Creating OOB Grid

First of all, find the red builder brush make it so that it encompasses the entire map and make sure the terrain isn't getting cut short of your grid.

Then depending on if your using the Quicktools or ButtonBar-

Quicktools- Under BSP there should be a dropdown menu, there is one that says shazbot like volume, fluid volume, and anitportal. From that menu select Boundary volume (or something simmilar).

Buttonbar- I don't use it all that much but it's near the bottom. It looks like a solid cube, I guess you can wait for the mouseover to see if it says volume. All you do is right click that and select something like Boundary volume.

EDIT: Also, make sure when your scaling the builder brush, make sure you don't accidentally invert it. It's possible to invert brushes so the OOB grid doesn't keep you inside, but OUTSIDE. Make sure you run along at least 1 edge of the OOB grid to make sure you can't pass through it, or else someone playing the map might get trapped outside of the playing area.

Last edited:
I know the brush you're talking about, but how do I make it a builder brush as opposed to say...a terrain brush? I can't find the builder option, though I know of it. I also see the boundary volume option under volume, I just don't know how to paint the volume.

Also now, something entirely random, whenever you join and are actually on the map (not a spectator) you constantly take damage, though your health does not change, and eventually die.

Last edited:
You do not turn the terrain brush into a builder brush, ever.

There is always 1 particular brush that is red. The others are either yellow, black, blue or probably some other color I can't think of.

This brush never really goes away, it always exisits in the map you are working with. Try to find the red brush if you can. If you still can't find it, in the Quick Tools menu, click on cube and make it some huge freakin number so it's impossible to miss.

You then simply click on the red brush so it's highlighted a brighter red, use the scaling tool and use ctrl+click to resize it.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I personally use the quick tools, it's a bit different but I got the hang of it, it's basically in the drop down menu that I mentioned, and there should be a + sign next to it that will lay down that volume for you.

Scud411 said:
I know the brush you're talking about, but how do I make it a builder brush as opposed to say...a terrain brush? I can't find the builder option, though I know of it. I also see the boundary volume option under volume, I just don't know how to paint the volume.

Also now, something entirely random, whenever you join and are actually on the map (not a spectator) you constantly take damage, though your health does not change, and eventually die.

I think you may be missing your base subtraction cube. Pretty much, in Unreal everything is carved out of solid matter. So think of the map being contained in this huge cubical cave. What your missing is the outter boundaries that define the negative or "subtractive" space. I think whats going on is that when you spawn in, your charecter is constantly clipping into this solid matter, I guess it's like bouncing off every surface around you at once.

You can take the red builder brush and make a CSG_Subtract cube that encompasses your entire map, see if that does anything for you.

Alright I got the grid working fine, finally understanding the builder brush. However, you still take damage, I made a cube encompassing the map and set it to csg subtract, nothing happened. Still die after a short period of time.

Back