[A Plea to VUG] Release the patch early on TW for beta testing

marantz

Audiophile³
Veteran X
I think VUG should release the patch a few days or maybe a week early on TW & TWL (or at least to a select group of people who actually play the game competitively) for testing & review before public release. This way we can be sure that all the bugs that need to be addressed are fixed and work properly on multiple people's installations. We could also help stress-test it for them.

In Marweas' initial post a few years ago announcing that "The next Tribes game got a green light!", he said the beta period would be lengthy to ensure all bugs were worked out before the game's release. I'd really like for this to happen with the new patch so we can get it right the first time and not require future patches to fix bugs and other holes in the game.

Regardless of VU's decision on this matter, I have much :heart: for you guys for supporting this awesome, awesome game. Thanks!

marantz said:
I think VUG should release the patch a few days or maybe a week early on TW & TWL (or at least to a select group of people who actually play the game competitively) for testing & review before public release. This way we can be sure that all the bugs that need to be addressed are fixed and work properly on multiple people's installations. We could also help stress-test it for them.

In Marweas' initial post a few years ago announcing that "The next Tribes game got a green light!", he said the beta period would be lengthy to ensure all bugs were worked out before the game's release. I'd really like for this to happen with the new patch so we can get it right the first time and not require future patches to fix bugs and other holes in the game.

Regardless of VU's decision on this matter, I have much :heart: for you guys for supporting this awesome, awesome game. Thanks!

I agree with ya bud 100%

BloodyShark said:
This thread makes me laugh.

Why? because someone wants to try to make sure the issues are fixed before the patch is released to the public? I commend anyone that wants to help to make sure the patch works before its released to public!

Last edited:
T-VET said:
Why? because someone wants to try to make sure the issues are fixed before the patch is released to the public? I commend anyone that wants to help to make sure the patch works before its released to public!

No, it's because it's just like trying to get beta over everyone else. You're not going to get it and I don't take attempts like these seriously. Therefore, it's funny.

Reality check:

What if the patch doesn't get approval from TW? Simple, they'd need to put out a rollback patch. Which would cost time and money, and would hurt the development of the actual patch. Or they'd need to release an update patch to the beta patch when the real patch comes out, which would be just as bad as a rollback patch.

Cliffs: it's not going to happen

Er... nope. Beta tests on patches are a required element. You never know when you might have an oops that fixes one thing, but breaks 12 others.

It's most likely that VUG will be handling the beta testing directly, tho.

BloodyShark said:
No, it's because it's just like trying to get beta over everyone else. You're not going to get it and I don't take attempts like these seriously. Therefore, it's funny.
that was not my intent AT ALL. i just want them to try it out with some people *in this community* who actually play the game competitively to ensure that everything that needs to be addressed is fixed. i don't care if that includes me or not, i just want a large enough sample size to ensure every aspect of the patch is tested before releasing it to the public. a chance for feedback from the beta testers would also be nice, but not as necessary as just getting it to more people for testing before its release.

besides, if i were to install the beta patch, i couldn't play with anyone else online besides the other people who had it installed. that means no scrims, matches, or pubs. i don't think that it's really something to be desired.

FishStix said:
beta testing a patch? seems like kind of overkill, dont you think?
it happened in T2

Here is some more info for you to consider.

There are basically two types of betas.

First, there are true beta tests. These are where the development process includes a section of time where a limited and closely monitored group of people in the 'wild' try out the program and report any problems they run into. Most people who are involved in betas think they are in this type of test, and mostly they are wrong. The key here is that the dev process includes a fair bit of extra time for this process - consider, at a minimum a couple weeks to distribute and test, then a week to gather feedback and consider what to fix, another week to fix it, another week to run it through QA, and then you *should* run it by the beta test group again.

Second, there are publicity betas. This is where the product has already been marked for release, it usually has small things that might be tweaked, but they will be minor. This type of beta is mostly to drum up customer response, make everyone excited about the upcoming release. If you get a product to beta, and it's coming out in less than a month, you are pariticipating in a publicity beta. This is what most betas are.

I don't think any of us really want a publicity beta for the patch, we just want the patch! And if a beta test would delay a patch for another 6 weeks - 2 months, I think we'd rather scrap that as well, despite the extra confidence it might give us.

how much of a condescending ignorant jerk do you have to be to think you could check the integrity of the patch better than the coders and testers themselves?

stfu marantz let them do it.

TeckMan said:
how much of a condescending ignorant jerk do you have to be to think you could check the integrity of the patch better than the coders and testers themselves?

because they did such a great job from beta to retail :rolleyes:

TeckMan said:
because this is the 2nd tribes game in a row that's been plagued by a shazbotty release. granted, the gameplay is excellent this time, but there's a ton of shazbot that needs fixing just like with T2.

TeckMan said:

Two things.

1. Name calling is not a constructive method of making your views known. I would suggest that you attack the issue instead of the person, you'll get a whole lot further in your life this way.

2. Real life users make the best testers. The coders and testers can only verify that it was created according to design, whereas real life users can verify the design itself, giving you an extra level of test coverage that is not generally available inside any given software house.

Therefore, if they are changing the basic design, Marantz has a very good idea. If they are simply patching bugs and plugging holes used for cheating, then the testing for this is better done by their QA staff.

If we knew more about what they were changing in the patch, we could figure out what kind of testing would best serve. We don't, therefore, as an offer to help is never a bad thing, at least the dev team knows we are willing if it's required.

Edit: My spelling sucks. ;)

Last edited:
BitRaiser said:
Er... nope. Beta tests on patches are a required element. You never know when you might have an oops that fixes one thing, but breaks 12 others.

It's most likely that VUG will be handling the beta testing directly, tho.

i'm guessing thats why we're waiting so long too. anything to avoid another 100 computers sitting outside dave g's office though...

Back