New Mod

matrickx

Veteran X
I have created a new mod for Tribes vengeance called UltraVL (http://ultravl.xgln.com). It is a TC mod and is only a 2 mb download.

Features:
Infinate Jetpacks
Faster Spinfusor
Faster SniperRifle

With more features to come in the future.

Basically if you had ever played UtraXL for tribes 2 and liked it you may like this one so come check it out if you have a chance.

Instructions for playing and installing are located in the UltraVL forums. If you get lost just use the batch file in the UltraVL directory for running the game and joining the servers.

Thanks
Matrickx

i dude, just tested your mod and everything looks pretty dandy

I wondered where you got all the resources to make the mod? as in, how did you know what the hell to do!
I'm starting Modding now, and have followed the basic 'how to compile' tutorial, so i can start my mod, but it just loads with that video thing - no start menu, no nothing!

just wondered where you found out what you needed to copy, and what to edit?

nice mod btw - dont think it was too hard to do was it? although there looked a lot of files. nice installer as well!

T:V could be interesting with infinite jets... they're a lot more powerful now than before, it's easier to manuever with them.

Again, great on the mod release, but it seems like youve just tweaked a little things. I would hope ALL mod builders would abstain from releasing a mod till they are pretty satisfied with the current build and it has sufficiant changes, i.e. weapons/vehicles, etc... If you plan on including some of these in the future, it would be more nice to keep version to big changes/fixes, thats all :) Not being to critical, but would rather just see fully featured mods, with changes/updates to be minimal. Keeps servers running same version hopefully :)

I appreciate the comments. Yeah the build is a beta, and I plan too have much more added in the future. The hardest part of the moddin was compiling the dev source. You can get at the vugames or sierra websites.

I found alot of interesting articles on the UT dev sites and there are alot of resources at http://house-of-style.com/. If you are a beginner I would suggest downloading the dev source and going to the house of style site and read how to compile it.

I hope everyone likes the beta. Look for more changes in about 2 weeks. I will have the vehilce mods, and some improved packs that will be added. One change that I have already made (but not released yet) is I have added chainguns to the pods instead of the pod rockets. Which makes for some interesting dog fights. I havn't added those yet for balancing purposes. Like increased health and armor for the different suits.

Kool sounds nice. I hope you keep the betas to one, two servers that you can get updated, etc... for beta testing. If T:V every becomes big enough, say 1000 servers, (cough...cough...LOL :) ) then getting servers updated to the right version becomes tricky if not impossible. If a autoupdate to the mod was coded/enabled, which I assume could be, then it would be ok to release betas, etc... to the public. Otherwise, keeping it to 1 or 2 trusted servers for beta testing is the best thing till you are ready for a major release.

Again thats just my opinion, but it makes the most logical sense to me :)

That is a good idea. The reason for the beta. Well, I have a large crowd that wanted an "Ultra" mod to play. Alot of them had uninstalled TV because there wasn't one yet. So it is more or less an appetizer. Like I said I have big plans, and since I am coding this alone it may take awhile for there to be a "major" release. I am taking input right now though on things that the community would like to see in an Ultra mod most importantly those who have played them before, and have seen what they like. I invite anyone to help if they like by giving input on weapons, packs, vehicles and such on the website so the community can discuss it. http://ultravl.xgln.com . I really do value the opinion of anyone interested. Thanks for the input. :)

Wow very nice mod. Im just nitpicking here but here but there could be a readme and changelog packaged with it. I run TV in a non-stock directory so I had to change the .bat file to acomidate the diffrent directory. Just a thought. Is this aimed at keeping the package small or will the blimp up to be a huge mod.

I am trying to keep it small the first version of it was about 9gig. Then I realized I didn't need to include the entire source in the builds. I will eventually include the instructions and build log, but there are instructions in the forums on installion and setup. You are right though I will put up a copy that includes this. Sorry about that. :) That's for pointing that out to me.

That mainly why it is still beta. Everything has not been included, and it was to get an ultra mod out for the community. Not to mention this helps work out the bugs.

Very good observation, and I am proud to see that the tribes community is dedicated enough to help.

Also, I have mention on the UltraVL forums you can view modded server by creating a query filter and use mod = 'UltraVL' as the code. I have one up right now for testing. It may be up and down as I fix bugs, but look for it if you get a chance.

Amadeu5 said:
T:V could be interesting with infinite jets... they're a lot more powerful now than before, it's easier to manuever with them.

Infinite jets are a bit nuts, but I think base TV would feel better if the jets had just a tad more oomph to them, Maybe decrease the time it takes for the energy for your jets to recharge.

Nah, the jets are very powerful as it is. Yesterday was the first time since open beta that I went back to play some T1, and oh my God did I suck at jetting.

sounds interesting.. is there a way to test the mod without other players? a way to force the match to start even though I'm the only one there?

If you go into your admin settings you can change the number of players to one, but selecting ctf works for me. You may consider adding bots if that helps.

The source files have parameters that can be set. Can these be changed to create a different mod. I'd like to creat one similar to mouse mod. I'm guessing the engine doesn't read off of the source files.

Now I'm a complete noob to moding so excuse my ignorance. I'm guessing the source files need to be compliled after changing them.

Erok:

me and my mate played around with the .config files in the /movement/ folder for a while, you dont need to compile or anything

we just changed some settings, then played the game with like 20000 jetpack power, which was a little fun til we got bored :D

I'm trying to start modding (nearly got my first test mod working - so close), and I'd be interested in what the hell these .config files are, how/why are the .pkg's there, and how/why are there so many damn .uc's in the /Source/ (i think source) folder?

thanks man, looks a pretty nice mod atm, will be much better when finished

Back