Mappers, stop releaseing alphas and betas

Like it was stated in another thread, theres a mapping community that is willing to test out your map before you make it a public release. I dont want to see 4 differnt versions of the same map cause you forgot to add a turret station. Release the map to the community when its all tested out and you think it is perfect

'Tis truth this man speaks...
Do local testing and ask for a hand with testing beta maps. Don't release those betas tho! It's just making headaches for folks.

TeckMan said:
if a map is clearly labeled beta you dont have to download it...

i swear you members are like little kindergarteners.
it's not about needing to download it... it's about seeing servers hosting 4 different versions

TeckMan said:
if a map is clearly labeled beta you dont have to download it...

i swear you members are like little kindergarteners.

It's also about keeping things clean. If you release something, then re-release it I guarantee that somehow, some way, the broken version will continue to pop up in strange places.

I've been tempted to beta-release the map I'm currently working on since even in it's really unfinished state, the few people that have tested it have had a hella-lotta fun. But I'm not gonna, 'cause if I'm going to release something I think people deserve to see it in it's best possible state.

BitRaiser said:
I've been tempted to beta-release the map I'm currently working on since even in it's really unfinished state, the few people that have tested it have had a hella-lotta fun. But I'm not gonna, 'cause if I'm going to release something I think people deserve to see it in it's best possible state.

don't know about anyone else .. but your MY hero!

Its a great idea as long as you don't bitch about there to being enough maps to play. If mappers just edit and bump their initial posts, removing the link to the beta map then there will be no problem, aside from servers not updating their maps (But most admins that host custom maps tend to look for final releases.)

I agree. It's hard to keep up with the updates and know you have the correct map on the server.

Last edited:
im not opposed to releasing a beta.

but if you release a beta... it should be the ONLY beta, which means you better have playtested the hell out of it already (on a dedicated server with at least one other person)

i released a beta map.

i had spent only 4 days on it. however, 3 of those days were playtesting and bug killing (im not new to unreal engine mapping so this was really dedicated to polishing the map). i wont release another beta, just a final product and ive not rushed releasing that one bit.

a fun, solid "beta" can be a blast for the community. but the beta needs to be polished.

Last edited:
How can a man named "grammar police" have so many grammatical and lexical errors?

anyway. . . yeah he's right. A "beta" is a pretty much complete map, a map that is just awaiting final tweaks. If you have something that's not at the beta stage, give it to your frends, or ask other mappers to help, but don't give it a general release.

Effing [size=+9].[/size]

Just think about it, if you could have hosted servers with the T:V open beta, I bet there would still be a hundred players playing it.

I triede not releasing betas with dropszone and the gap, butt hetre are only so many things that you can test by yourself, there were bugs and issues that only came upw ith numerous people playing it. thing is, if you are a server admin, you should keep an eye on the threads for maps you download in the case of updates.

Back