HUD Help

WorstAim

Veteran XV
Hello, I had a quick question for you guys. I imported a .bmp into Hud.pkg, and got it to show up in tribes, but I need to kno how to make its background transparent. Also, how do you edit texture images within the editor? Can you? If you can't, is their anyway to export a texture from within the editor to a file other then a .dds. Thanks a lot for the info. Just so you kno, I did make the background of my new hud transparent in Paint Shop Pro, but that isn't helping at all when I import it into the game. Thanks again.

-WorstAim

Ive never had much luck with importing bmp ..I have had to use the nVidia plugin to convert bmps to dds file format.http://developer.nvidia.com/page/home . then import them into the editor..

Now for transparent, the parts you wish to be transpatent need to be total black..I could be mistaken on this mind you but its whats worked for me in the past.You also have to set up a value in the editor for this..I dont remember it off the top of my head to be honest..I want to say its the bAlphaTexture = true under the propreties.

Either in psp or ps you will have to add work with a alpaha layer/channel depending on which program you will be using.

Thats about as much as i can help..i am still new to this editor soo, maybe someone with more brains will add to this for ya..Hope it helps some and good luck.

Correct me if I am wrong, but a .bmp does not support an alpha channel. Wouldn't you be better off using a .png or the like?

Strega said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but a .bmp does not support an alpha channel. Wouldn't you be better off using a .png or the like?

I had thought of this, but you cannot import .png files into TV Ed. Its a good idea, but doesn't work :/

I'm using .tga. You get the alpha, plus a nice looking image. Also, it's probably best to use dxt5 when compressing so you don't get steps in the alpha. I'm sure you've figured this out also, but the image sizes have to be powers of 2 (2,4,8,16,32, etc.)

Back