[discussion] Dropzone Wasted ready for CTF prime-time?

Pachacutec

Veteran X
The map design of dropzone wasted has some great features besides just looking incredible.

Well placed turrets and stop points along the way allow for grappling back and forth under the bridge, and the sentries are menacing creatures perched on the bases outer walls. the flag is on an outreach which allows for some snappy return routes with the grapple.

all the meanwhile, a speedpack and a sniper cover allows you as a heavy to navigate the bridge safely.

i think this map is ready to be added to the retail set and possibly included as a CTF official tournament map.

Pro: new perspective on tribes emphasizing new lesser used components, speedpack, manned-sentry turrets, and grappling

Cons: no ski routes johnny, for the "tribes is skiing only" group this map is a downer, and not what they want to see.

I'm having a blast on this, and I definitely encourage open minded admins to add it to your server rotation.

Nice work.

how the hell did I miss this thread :/ however Im thinking rereleasing this one and the others with the fixed command map, is it worth it to re-download it?

-SJ

edit: this would be done via a map pack

Last edited:
SmOkkin' Joe said:
how the hell did I miss this thread :/ however Im thinking rereleasing this one and the others with the fixed command map, is it worth it to re-download it?

-SJ

edit: this would be done via a map pack

yeah the command map would be nice. also, what about moving those jump pads back a little further so they dont launch you into the main base front?
just a liiittle further back.

otherwise i love it.

i think they are quite well there actually it doesnt take much but if you jet after the jump and you just clear the top of the front, you can as a light go all the way almost to the other base. even as a heavy I've had no toruble clearin it. just use the jets a bit :D usually i use jets to get altitude and then if i have one i hit an epack

As a side (probably off topic) note... what's the deal with the .mopp and .tvm sizes? Zip can compress them both down to about 40% of the original. That indicates either wasted space, lots of text, repeated bytes or something. I doubt the server can offer DLing as zipped when you want to join a map you don't have but it should.

ucc can compress/decompress files. There's probably some way to use that to compress it, send it, then have the client decompress it. Hell if I know how though.

you need to enable http redirect (see other threads) and UCC compress the files and upload to the webserver (note if you enable redirect, you need to compress ALL your custom maps, packages, mutators etc that the client downloads too).

When the client connects, they see the loading screen, while they download and decompress automatically.

A 15meg map will compress to about 2.5meg, not tried mopp's, though on first load TV should create the mopp itself as far as I know

To compress a file, simply put it in the bin dir, open a command prompt, cd to that dir, and "ucc compress <filename>"

Erok said:
The Gap should be considered also as soon as the dedicated server issue is fixed with forcefields.

erok, the errors that you said you were getting, did they stop the map from working? also you emailed me with the new command feedback thing but none of it is an error, do the forcefields work by chance now?

I really wish there Forcefields would start displaying correctly.

:bump: because i reallly think this map should be included in server rotations. a lot of maps fit that "fun for pubs feel" and depending on how you view tribes this might be one of those; in t1 for me it definitely was.

in t:v with the grappler, it's fleshed out and there definitely is freedom of movement on it :)

plus its visually just realy well done. some detail, but not overdone and well placed, looooong drops that scare you etc...

Release it with the updated command map anyway, please. It'll improve the whole experience as a general thing. Besides, it seems the community has figured out a way to bypass (not fix :( ) the problem, so no new maps should suffer from it. Hopefully it will be resolved in the...eh, I won't even say it.

Im in the works of a snow map right now (Arena/Rabbit). If I get some mapping time this week I'll finish this one and release the whole lot of them together.

Back