Editing .dds textures

dr_boom

Veteran XX
What can I use to edit textures exported from TV (.dds)? Please tell me there is something other than Photoshop that will work for this. I have tried a couple freebies, but they all fail to open them. This question is moot if someone has a black fog ring that I could use... :)

Edit/bump: First person with correct answer or fog ring gets my sweet bbq rib recipe...DON'T laugh, they freeking rock!

Last edited:
Nefilim said:
whats wrong with photoshop?

It's not in the budget at the moment... :) Not knocking the program.

I do have Photoshop Elements though and put the .dds plugins in there, now I can open .dds files exported from UED just fine. With TVED I get an "unexpected end of file error" which by definition means the file is corrupted. This error occurs with every texture I have tried to export from TVED so far...and with every type of .dds viewer program I use to open them. If I leave TVED running while trying to open the exported .dds files it crashes. There must be something wrong with my editor installation, but this is the only type of problem I am having with it...any ideas?

MonkeyHero... a fog ring is a mesh ring that you can place in your skybox. You make it the same color as your distance fog and position it so that your map objects/terrain don't "pop" in and out view...thanks for that link btw.

Last edited:
You really don't need any .dds plugins for creating new textures. You can use a number of other texture formats and import them into TVed. I'd use a .tga for what you need to do because you'll need the alpha to create the fade effect at the top of the ring. Beyond that all you need is a cylinder model properly unwrapped, and imported as a static mesh. Exporting as a .ASE file from max or whatever you use works best for that I believe.

MonkeyHero said:
You really don't need any .dds plugins for creating new textures. You can use a number of other texture formats and import them into TVed. I'd use a .tga for what you need to do because you'll need the alpha to create the fade effect at the top of the ring. Beyond that all you need is a cylinder model properly unwrapped, and imported as a static mesh. Exporting as a .ASE file from max or whatever you use works best for that I believe.

True, but I wanted to edit a skybox from the game. I cannot export any textures though, they all become corrupted. I did find a workaround for what I was trying to accomplish and it actually worked better than editing the textures, go figure...

Now for the ribs...

What u need (based on 6 slabs)

1-Vidalia Onion
1-Fresh Garlic Clove
1-oz Black Peppercorn
6-full slab pork ribs (do not freeze)
2-bottles "Sweet Baby Rays" bbq sauce

Chop up the onion and garlic and add with peppercorn to boiling ribs. Allow the ribs to boil until the meat just starts to fall off the bone (approx 2-3hrs, you will have to monitor this at the 2hr mark) Remove the ribs and marinate in bbq sauce for 1 hour (saturate them). Preheat the grill on high and throw em' on. Leave the ribs on long enough for the sauce to "carmelize". Yeah, you can all thank me later... :hungry:

Back