[T:V Help] Demos -> Video

F [a] C E

Veteran XV
Alright so I've got (and am still gathering) demos. I've got "Game Cam Lite" and FRAPS. I'd like some assistance/opinion on:

- Which capture util to use, or if there is a better one out there
- Suitable and preferably novice/less-than-expert video editing utilities
- Some decent (english) resources on where the hell to even begin putting game clips together into a 'movie' in the least amateur way possible... preferably with relation to Tribes...

By the way, I am aware of google and other search engines. I did not ask here by some strange coincidence... I wish that there wasn't a need to include that caveat, heh.

I use fraps, batch compress the resulting large files with virtual dub and a xvid plugin, then edit them together with Windows movie maker.

Fraps makes huge files, about a gig for 3 minutes at half size with game resoloution at 1024x768, resulting in 512x384 video. I set Virtual dub (free download) with xvid (free) at single pass, and index 2.5 for a rough compression ratio of 10x. Smaller files are much easier to edit, and easier on hardware.

Windows movie maker is a free download, and may allready be bundled in your computer, if not head on over to *shudders* the windows web page and snag it. It should be enough for now, and is simple to use. Did I mention it's free?

From there you're on you own. Have a clear objective when editing, or you'll end up with crap. I'm not saying that I havn't produced crap in the past, but I'm learning.. You can see some of my videos at www.tribes0.com Some of the video's were made without fraps, or xvid, but windows movie maker was used in all.

Plasmatic said:
From there you're on you own. Have a clear objective when editing, or you'll end up with crap. I'm not saying that I havn't produced crap in the past, but I'm learning.. You can see some of my videos at www.tribes0.com Some of the video's were made without fraps, or xvid, but windows movie maker was used in all.

Thanks for the tips & info, much appreciated. I'll definitely have to check out some of your work. :D

edit: apparently WMM is only for XP? i don't (and won't) use XP soooo any alternatives? >_<

Last edited:
F [a] C E said:
Thanks for the tips & info, much appreciated. I'll definitely have to check out some of your work. :D

edit: apparently WMM is only for XP? i don't (and won't) use XP soooo any alternatives? >_<

Please please make the movies Xvid which is simply the best format out there.

F [a] C E said:

theere was something most ppl were recommended to use back in T2, i forget its name... videomach?

but it was a free DL for 30 day test. worked wonders. i dont know what fraps does, but if it takes screenies like the bor-jsut script did for t2 demos, that prog that i'm talkin about will put them all together like WMM and all the rest do.

Back