Another "wahh my fps" thread.

FishStix

Veteran XV
I'm going to start this thread off saying that I realize that there has been an overwhelming amount of threads that share my PLEA for help. I know you all are tired of people complaining about "wahh the fps sucks wahh..." but those who are "tech suave" I am in dire need. Please don't dismiss my thread. I have a damn good reason for being P.O.'d and I desperately want to play T:V as best I can.

I don't know what to do anymore... so here it goes, I'll leave it up to the brilliance of my fellow TW peers

I can't get good fps. I'm not great with computers, but I am no comp newbie either. I know how to mess with sh!t, and believe me, I have done just that (for hours on end, I might add.)

My Specs:
Pent. 4 WinXP (NOT CELERON)
2.4 Ghz
768 mb ram
Geforce FX 5700 256 mb ddr ram

I turned off vsync/AA
I have tried tweaking some things within the TribesVengeance.ini or whereever it is that you can tweak video settings.

yet when I play T:V in a server with more than 15 people my frames drop to avaragely 18-23 on medium/low settings (doesn't seem to effect performance)... 800x600(doesn't seem to matter either)

Immidiate response: upgrade newb
Answer: I DID upgrade. I just effing bought this card. It should run T:V perfectly.
I know people are going to say "but you didn't get the highest of the high end cards" but I know from word of mouth that this card can run T:V fine, full server, high settings, 50+ fps.

Everyone says run a spyware/adware program, virus checker, etc. I did that, had no affect. Well, now I'm writing this on a BRAND NEW FRESH INSTALL. That's right, i reformatted yesterday.

Install the latest drivers? Why yes, I did. I downloaded everything from motherboard drivers to video card drivers to sound card drivers.

Make sure extra programs aren't running all the time? Nope, the little programs i have downloaded so far I have disabled them on startup by running msconfig.

I messed around with my BIOS.
I tried overclocking.
Nothing has made any noticeable difference. I'm about to cry.

Why this is so effed up to me? My brother has a comp with essentially the same specs except his gfx card is a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 (statistacally a FAR worse card) and can run it 30-40 fps on medium/high settings. And like i have said, I know that this card can not only handle T:V, it can handle it damn well.

My old radeon 9100 ran T:V almost as effing well. Pretty damn close.
When I play a match or scrim (10v10) my fps is VERY rarely higher than 20. period. It fluxuates from 13-20 the whole time.

My MOBO cannot support 8x AGP. I know this makes a difference, but should it really make such a effing huge difference? I have heard varied opinions on how much AGP matters, but this seems to be the ONLY thing left.

My conclusion is that it is probably my MOBO, seeing as how I can't support 8X agp. but any suggestions would be nice. anything at all.

side note: on 3dmark03 i got around 2578.

Have you tried checking for a Bios update to your board? Sometimes a company will update the bios to add more support/fix issues with there boards..
Maybe you'll get lucky and new bios will have support for agp8..Check with the board maker on the home site..i dunno what else to suggest..You should be running the game smooth.
I am still on a ti4400 med/low settings and i am getting around 50 fps 30 during heavy action..Its still agp 4 vid card..

Here are the tweak i did in my tribes ini file..maybe they will help man.
I know your frustration, it took me awhile to get the game smooth enough to play.
Hope this helps.

Code:
[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
DetailTextures=True
HighDetailActors=False
SuperHighDetailActors=False
UsePrecaching=True
UseTrilinear=True
AdapterNumber=-1
ReduceMouseLag=False
UseTripleBuffering=False
UseHardwareTL=True
UseHardwareVS=True
UseCubemaps=True
DesiredRefreshRate=80
UseCompressedLightmaps=True
UseStencil=False
Use16bit=True
Use16bitTextures=True
MaxPixelShaderVersion=255
UseVSync=False
LevelOfAnisotropy=0
UseNPatches=False
TesselationFactor=1.000000
CheckForOverflow=False
UseShaderConstantChecking=False
MaxShaderConstantGap=5
Use16bitNormalMaps=False
DefaultTexMipBias=0.000000
DetailTexMipBias=0.000000
OverrideDesktopRefreshRate=False
AvoidHitches=False
DecompressTextures=False
UseXBoxFSAA=False
TerrainLOD=0
SkyboxHack=False
LowQualityTerrain=False
UseStencilMasking=False

KnightMare said:
your cpu isnt good enough for TV.

That's not true. 2.4 GHz p4 should have no problem running TV, especially at that low a resolution.

Other tha that, I can't really help you. I seem to recall that oe of my teammates had his agp port aperature set very low (in the BIOS I think) and fixing that helped a lot. Also I now there are nvidia geforce tweaker apps you can use.
Hope you fix your problem. If you do, let us know what it was for future reference.

Devo_N said:
That's not true. 2.4 GHz p4 should have no problem running TV, especially at that low a resolution.

yes it is true and alot of people with > 3GHZ has trouble playing with in a 10v10 game.It has nothing to do with rendering either.

