[Tutorial] Beginners Mod Making

MrMeikel

Veteran X
If you have no idea how to mod, then you're in the right place. This tutorial will show you which files go where, and will leave you with a simple mod that works, and that you understand.

Better get started then:

First thing, download this file, place in your root Tribes directory (normally C:\program files\VU Games\Tribes Vengeance\), and extract.
You will now see an extra file in your root directory, called "meikelmod" (if you don't, then you must have made an extracting mistake)

The first thing you must know if you wish to make a mod/mutator etc, is file structure. So open up meikelmod, and look inside, you wil see (if extracted correctly):

Code:
/"Root Folder"/
./Content/
./Program/
./meikelmod
..some .bats
../system/
../classes/
../content/
.../classes/

/system/
in this folder, you must copy all the .ini files from your /bin/ folder (root/program/bin), as well as the shaders.spk file in /bin/
you need to find the .ini that is called "TV_CD_DVD.ini", and rename it to your mod's name. As you can see, in my example files there is a meikelmod.ini (folder name must be the same as .ini name)

/content/
./classes/
this folder just contains the contents of root/content/classes, and is used by the compiler. nothing to change here, just make sure its there!

/classes/
(there is a large difference between /content/classes/ and just /classes - as you will see)
this folder is where you put all your .uc files that you have created. in the example files, it contains just two files - "newspinstats.uc" and "replacethespin.uc".
as the names suggest, "replacethespin.uc" just destroys the old spinfusor, and replaces it with the spinfusor 'made' in "newspinstats.uc". both of these files are easy to understand, although atm I've only played with the "roundspersecond" variable.

Thats all the files you will need, if your scripts are .uc's - well at least i think so.

Now onto changing files to make it into your own mod :

All changes take place in the /system/ folder (apart from changing actual scripts ofc), and there are quite a few things to change:

NB : for the process of this tutorial, replace the word "yourModName" with your Mod Name Wink

[/system/yourModName.ini]

scroll down until you see lots of "Paths=" lines.

Change
Code:
Paths=../Content/Classes/*.pkg
to

Code:
Paths=../../Tribes Vengeance/yourModName/Content/Classes/*.pkg

(although im not sure this needs to be done, I havent experimented yet...)

now add at the end of the "Paths=" list this:

Code:
Paths=./Classes/*.uc

This line needs only one "dot", as the folder /Classes/ is only one level up from yourModName.ini.

Next, search for "editpackages", and add this to the end of the list :

Code:
EditPackages=yourModName

ok, thats the yourModName.ini done.

/system/UCC.ini

if you dont see UCC.ini, then you need to compile your mod (explained later)

first, scroll down to (another) Paths= list , then add this line :

Code:
Paths=./Classes/*.uc

this is the same as in the yourModHere.ini, but needs to be added here as well

search for "editpackages" again, and add this line :

Code:
EditPackages=yourModName

This is again, the same as the other .ini. which leads me to think its not needed - but do it anyways until you have your mod working - then you can experiment

now the final thing you need to change is the /system/startup.ini file:

open it, and just copy and paste this in. i dont quite understand this yet, but it works anyway

Code:
[Filesystem]
FilePath=..\Source\System;..\..\Source\Game\System;..\..\Source\Unreal\System;..\Content;..\Content\System;..\..\Content;..\..\Content\System

ok, changes are complete, now onto Compiling

YOU NEED THE /SOURCE/ FILES TO COMPILE - /Source/

you will notice in /meikelmod/ that there are two .bat files. one called "make_the_mod.bat" and another called "play_game.bat".

"make_the_mod.bat" does what it says, it compiles your mod! here is the code, and explanations on it:

Code:
cd "C:\Program Files\VUGames\Tribes Vengeance\meikelmod\System"
"C:\Program Files\VUGames\Tribes Vengeance\Program\Bin\UCC.exe" make -nobind
PAUSE

first thing it does, is navigate to your mod's /system/ folder (i didnt want to replace meikelmod with yourModName incase people got confused)

it then calls UCC.exe from that directory, and tells it to "make" your mod

now lets look at "play_game.bat"

Code:
cd "C:\Program Files\VUGames\Tribes Vengeance\meikelmod\System"
"C:\Program Files\VUGames\Tribes Vengeance\Program\Bin\TV_CD_DVD.exe" -console -INI=meikelmod.ini

this is another really simple .bat file that allows you to play your game.

again, it navigates to your mods folder, then opens the actual Tribes .exe with certain command prompts
this is just like a shortcut with command prompts, and tell T:V to allow console, and to use "meikelmod.ini" for the .ini file - ofc change this to yourModName

you can now play your mod

I hope this helps people, and if anything doesnt work, or anything I've said is wrong, then please post and correct me.

Last edited:
-----------------------------------------
Change
Code:

Paths=../Content/Classes/*.pkg

to

Code:

Paths=../../Tribes Vengeance/yourModName/Content/Classes/*.pkg

----------------------------------------

The line is not even in my .ini ;)

Pachacutec : i dont believe there is a way to decompile a .u, as this would mean people could steal your "source code" - although most mods are open source anyways.
Maybe you should ask the modder? most are happy to help another modder... or at least i hope they are!

I seemed to have some serious problems with the game "freezing" up. 1 on the game starting, and 1 on me clicking in for the first time. I must have had something screwed up.

First Question: Is there a way to just host normally with your mod (without going dedicated, then joining it).

Second Question: When you get in-game, you have no weapons, no armor, and cannot move, where would you suggest I went wrong? LOL. (I had it working, but I musta messed with something I shouldn't have)

On another note, I download the UltraVL mod, to test out if I would "hang" or "freeze" and I did not.

I have noticed that when you start your own server, you always get these "freezes" you talk about. If you were to start a dedicated server, I don't think that you would get these.
The way to host a server without it being dedicated is just to not click the box which says "dedicated server" - this will allow you to play on the server. But be careful how many players you allow to join, as only a T1/T3 connection will allow 20+ players to play.
about your second questions: make sure you start your server with a CTF map if testing on your own, or else the game wont start until more people have joined. if you are starting with CTF, then just delete the folder "meikelmod", and start over again ;S

Back