What TV should have done

kfc

Veteran XV
I know that 95% of you guys hat anything other than base. But a lot of people like the Renegades/shifter type of mods.

I was at a LAN this past weekend and getting the guys into TV. 1/2 the guys thought it was kick ass, 1/4 thought it was okay, 1/4 hated it.

Late in the night I fired up T1 and played on the biggest server I could find. It was some renegade-ish server. Instantly people said, "now why the eff doesn't TV have those type of weapons?".

IMO... If TV did what UT2K4 did, by releasing the game with multiple mods, mods that differ more from one another than TV does, that TV would be more popular. TV comes with some okay mods. But they all basically use the same maps and feel the same. If TV released a renegades type mod along with TV, the community would be larger. TV stock is kick ass eff for us VETs, but for people who have already seen more than TV has to offer will over look TV.

This is just my opinion.

I'm sure the mods are already in the works.. IG anticipated this I'd think.

Plus the SS mod should be a nice addition, I know I'm looking forward to it.

Great point.

Renegades will succeed tenfold. Some of the mods from T2 will also achieve greatness.

Shifter is another story.
emo has control of the name 'Shifter' and lets face it, the mod had alot of upside (from a former shifter player).

Terrox tried to right the ship in T2 after emo fubared it with that morphpack.

Several other shifter modders, namely, greyfalcon, czar, blastor and Gonzo all had one thing in common:

They did it by themselves. That has always been the biggest problem with Shifter. Look at Renegades. They are a team with one goal in mind. That is what it takes to achieve success on a broad scale. Teamwork.

Just ask the SS2845 crew. Very impressive effort and we all look forward to playing that. :)

Back to Shifter. The only one of the bunch I trust is Gonzo. The rest are good guys and I have met several of them personally, but trust is key to anything when it comes to the integrity of a mod or a modder. Gonzo stands head and shoulders above the rest in that regard.

Emo owns Shifter. Terrox owns Shifter. Czar owns Shifter.
They better live up to standard or they should be exiled from the Tribes community for once again, wrecking something good.

I hope they do this with expedience and expect more mods than T2 when this game finally calls it quits. I have heard from another person who is well on the way to developing a 'shifter style' mod and has integrity first and foremost in mind.

Stay tuned everyone... mods was one of the biggest reasons this game was going to succeed per the developers themselves. Hooah!

kfc said:
No, and one gun wont do it. Plus TV isnt the first game to have a grapple.

It's the first game to properly utilize a grappler =) though, quake 2's was pretty schweet for it's time.

the forums at SBA and shiftermod.com have some t:v shifter discussion going on. From what i hear, it's all talk right now.

YAEH WE WANT FULLAUTO DISC LAUNCHER!@211
AND UPSIDE DOWN MACHINEMORTAR!!11111
unlimited nrg and 4 varieties of hitscan aim-no-more weapenzsz for the win!

weapon mods effing suck, you effing jerk, go effing play counterstrike if you like that shazbot, bastard. die.

SS:2485 with T:V would have been huge if done well. UT2k4's success is mainly cause of Onslaught. A new fun gametype goes a long way. Although I was hoping Seige for T2 would take off. By the time I quit T2 no one ever wanted to play Siege :(

Mods and tons of goodies are alright and all, and I agree that too much was taken out of TV in terms of packs, weapons, and functions like the command console.

On the other hand, too much of this stuff turns Tribes into one big spamfest. deathmatch game..spawn die spawn die etc. The addditons need to keep the essence of the Tribes gameplay.

Goofy mods like War 2003 for Tribes 2 is a perfect example. Tons of nutty weapon, packs etc for one big boom fest. That to me is one big diff between Tribes and UT2k4. UT2k4 is too much like a deathmatch game on big maps versus a team battle CTF game where folks work in various roles both offensively and defensively.

Renegades wasnt a bad mod, and Shifter was quite fun (the T1 shifter NOT the T2 shifter which was crap) but I dont think it would be good to go overboard with too many weapons, vehicles etc.

Thats what I loved about T2 classic. It had all the elements of classic T1 gameplay, but it also included the addtion of the vehicles, shriek capping, shriek defense and more strategy all in a nice blend. TV to me is all base T1 gameplay (sort of) with a lot of the fun strategy gameplay elements removed. Great for competitions a bit boring for pubs.

At least TV is far more stable than T2 on its launch and I'm sure some great MODS and patches will give you everything you want. Dont worry Renwerx is already working on renegades for TV. They did mention due to it being built on Unreal it may actually be a complete rebuild versus just a simple mod so it may take longer to develop.

Last edited:
well the only mod that i played was ninjamod kick ass mod best mod made for t2, as a classic /base player ninja mod was so cool lots of fun shame they didnt get the ladder up in time, when they did there was only 6 clans on the ladder there could have been more i just hope they make a ninja mod. ren on t2 sucks didnt like it, well if ir decided to make a mod ninja mod is the one.

The game was made for mods so I doubt there will be a problem with adding weapons to the game. I do think that the map tools should work for the demo even if you can’t play them in mp.

The problem is the cheating. In just one month, there have been reports of cheaters in pubs and competition.

?B-MAN said:
Mods and tons of goodies are alright and all, and I agree that too much was taken out of TV in terms of packs, weapons, and functions like the command console.

...snip...

TV to me is all base T1 gameplay (sort of) with a lot of the fun strategy gameplay elements removed...

yup...

<--- old t1 shifter vet, [ImMo] and [SOW]

had to play crappy base in t2 till shifter came out and when it did, it sucked ass =/

had to play base and after about 2 months of vomiting on my keyboard, i finally got used to it, and now i like it.

BTW is the SBA still around ?

?B-MAN said:
Thats what I loved about T2 classic. It had all the elements of classic T1 gameplay, but it also included the addtion of the vehicles, shriek capping, shriek defense and more strategy all in a nice blend. TV to me is all base T1 gameplay (sort of) with a lot of the fun strategy gameplay elements removed. Great for competitions a bit boring for pubs.

100% agree on that. While T:V is a great game by itself, it is IMO only the bare essentials for a Tribes game.

Aveox said:
100% agree on that. While T:V is a great game by itself, it is IMO only the bare essentials for a Tribes game.

I agree, what we have so far is great. But IMO it is only about 1/3 done. I would bet that some of the developers agree. It was probably out of there hands and someone decided it would take too long to finish it.

Back