Tribes 1.5 (Idea)

DSEZ

Veteran X
Tribes 1.5 (Torque Engine)

Keeping from Tribes 1:
Physics
Player Models (Polished)
Maps (Will be voted by public, all maps will be polished and made with high quality textures)

Keeping from Tribes 2:
Inventory Stations
Vehicles (MPB,Shrike,Tank,Bomber,Grav, havok)
Maps (Will be voted by public, all maps will be polished and made with high quality textures)

Both:
Textures (Polished at high quality)
All Tribes
All Previous Popular Gametypes and Gametypes made by public that passes vote
Weapons (All Weapons Except Shocklance and Elf Gun (Inless passed by vote)

New:
Tournament Mode (Automaticly place a player on a team based on Team Tag)
Autodownload System that will link to tribes2maps.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would love to get this idea of the ground. No donations needed just help from the community on feedback and ideas. I am looking for anyone that has any passed experiences with the torque engine. I have mapped,skinned, and scripted for the torque engine before so i have a basic knowledge of what needs to be done. If anyone has any prior experience i would love your help and it would be greatly appriacted. Thanks.

DSEZ said:
Tribes 1.5 (Torque Engine)

Keeping from Tribes 1:
Physics
Player Models (Polished)

Keeping from Tribes 2:
Inventory Stations
Vehicles (MPB,Shrike,Tank,Bomber,Grav, havok)

Both:
Textures (Polished at high quality)
All Tribes
All Previous Popular Gametypes and Gametypes made by public that passes vote
Weapons (All Weapons Except Shocklance and Elf Gun (Inless passed by vote)

New:
Tournament Mode (Automaticly place a player on a team based on Team Tag)
Autodownload System that will link to tribes2maps.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would love to get this idea of the ground. No donations needed just help from the community on feedback and ideas. I am looking for anyone that has any passed experiences with the torque engine. I have mapped,skinned, and scripted for the torque engine before so i have a basic knowledge of what needs to be done. If anyone has any prior experience i would love your help and it would be greatly appriacted. Thanks.

Just so you know after thankgiving there will no longer be a tribes2maps.com, vengeancemaps.com is taking over the t2 database.

Take out the SL and you basically have classic, do you not?

You aren't gonna be able to match the t1 physics on any other engine.

Plus Torque is a POS.

I think the best idea is that somehow the Tribes 1 source is released and gets a graphical update, but change NOTHING about gameplay.

ness9 said:
I think the best idea is that somehow the Tribes 1 source is released and gets a graphical update, but change NOTHING about gameplay.
The official story about the T1 source code is that it was lost in a DB transfer. If it's true, then you obviously won't see this happen. If it's not, you still won't see it happen because VUG will not strain themselves figuring out a reason why they were lying to us repeatedly.

Amadeu5 said:
The official story about the T1 source code is that it was lost in a DB transfer. If it's true, then you obviously won't see this happen. If it's not, you still won't see it happen because VUG will not strain themselves figuring out a reason why they were lying to us repeatedly.

Wow, sounds like a load of BS to me. Surely they had backup copies.

It was "lost", and by "lost" I mean "vague answer that slightly changes every time". I'm guessing once the T1 master server is finally shut off, they will release the source as a goodwill gesture and hope people buy whatever games they have out at the time.

Also, this will never happen..

Agree with FSB-SPY, torque is nowhere near the engine as the unreal 2.xx engine. What I would rather see is a group, or committee formed to handle all the aspects of a mod for this, or any mod for that matter.

My idea is with this engine, there can be SO much more done, yet the maps look similar and sometimes worse then some T2 maps :)

With the fluids you could apply to terrains, map specific packs/vehicles and much much more, this could be a GREAT game, among the best out there.

for a committee/group, I would like to see a team built like this...

1-2 modders - for vehicles, buildings, terrains ? weapons, anything that needs to be modeled. They can animate models if needed, but a animator can be added to solely work with the animations of weapons, vehicles, players, anything...
1-2 animators - this is to animate any model that needs animations. Will most likely have to work with coders on the animations or contain coding knowledge to do the animations themselves.
1-2 mappers - These people could either be the modelers, or those dedicated to adding models, terrains, etc... to maps and be principle in the layout of the maps. Should work with other members tho...
2-3 - coders cause EVERYTHING relys on this... New weapons, vehicles, physics relations, etc... So I would assume coding will be a BIG deal with any mod.
3-4 - artist should be required cause there will be a HELL of a lot of art work an any mod. You can take standard textures if you want, but I would hope and expect for a truely great mod, you would want to create everything yourself :)

Anyways, this list would have to have a team leader. Most likely a mapper or if the modeler will be doing the mapping, they would be head of the projects, but have input from all the group. This would be a group project after all. The members would have to work closely together cause each item really relies on other aspects. Models require coding/skinning. mapping if kept seperate from the modelers requires modelers/coders/skinners working in tandom. Im not opposed to people doing more then one aspect, but the project needs to to be lead effeciently, and if something is not getting done, then get more people in on it :) I would keep it as limited as possible to keep tension/conflict to a minimal. Also having to many people can sometimes overlap in whos doing what, etc...

The numbers may seem large (or small to some), but this should be enough to produce STUNNING maps/mods fairly fast bug free. If a team were put together like this, you could and realistically expect a map every week or two. After the initial ; code, models, textures gets created for specific things like ; weapons, vehicles, players, models, movements, environment, ai, then you could be able to reuse a lot of it and maps should be easier/faster to turn out while maintaining Excellent quality.

