[MAP RELEASE] MP-Dunes, new beta version

adamant_2001

Veteran X
http://www.savant-online.net/files/mp-dunes.zip

dunes_ss6.jpg

Hills are twice as high as they were before. The skybox has also been changed.

Overall, the map should allow for some insane speeds now.

Anyway, please update your servers/mirrors with the new version when possible :)

Last edited:
hey, i wanna give congrats to the maker of this map. this, even in the state it was in a few days ago, was one of the few maps that had come out that was worthy of comp play IMO, even if it was a lil bit odd with the high up bases. it even has potential for being a good spawn map, if you wanted to kill those floating bases and put in a bunch of e or speed packs.

(ps suggestion is to put a catapult at the bottom of the ascent to the bases to make them go quicker)

Can we edit terrain textures right now? I havn't tried, I'm not a mapper, but I think it'd be cool if the dunes looked more sand-like. There were some great sand textures made for tribes, and of course Starsiege had some good ones. Just the whole wind blown sand look might make it look cooler, less run-of-the-mill.

Other than that, great map!

BrEaDmAn86 said:
Can we edit terrain textures right now? I havn't tried, I'm not a mapper, but I think it'd be cool if the dunes looked more sand-like. There were some great sand textures made for tribes, and of course Starsiege had some good ones. Just the whole wind blown sand look might make it look cooler, less run-of-the-mill.

Other than that, great map!

Some of the dunes have wispy sand, others have the more rocky look like in the screenshot.

I really like how it looks now. I haven't played it yet, but I will in a minute.

I just have a minor nitpick about the filenames that I thought I should mention... For your next release, could you rename the .mopp and .pkg files so that they both start with "MP-"? It helps keep the 'Maps' and 'Havokdata' folders organized. :)

ok, dl'd played, here are some points:

1. The BE base is harder to get into, more confined, and generaly allows inferior for inferior mass movement compared to the phoenix base. anyway you can just make it the phoenix base inside the BE base? Like erase the be base altogether, then just copy in a phoenix base (so equal bases) and then just surround the new base with a giant BE outside shell. So it looks from the outside like a BE base, but the inside is just as playable and nice as the phoenix one.

2. Due to the giant hills, my speed felt very very slow. 200 kph feels like 100 kph on this map. And considering how much i took damage by falling, i just couldn't shake the feeling that it felt like i was playing t2 base.

other then those, the map is decent.

Rev_Night said:
ok, dl'd played, here are some points:

1. The BE base is harder to get into, more confined, and generaly allows inferior for inferior mass movement compared to the phoenix base. anyway you can just make it the phoenix base inside the BE base? Like erase the be base altogether, then just copy in a phoenix base (so equal bases) and then just surround the new base with a giant BE outside shell. So it looks from the outside like a BE base, but the inside is just as playable and nice as the phoenix one.

2. Due to the giant hills, my speed felt very very slow. 200 kph feels like 100 kph on this map. And considering how much i took damage by falling, i just couldn't shake the feeling that it felt like i was playing t2 base.

other then those, the map is decent.

both of these are possible with a few minutes editing, but i honestly like the way the map stands now.

kudos again to adamant for a superb job, one of the few pub&comp worthy maps out right now imo.

Rev_Night: I thought about doing that, yet I'm trying to keep some consistentcy with Irrational's maps. The BE bases by being squares and Phoenix bases by being spheres are always going to be different in the capacity they allow inside. Changing the inside of the BE base would only seem like a forced fit.

However, in any future map I'll make sure that both side's bases are as identical as possible.

I've also done experiments with smaller hill sizes, and I don't like how the map looks and I don't like how the ground bases need to be changed to fit with that type of terrain. As it is, I didn't really want to increase the hill height, but it did lead to something a little more like a T1/2 map.

This should be a good thing, seeing as how the originals only problem was skiing was lame. Nice too see you took the criticism and made something beautiful our of it :D

Back