Mapping: Fluidsurfaces?

Scud411

Veteran XV
I was under the impression that one would put down a fluid surface info where you wanted water. However, the info is incredibly small, and if expanded to not much larger, crashes TVed. How did IG make those maps with tons of water? Is there some sort of configurable water level I missed? Any help would be great, i'd really like to make a swamp type map much like Quagmire but smaller and faster.

Water is a fluid volume, not a point entity.
- Make your builder brush the size you want the water to be.
- Click the Volume button and select FluidVolume (or in the QuickTools palette select the BSP tab, select FluidVolume from the drop down list, and then click Add brush)

You can now select the resulting brush and edit its properties.

As always, I recommend opening the retail levels and having a look at how things were done. Back them up before making any changes though!

(I don't use the QuickTools thing myself. I have it turned off and View > Toggle Button Bar turned on. Saves screen real-estate.)

Thanks alot, I really appreciate a developer responding. It's nice to know the guys who created the game stay in touch with the community and help out. And thanks to Cinderkarst too :)

And I assume after making the fluidvolume you would apply something like a cubemap? To get all that splendid reflectiveness. Still learning UnrealEd/TVEd, it's quite a powerful tool just not entirely intuitive.

Scud411 said:
Thanks alot, I really appreciate a developer responding. It's nice to know the guys who created the game stay in touch with the community and help out. And thanks to Cinderkarst too :)

And I assume after making the fluidvolume you would apply something like a cubemap? To get all that splendid reflectiveness. Still learning UnrealEd/TVEd, it's quite a powerful tool just not entirely intuitive.

Yep, apply the cubemap in the FV's properties. Keep in mind, however, that the env-map isn't going to actually represent your map if you use a stock one. If you don't want to make your own, just make sure you pick one as close as possible to what your map looks like.

Back