[Dev]Bot Help Please

Halfscan

Veteran X
I've been messing around with placing bots into MP maps (mainly used to trigger the Base Turrets AI), and I've made some changes to my original setup so that now bot's visibly occupy a turret seat, and can be killed just like a player can.. but I've run into to problems I cannot overcome:

1) Killing a bot displays a kill message in the center of the screen "You killed %1 (+1 Offense)"

2) Killing a bot grants +1 offensive point, even if they were on your own team

3) Being killed by a bot (or bot controlled turret) displays a self kill in the kill hud, ie "Halfscan (weapon icon) Halfscan".

Now, I'm assuming #3 has no workaround, as this also occurs in a standard game if the person who deployed a turret drops.. and it's something I can live with if there is no fix.

#1 & #2 are kind of a problem though.

Ideally I'd either like to be able to get them to function "correctly" (ie "You killed Bot (+1 Offense)"... or -1 for TKing your team's bot)... or just have a way to remove the message and points scored/penalized for bots altogether.

Any help will be appreciated.

-Half

I suspect #3 might get fixed as I believe it also applies to deploying turrets then team switching. I have had team kills rack up because I deployed turrets then switched to the other side when teams weren't balanced.

Hopefully a fix will be some help you, if only because the project I'm working could really use your automated turrets.

#1 and #2 work trough the DamageType actors. I'm not a scripter, but death messages, on-death weapon icons and stuff are all listed in those actors. Go to the actor browser, set it so that it displays unplacable actors only, then look for it under "actors". If it doesnt show click open and load all actor packages, not sure in what package the DamageTypes are. Anyway, you'd have to extend one of the DamageTypes and alter its default properties, then refer to it in your turret.

Last edited:
No joy.

I looked a little at statclasses.MPPersonalStatMessageDefault (which allows youto set default points for kills and message text) and found some stuff of interest... but nothing that allows me to set it up so that the AI won't register as players and award points and trigger messages (ie, I need AI not to register as "kills").

All I can think of at the moment is trying to make my AI bots their own class, rather than a sub-class of default AI... but I'm not really sure how to go about that yet (or if it'll even work).

-Half

<AuDiGy> said:
i knew bots could be made, but i had no idea they were alredy out. plz post link to bot download

Bots are not what your thinking (Tribes 2 bots)

T:V bots have a set area they run around like idiots in, and randomly shoot and enemies. AND have to be Put in to the map Manually. You can just Select how many Bots you want. Or if any at all.

Back