".

That would seem to suggest that any neuron that is not dead counts towards brain usage.

the misconectop is that it is believed only 5-10% is used for actual cognitive though

the other 85-90% is used for all of the other behind-the-scenes operations such as motor skills, speech, the senses, memory storage, and everyday subconcious thought processing.

I am in no way an expert.

inccorrectomundo

brainSection.gif

oink?
you didn't even buy it and you are getting mad, what a fag.

I'm in Poland right now, and they definitely don't have this book in the book stores. And on the extremely unlikely chance that they did, it would be in Polish, and I really don't feel like reading something like this in Polish. Newspapers are ok, but I don't have the required grasp of the language to read it in Polish.

Oh wait, who the fuck are you. STFU Vet 2. Shove a pineapple up your ass.

Back