Learning skills

endGame

Veteran X
Okay, so I've heard all the reasons not to train Instant Recall and Analytical Mind past 4. Basically the problem is that it takes a year to recover the time invested.

But...

Getting those 2 skills to 5 is a requirement to getting Eidetic Memory and Logic. Since getting those skills to 3 can happen quickly once you get Instant Recall and Analytical Mind to 5...

Does that change the rule of thumb? Has anyone done/seen the math on this?

A year to recover the time invested? Where the hell did you hear that? I think someone has been giving you bad advice. I've seen a single point in memory knock off a day in training other skill. Granted traing it up for 15 days to get that extra point might not be worth it if it's just for that one other skill but when you figure that there are 15 other skills (at least) that receive that bonus in less time it pays off.

If you went and maxed out all the learning skills, you would shave off over 3 YEARS in training for all the other skills (if you were to max all of those out as well).

I think the "take a year to recover" is strictly referring to just the Learning skill, not the skills that improve individual attributes.

well this is how it works...

every skill has a primary attribute and a secondary.

the pirmary helps the speed the most while the secondary helps it a little less but quite a bit...

Spaceship command skills are heavy in Willpower and Perception while industry kills and heavy in intelligence and memory... basically combat stuff = perception and willpower and industry/mining = memory and intelligence with social skills being charisma. of course there is a little but of interconnection but thats the basics...

Your best bet, if you're just starting out, is to train Install Recall, Anal. Mind, and Learning, sequentially to Level 3, 4, or 5, based on how much time you want to spend doing Learning skills. (I.E., train IR to 1, then AM to 1, then LN to 1, then train IR to 2, then AM to 2, etc.) All of the Rank 1 learning skills are dependent on Memory and Intelligence. The SOCT adv. training skills are affected usually by the attribute being raised. After you train your IR, AM, and LN to your level of choice, you can train the other learning skills in any order you see fit, and far quicker than you would if you split them all up in a different order.

Of course, you may want to train a few other skills first so you aren't bankrupt/powerless for the time you spend doing your Learning skills.

Last edited:
Kore said:
A year to recover the time invested? Where the hell did you hear that? I think someone has been giving you bad advice. I've seen a single point in memory knock off a day in training other skill. Granted traing it up for 15 days to get that extra point might not be worth it if it's just for that one other skill but when you figure that there are 15 other skills (at least) that receive that bonus in less time it pays off.

If you went and maxed out all the learning skills, you would shave off over 3 YEARS in training for all the other skills (if you were to max all of those out as well).

Read the EVE forums. It was discussed by the Nerds of EVE in depth.

Ya but most of those go off on weird tangents with imagined facts and baseless assumptions.

For example, the Learning skill decreases the learning time of everything by 2% per level. How does that add a year of training to "recover" if you max that?

I'm a supporter of learning skills...I figure the days of time it takes to train them to 4 is really nothing in the scheme of things. Training them to 5 evens out when I jump to the next level of skills and can train to level three in those in the course of a day or so.

levels 1234 - no time
level 5 - takes time
level 123 (second level skills) - no time.

Back