Is O-sniping a problem...

Breadman86

Veteran XX
on maps like Utopia? Half the time I'm playing Utopia, people complain about O-snipers, when a sniper on one of the bases can clearly see past even th emiddle capturable base. So they shoot at the enemies they see, even when they are still at their base. And then they get accused of o-sniping, lol. It just cracks me up at the pissyness of this entire community.

We yell at members for being stupid in the boards, we yell at them for playing the game "wrong", and then for some reason we start wondering what we are doing wrong. I'm even starting to get sick of playing a game like this. Just yesterday I was in a map, happened to have a sniper rifle on me, and I was probably across the middle of the map going to get the flag or what have you. Suddenly, a guy on top of their base snipes me in the head. I whip out mine, snipe him, and get called on for O-sniping. What gives?

Sorry to bring this topic back up again... but in a new game like this where maps are so small, is the o-sniping issue really even relevent except in a few situations?

i have never really had a problem with osnipers when they are using their skills for a purpose rather than just being annoying. If they are stopping our capper from capping, clearing our ld for their capper, so be it. deal with the osniper if you hate him so much

FishStix said:
i have never really had a problem with osnipers when they are using their skills for a purpose rather than just being annoying. If they are stopping our capper from capping, clearing our ld for their capper, so be it. deal with the osniper if you hate him so much

there are maps that "o-sniping" is a viable tactic...under certain circumstance

I dont o-snipe the players as much as I do turrets/mines/etc....although I admit if I see you standing there in the open I'm putting one thru your head ;)

o-sniping is a hold over prob from T1/T2 when the snipers rifle was a pure energy weapon (ie unlimited ammo)...with the ammo limits now....you have to either have a remote inv planted or you can not be an ongoing pain like you could in T2

and I'm NOT talking about someone that goes & parks near their base and ALL he does is snipe either....thats about as useless as constant base rape...it has some positive team effects, but in the long run its not fun or good game play

all in all I think its simply a knee jerk reaction to an old problem thats been MOSTLY (maybe not completely) fixed

sniping is sniping. incessant whining from unskilled LD who want to snipe folks in comfort but not be killed by the same method somehow created a stigma for "O Sniping" on pubs. i don't know how to stop it, but it definitely doesn't need to carry over into t:v.

it's a lot like complaints about HO/chainwhores - they piss off people who lack the means to stop them. grow the eff up.

O Sniping complaints are a leftover from T2 Classic. And like most leftovers, after a while they begin to stink like hell. Time to clean out the fridge and get a whole new crop of complaints going, like base rapers or something.

The complaint didnt really make any sense in the first place, and even less in TV. In T2 it was inadequate players not defending properly, all that harrassment you know.

Ya wanna take care of O snipers, get yourself a T2 Renegades player to help, they are experts at hunting snipers.

LE

Since when is turtling a problem on T:V's maps?

Yer gonna end up dead faster stuck in one of those closets than if you keep outside and keep movin.

No Turtling is also a dead "rule".

the reason 5150 and various other servers abolished O-sniping is because it promotes turtling, which is entirely more annoying. (I'm sure i'll get a thousand flames from the typical poster such as *Omg you're just a n00b who can't kill the flag carrier in their base* blah blah blah)

The fact of the matter is, turtling slows the pace of the game down to a crawl, o-sniping is the primary cause of this.

On a side note, there are 2 types of o snipers. 1) The kind i respect: those who are LDing and are simply attempting to kill the flag carrier. and 2) The guys who set up and inventory far away from anyone else, and camp one spot sniping turrets/HoF/Sensors alike. These o-snipers do nothing constructive and are a general annoyance. Are they easy to deal with? Absolutely, but who wants to?

My 2 cents

Flame_Dude said:
I was referring to where the no o-sniping rule came from (in T1 and T2). Turtling isn't really a problem in TV.

No worries. Ya just set me up to spike that point home.

The few times I've come across some well dug in turtles in T:V, I had a hella lotta fun rippin 'em outta their shells. :D

^Esoteric said:
the reason 5150 and various other servers abolished O-sniping is because it promotes turtling, which is entirely more annoying.

blahblahblahblahblah

My 2 cents

I think we've stated that turtling is not a problem in T:V. First of all, on maps like Utopia (where i've been caught o-sniping... oooo...), the flag carrier can't even get into the shielded barriers! Which clearly prevents them from turtling and getting into a base. On ot her maps like Fort and Winterlake, there is only one entrance available for the flag carrier... so if they get in, they can't get out. Hence they are easier to kill inside than out. Then you have the bases of Arid, where they hardly count as bases and turtling isn't even possible in those things. All they have in them are freakin inventories! One mortar throuhg the door and the whole thing is kaboom.

Point is... either you can't turtle in T:V, and when you can, you are just setting yourself up to be killed. Therefore those servers like 5150s are not banning O-snipers because they promote turtling. They can't be. 5150 is too smart to not figure out that it is impossible to turtle on a map like Utopia or Arid. The only two maps that could possibly have turtling that I can think of are Junk and the map with the stonhenge stuff in the middle (what's that called?). Even then it is a pathetic excuse because the bases are so accesible to enemies.

So why try to stop o-sniping? There has got to be another reason...

Back