P2P speed up

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GTVitini

Hi all!

I just want to ask a question to someone who might know something...

I am connected to a LAN at a college and I want to use iMesh but the download speed is at the rate of 0.10 kb/s when all the others pages are downloaded almost instantly.

Does any body know a way to overcome this difficulty (Proxy settings,etc.)?

Thanxs in advance

Use an https proxy so the college can't sniff what you're doing and slow you down. Finding a proxy is the hard part, though.

Can you download by torrent?

even with a proxy you're not guaranteed to speed up your d/l rate. They're using a packet shaper (packeteer likely) that detects what you're downloading by checking known port numbers and whether the packets are UDP or TCP. If you can get a proxy on a computer outside of the campus and have it TUNNEL everything to you on a common port (21,22,23,25,80,443) via TCP (this is the tough part - there are a few that can change your UDP to TCP on linux...) then you would see an increase in speed. I dealt with this crap the last 2 years at college and did find a way to get around it with 2 linux boxes (one inside the lan, the other on a T1 outside) and then routeing my traffic from my windows box to the inside-lan linux box... but in the end the amount of P2P files (*cough*mp3s*cough*) on the LAN itself removed my need for the proxy... Now that I'm off campus it's not a problem anymore, but now I don't even bother downloading music. Kinda got off that habit and just started enjoying the stuff that I already have. Break out the mid-90s crap! w00t!

Kitrik

Kitrik said:
even with a proxy you're not guaranteed to speed up your d/l rate. They're using a packet shaper (packeteer likely) that detects what you're downloading by checking known port numbers and whether the packets are UDP or TCP. If you can get a proxy on a computer outside of the campus and have it TUNNEL everything to you on a common port (21,22,23,25,80,443) via TCP (this is the tough part - there are a few that can change your UDP to TCP on linux...) then you would see an increase in speed. I dealt with this crap the last 2 years at college and did find a way to get around it with 2 linux boxes (one inside the lan, the other on a T1 outside) and then routeing my traffic from my windows box to the inside-lan linux box... but in the end the amount of P2P files (*cough*mp3s*cough*) on the LAN itself removed my need for the proxy... Now that I'm off campus it's not a problem anymore, but now I don't even bother downloading music. Kinda got off that habit and just started enjoying the stuff that I already have. Break out the mid-90s crap! w00t!

Kitrik

If they are looking at packet headers, then you're out of luck.

As Kitrik says, use an encrypted tunnel that looks like https, vpn, ssh or some other "approved" protocol. Since it's encrypted, they can't inspect the payload to block it by some policy.

Thanxs...

But do you think if it is possible to download something using torrent?

p.s: Can anybody tell me something about torrent?

I know that suprnova downloads torrent but I don't know what to do after that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back