So I'm interested in EVE... [VIRGE]

Excel

Contributor
... not so much for combat, but for crafting, industry and the like. I've been told to ask for Virge as he knows his shit :D

So, fill me in on how crafting works, how tough and how much time it takes to become a decent shipfitter. I'd like to start up a production bitch and just make ships, maybe run some combat now and then.

Excel said:
... not so much for combat, but for crafting, industry and the like. I've been told to ask for Virge as he knows his shit :D

So, fill me in on how crafting works, how tough and how much time it takes to become a decent shipfitter. I'd like to start up a production bitch and just make ships, maybe run some combat now and then.

:rofl:

I expect you to sign on, see how complicated that area is and how hard you have to work, / quit.

In all honesty, this game's rewards are the highest you'll ever experience in a game.

Like I said in the big eve thread in GD, I miss crafting since SWG went all gay. The fact that skills and production train up while I'm not there is cool, since I wont have to give up time in CoH unless i want to, unlike WoW.

Yeah, pretty much the only thing you have to stay logged on for is to genereate ISK. I guess if you get a good start in the industrial stuff you're making money buy building stuff, so you have to be logged on for very little.

Im going to grab the trial when I get hom tonight then, give it a shot. CoH is kinda meh until the new issue comes out, so I can build up cash until then.

Word of advice, read through all of hani's shit, and make sure you join the "Tribalwar" channel, because starting out is kinda rough.

Excel, I decided to give this game another shot and re-activated my account today. If you want, we can try to play/learn the game together. I only had maybe 6-8 hours at the most of play time on the account so it shouldn't be too hard for you to catch up.

ViRGE said:
Read the EVE manufacturing gude and then get back to me. You need to start there before you can really know enough to start asking questions.
Hmm. Okay, different from SWG crafting and a little more complex, but I think I get it. I really like that so much of this stuff is realtime, so I could set it up then go do other shit.

Thing is, does the TW corp need a shipbuilder, and how long would it take until I would be a useful builder considering the current state of the game? Two months? Three? A year?

A quick rundown of the general manufacturing process however is this:

First you need the right skills, most of these will be in the industry and science skill sets but you'll need things in other areas as well (ie. Trade to better buy and sell things).

Second you'll need minerals, because you can't build crap without the raw resources. Pretty much all the low level stuff uses just minerals (in different amounts) but the more high level stuff starts using components and other advanced items. You either have to buy these or build them yourself before hand.

Third you need a blueprint, you can't do any building without a blueprint (this is a little similar to how you craft in SWG except you buy the BP you want instead of gaining one based on skill). What you start with will depend a bit on the area you start in and if you feel like specializing in anything. You can either start building off of it (if you have the minerals), or do reasearch on it. Research generally makes the item cheaper to build (less minerals) and faster to build (faster turn around time, so 50 minutes instead of 60). Research can be quite expensive however so you might not be doing this right away. In the mean time there are a few skills you can train to help in this area. There's also a difference between an original and a copy. An original can be researched on and can be used for an unlimited amount of builds. A copy cannot be researched on and has a limited number of runs.

Fourth you need to decide what. For a beginner then ammo might be a good bet, cheap to make and it gets you a decent profit. Plus it's guarenteed that everyone needs ammo eventually. You could jump straight to doing ships but it's good to know which ships people will actually buy first. You would be starting in the frigate class though.

And then you just sell it for a price folks will buy it at while giving you at least some profit.

Excel said:
Thing is, does the TW corp need a shipbuilder, and how long would it take until I would be a useful builder considering the current state of the game? Two months? Three? A year?

Shouldn't take long at all, you can almost literally start building stuff within seconds of getting in game. It's more about getting the resources and skills to improve your output.

Is it better to pick a high int/mem race or try to go with a balanced one. I see for manufacturing, it's all int/memory attribute.

Also, are implants expensive? It seem training learning skills take millions of dollars.

Someone had given up their mining account, it's in a thread somewhere around here. He said if he decided to play again he'd only do it if he went PvP. Ask him for his account :p

Since I'm not much on pvp, and wont have the time to really go nuts, I'd at least like to feel useful to the corp.

And, to me, nothing says useful like cranking out weapons and warships :D

ELB, any guess on what name to look or the thread title?

The only catch there is that a lot of folks have moved beyond frigates. Battleships and interceptors are more common, and the blueprints for those can easily cost 200 million or more. Plus anything that's Tech2 is extremely hard to get your hands on (the blueprints for these items are handed out via a lottery system, the idea being not to have too many of them in circulation).

That's not to say you can't be useful, just letting you know the lay of the land. That stuff is far in the future though, you need to build up a nice nest egg as well as your own infrastructure and routines (ie. knowing exactly what the mine, where to mine it, and how fast it'll take, or conversely how much the mineral costs, the best places to buy, how easily folks part with it, and so on).

Kore said:
The only catch there is that a lot of folks have moved beyond frigates. Battleships and interceptors are more common, and the blueprints for those can easily cost 200 million or more. Plus anything that's Tech2 is extremely hard to get your hands on (the blueprints for these items are handed out via a lottery system, the idea being not to have too many of them in circulation).

That's not to say you can't be useful, just letting you know the lay of the land. That stuff is far in the future though, you need to build up a nice nest egg as well as your own infrastructure and routines (ie. knowing exactly what the mine, where to mine it, and how fast it'll take, or conversely how much the mineral costs, the best places to buy, how easily folks part with it, and so on).
Honestly, the materials thing cant be any worse than in Galaxies when I was making armor. I've made peace with putting up with that sort of thing, and with putting time into it.

The materials thing is fine, it's the end product i was referring to more in the first part of that. In the second part it was more about getting in the groove than anything else.

For example i can undock from the station, engage warp to my most frequented asteroid belt, mine until i'm full, and dock back at the station in roughly a 5 minute cycle (with a Retriever with 3100 cargo). It's basically just automatic at this point. Also it has to do with my filing system on keeping the minerals required and cost as preferred asking price all in one quickly accessable place.

Getting materials in Eve is way the hell easier than in SWG.

Excel said:
Hmm. Okay, different from SWG crafting and a little more complex, but I think I get it. I really like that so much of this stuff is realtime, so I could set it up then go do other shit.

TW Corp is basically just a feeder for FREEE anyhow, so it doesn't really need a shipbuilder since it's not a full-time corp. As for being a productive ship builder, there's really nothing you need besides Production Effeciency 5(which gets rid of all skill-related waste), as the other skills are all for increasing the number of manufacturing slots you can use, or for building T2 ships(which you'll never get the BPs for). That said I encourage you to try your hand at building, I have some ship BPCs and other module BPOs I'd be glad to lend you if you come up to Fade/Dek and want to try seeding the market while living up here. Since you only need PE5, you can be a perfect builder in only 3 weeks from scratch(assuming you have your learning done).

The More You Knew: Eskiban Vlasic has Production Efficiency 4 =)

I got addicted to PvP before I started gearing up for production.

Back