Ack!! Stupid n00b question for T:V - How the hell do I copy stuff?

T

thareb

I've got the whole add/subtract routine down, building my level like a mad bastard, but if I want to copy a base I've already created and want to copy/paste it on the other side of the map (opposing enemy base), so I don't have to re-create it all over again? I've tried selecting all the different parts of the building at once - hitting "Copy" and going to where I want to paste it and selecting "Paste Here" but I keep coming up with bupkis...

Hold Ctrl+Alt and leftmouse to drag a nice aquare around your base and release. It should be selected now. Then hit shift-d to duplicate, and drag it to where ever you want it to be. You can also use copy-paste, but shift-d is a nice shortcut.

The way I do it is-- go to a top veiw and ctrl +alt+left mouse button will drag a box around it. Then the paste here feature . Now I find that if I wait and let it do its thing then do ctrl and both mouse buttons and go up that will move it up and you can see it keep in mind it might need to be rebuilt(rerendered).Thats it. It looks like its not there but it is . Its like its waiting for you to move it. and if you unselect it by clicking somewhere then its hard to get back for me.
hope this helps get back to it you crazy bastard.

edit: beat me to it. I like that though. I found when moving stuff if you hold control and shift the camera goes with it. Its easier for moving all the way across the map.

Last edited:
Cool... okay I've got the duplicating down, but how do I re-texture it, all I have is the blue/yellow (brush?) that I can move around.

read some basic tutorials for Unrealed. This is all pretty basic stuff, and tutorials for these kind of things can be found about everywhere on the net.

I have been - they talk about everything BUT that. I've been to at least a dozen different online tutorials today. They either talk about the really, really BASIC stuff or the really, really OBSCURE stuff that I'll never need to know. Is there any one in particular you recommend?

It seems really odd that this is such a difficult thing to accomplish. I used the Quake editor a couple of years ago (actually the one made for JKII) and that's how I built most of my maps, just copying the different brushes and pasting/rotating them.

Is this really a long drawn out proccess just to copy a building?

Ah - REBUILD. Yes and the other guy said so sorry I was so daft, just never occured to me, you didn't have to do that in the Quake editor like you do in this one. You have to rebuild every time to make a change.

I knew it couldn't be some long drawn out process, the software would be impractical otherwise. I knew it had to be simple, that's why I asked, I'm not the type to go trolling the forums for someone to teach them everything.

Back