KnightMare said:
yes it is true and alot of people with > 3GHZ has trouble playing with in a 10v10 game.It has nothing to do with rendering either.

i'm in the similar situation as FishStix -brother has gf ti4200 64mb / i have a 5700 128MB

also he's got a much slower cpu --1.4Ghz (the only difference is mine is a p4 2.4c & he's got an Athlon-XP)

also; i only have fresh install/nothing else (except firefox/thunderbird/teamspeak) no AV/etc; the weird part is when i set fluid detail & world to high, mine actually improves on fps by about 10fps (still 25fps at the most)

He's also running a teamspeak server & client

so how can he get a much more steady & higher fps w/ a slower processor and video card.... :shrug:

i hope they fix this crap (i've talked to others w/ the same problem) it doesn't make much sense, unless CPU affinity (mine is HT) has anything to do w/ it; from my playing with that, i don't think it does, *fps dropped

Decepti|<on said:
turn off glow / bumpmapping and ps 2.0

did.. glow kills it almost and bumpmapping (oddly) gave me about 5 more on medium rather than low/off, ps 2.0 off/on --no difference :shrug:

i've done every possible combo of .ini tweaks too ...

thanks though :)

Heres a thot, it very well maybe that line of gf fx cards..everyone i have talked to friends etc using anything from 5200 up to the 5900 fx line complain about some form of stutter/choppy rendering..
Id see if i could use a friends video card for a day, and try testing it out on the same settings..If you see improvement that very well maybe the problem.If not i dunno.

i run t:v on a geforce two.

:)

and, it works pretty okay for me in 800x600
i run bump map/textures/shadow on high.

Last edited:
Devo_N said:
:notsigned (processors don't care what resolution you use, they just calculate the vertexes)

My opinion is that you should test your PC for Floating Point Operations Per Second (FLOPS) and memory bandwidth. My favorite tool is Sandra You can then compare your computer to others around the same spec.

My assumption is that you are limited by your Proc/Mobo/Memory (Most likely memory). That's because you say performance gets worse with more people in the server (which doesn't matter to a video card).

Here is a screenshot of the memory bandwidth benchmark in Sandra

Shad0w said:
Heres a thot, it very well maybe that line of gf fx cards..everyone i have talked to friends etc using anything from 5200 up to the 5900 fx line complain about some form of stutter/choppy rendering..
Id see if i could use a friends video card for a day, and try testing it out on the same settings..If you see improvement that very well maybe the problem.If not i dunno.

tried that; also, FWIW my friend who "used to play" (uninstalled it due to gameplay 'imbalance issues') has a 5500fx, same mobo', cpu, etc had no issues.

I forgot to mention that I used to use a gf4200 w/ 128Mb of ram which led me to upgrade to the 5700 due to the same 25fps problems. So I even added another 512MB of ram (just in case) after that, reinstalled XPPro-SP1 ...blah blah. Still never had luck. :(

ty for the suggestion though

damn..id be pulling my hair out by now..I know i was for time..But my problem was psu than anything else..constant system restarts only while playing tv, ugly choppy play etc..Maybe check out the psu?..Other than that might try what fafhrd suggested..run some bench marks on the board/memory..compare to other systems around the same specs..

But it is odd that people with similiar systems and vid cards are having the same type of problem..Hopefully the patch will help you guys out in this area.

well i have about the same computer specifications that you have

P4 2.6 processor
512ddr ram

i also have a radeon x800pro, but still it plays choppy on ultra high settings it will play fine on high quality infact thats the best high quality at 1280x what ever resolution.. now if i host a server then i can play all in ultra high fine.. i guess its just the servers your going in :), to me i know i probably need to upgrade a few things so my computer can be matched up as far as quality to my vid card.

Shad0w said:
Have you tried checking for a Bios update to your board? Sometimes a company will update the bios to add more support/fix issues with there boards..
Maybe you'll get lucky and new bios will have support for agp8..Check with the board maker on the home site..i dunno what else to suggest..You should be running the game smooth.
I am still on a ti4400 med/low settings and i am getting around 50 fps 30 during heavy action..Its still agp 4 vid card..

Here are the tweak i did in my tribes ini file..maybe they will help man.
I know your frustration, it took me awhile to get the game smooth enough to play.
Hope this helps.

Code:
[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
DetailTextures=True
HighDetailActors=False
SuperHighDetailActors=False
UsePrecaching=True
UseTrilinear=True
AdapterNumber=-1
ReduceMouseLag=False
UseTripleBuffering=False
UseHardwareTL=True
UseHardwareVS=True
UseCubemaps=True
DesiredRefreshRate=80
UseCompressedLightmaps=True
UseStencil=False
Use16bit=True
Use16bitTextures=True
MaxPixelShaderVersion=255
UseVSync=False
LevelOfAnisotropy=0
UseNPatches=False
TesselationFactor=1.000000
CheckForOverflow=False
UseShaderConstantChecking=False
MaxShaderConstantGap=5
Use16bitNormalMaps=False
DefaultTexMipBias=0.000000
DetailTexMipBias=0.000000
OverrideDesktopRefreshRate=False
AvoidHitches=False
DecompressTextures=False
UseXBoxFSAA=False
TerrainLOD=0
SkyboxHack=False
LowQualityTerrain=False
UseStencilMasking=False

i have done this before, but then again i reinstalled my T:V. what file do you edit again? i forget :\

Shad0w said:
my buddy (like i said) has literally the exact same card and it runs great. he had a 5950 128 mb ddr too, and it runs it almost as well.

wrEk said:
i think you made this thread before...
i did, but people actually care in this forum and there are updates since i first posted that so long ago.

PS: all my settings are on low cept fogging distance, even though it doesn't seem to matter much preformance wise.

Last edited:
the tv_vd_dvd.ini
under this line
[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]

man thats just weird..i dont know what else you can do..does the board have alot of intergraded stuff on it? like nic card sound etc?maybe try disabling stuff like that and run a test to see if its gets any better..

I dunno what else to suggest..:(

Back