Nice idea on the tribes 1.5 , but the unreal engine should be used. If a group was every started with this, it would be fantastic for the game and the community. The team could even release packs with models, textures, code, etc... to the community for individual mappers to create a higher standard map :) Which is a BIG Plus... Right not I dont believe the quality merits the possibilities that exist for this engine and thats kinda sad.

Again, mods like this should really be done by a committee/group of individuals to produce a very high quality product in the least amount of time.

Last edited:
posr said:
Agree with FSB-SPY, torque is nowhere near the engine as the unreal 2.xx engine. What I would rather see is a group, or committee formed to handle all the aspects of a mod for this, or any mod for that matter.

My idea is with this engine, there can be SO much more done, yet the maps look similar and sometimes worse then some T2 maps :)

With the fluids you could apply to terrains, map specific packs/vehicles and much much more, this could be a GREAT game, among the best out there.

for a committee/group, I would like to see a team built like this...

1-2 modders - for vehicles, buildings, terrains ? weapons, anything that needs to be modeled. They can animate models if needed, but a animator can be added to solely work with the animations of weapons, vehicles, players, anything...
1-2 animators - this is to animate any model that needs animations. Will most likely have to work with coders on the animations or contain coding knowledge to do the animations themselves.
1-2 mappers - These people could either be the modelers, or those dedicated to adding models, terrains, etc... to maps and be principle in the layout of the maps. Should work with other members tho...
2-3 - coders cause EVERYTHING relys on this... New weapons, vehicles, physics relations, etc... So I would assume coding will be a BIG deal with any mod.
3-4 - artist should be required cause there will be a HELL of a lot of art work an any mod. You can take standard textures if you want, but I would hope and expect for a truely great mod, you would want to create everything yourself :)

Anyways, this list would have to have a team leader. Most likely a mapper or if the modeler will be doing the mapping, they would be head of the projects, but have input from all the group. This would be a group project after all. The members would have to work closely together cause each item really relies on other aspects. Models require coding/skinning. mapping if kept seperate from the modelers requires modelers/coders/skinners working in tandom. Im not opposed to people doing more then one aspect, but the project needs to to be lead effeciently, and if something is not getting done, then get more people in on it :) I would keep it as limited as possible to keep tension/conflict to a minimal. Also having to many people can sometimes overlap in whos doing what, etc...

The numbers may seem large (or small to some), but this should be enough to produce STUNNING maps/mods fairly fast bug free. If a team were put together like this, you could and realistically expect a map every week or two. After the initial ; code, models, textures gets created for specific things like ; weapons, vehicles, players, models, movements, environment, ai, then you could be able to reuse a lot of it and maps should be easier/faster to turn out while maintaining Excellent quality.

Nice idea on the tribes 1.5 , but the unreal engine should be used. If a group was every started with this, it would be fantastic for the game and the community. The team could even release packs with models, textures, code, etc... to the community for individual mappers to create a higher standard map :) Which is a BIG Plus... Right not I dont believe the quality merits the possibilities that exist for this engine and thats kinda sad.

Again, mods like this should really be done by a committee/group of individuals to produce a very high quality product in the least amount of time.

seriously though what the fuck is wrong with you? TRIBES IS NOT THE REAL WORLD

[meph]DooM! said:
It was "lost", and by "lost" I mean "vague answer that slightly changes every time". I'm guessing once the T1 master server is finally shut off, they will release the source as a goodwill gesture and hope people buy whatever games they have out at the time.

Also, this will never happen..

They know if they release the source the community would've created a great game out of and added all sorts of goodies..

who the fuck loses source code? total bullshit.

My guess is they will release the T1 source if it still exists when they don't see the community as comptetition to their Tribes franchise sales(Read: When they think tribes is dead)

Decepti|<on said:
oh okay you get to work on saving up a few hundred grand for the unreal engine
Guess you are just stupid. Im talking about just making a regular mod for T:V, not taking the fucking engine and recoding it.
kraska said:
um..... *cough* legends *cough*
And no, not talking about legends. Or anything remotely like that. If your going to call it anything, call its classic base or classic T1.

What I am talking about is creating the models and textures for that mod. But if you wanted to just use prefab crap go ahead. But being able to turn a crappy game into a good one will require a group of people working in tandum a few hours a day or whatever.

It would seriously take that amount of people to make a wonderful mod with totally original EVERYTHING, which you can do with T:V, and thats what would be fantastic. Just depends on what you want to do. Think about it. If 1 person were to make terrains, models, the textures for everything, code for anything/everything you want, it would prol take you several months if not a year or more. If you put a team together to create different things for a particular map and apply those when they turn out, then you can create a mod with completely original everything much faster. This goes for renegades or anni, or a classic. Again tho, this is with complete customization for EVERYTHING, models, skins, and some code you would need for physics for certian things :) Then when youve created enough of these, you can reuse it for your mod, or package it in zips or whatever so other modders can use the committee's/groups works for their maps or mods :) The team is just so you can produce a VERY high quality of play/and visuals for a mod. If you think im crazy, oh well. But I know this is whats needed and will be required to have a fantastic mod for T:V with completely original work, and with a team like this, you would be able to easily put out maps quickly that are fairly bug free :)

Last edited:
Back