[Update] Scarabrae almost finished, but need help!

Ashley

Veteran XV
Hello all, I wanted to let you know Scarabrae's Beta build is 90% there. But I have run in to a major problem.

See, the Architecture is DONE on the Bases; every little detail. (not textures or decorations)

But It seems T:V doesnt like how complicated the bases are. The outer bases textures are "Chopped" up and can see through them.

Im guessing this is a problem with toomany Brushes interacting in one area... A little over 200 in all :|

I'm hoping somone can help *cough* santa *cough*

Keep in mind ONLY the Architexture of the bases are done. there is no special textureing or Decorations. And the Terrain has no Marco texture or Deco layers. So its just had one plain grass layer.

BUT on a positive note I would like to say the terrain is FUNNNNNN to ski around. I scaled it the best I could, and I feel there is plenty of room around the entire map to screw around before you hit the OOB grid.
My SpeedBar consistantly registers 300 (Thats as far as it goes)

if anyone would like to help, please contact me.

KillerONE said:
I absolutely hate Scarabrae. But, nice work!!

;)

But I understand, Scarabrae is a Map where Teamwork is ESSENTIAL. You dont find that on Pubs, so most people found it an unpleasant experance.

I will tell you this, the Flags will be ALOT easier to get too, and there will be NO middle base to capture.

Regarding the holes in builder brushes, I had the same problem, and I think I've figured out how to fix it:

I think it has to do with the "order" that the brushes are drawn when you rebuild your level. So select two of the brushes that are near each other and are having the problem and select order --> swap order or whatever the command is, and it'll switch which brush has "priority." You may have to do this a LOT if you have a lot of intersecting brushes that aren't displaying properly. But eventually it'll look right. You'll have to rebuild every time you switch the order to see the changes.

Incidentally, I found this out while I was looking for how to fix my skybox, because the skybox texture was displaying all funky after I had added a bunch of brushes and rebuilt. Turns out you need to set your skybox brush to order --> to first so that it's the first brush the editor cuts out when you rebuild.

Cheers man! I cant help you technically but support your effort to bring scarabrae to T:V.
One of the all time great maps in the tribes pantheon (IMO). Aaah the memories; desperate fights for the side generator hallway, the everpresent battle for the center tower objective. Never mind the crazy in base flag placement.
Somebody PLEASE give this guy(ashley) the support he needs so that we can re visit this classic map in T:V style.

the more the merrier

waxingeloquent said:
Regarding the holes in builder brushes, I had the same problem, and I think I've figured out how to fix it:

I think it has to do with the "order" that the brushes are drawn when you rebuild your level. So select two of the brushes that are near each other and are having the problem and select order --> swap order or whatever the command is, and it'll switch which brush has "priority." You may have to do this a LOT if you have a lot of intersecting brushes that aren't displaying properly. But eventually it'll look right. You'll have to rebuild every time you switch the order to see the changes.

Incidentally, I found this out while I was looking for how to fix my skybox, because the skybox texture was displaying all funky after I had added a bunch of brushes and rebuilt. Turns out you need to set your skybox brush to order --> to first so that it's the first brush the editor cuts out when you rebuild.

I cant find a swap order option anywhere :(

I seem to recal that the very first TV screenshot from YEARS ago was of the Scarabrae base. This is when TV was just a rumor and by no means official yet.

Is there someone on the DEV team that could be so kind as to release the base they already made for TV?

I've been seriously looking forward to playing Scarabrae again because I also like the massive bases. You might want to make it like the variant with the flag on the front top patio where the turret was though. It's alot harder to infiltrate bases in TV and the old flag placement would be a serious pain.

I think i mostly miss playing SB in mods with teleporters and deployable walls. I had so much fun baricading myself in the enemy flag room with a teleporter back to my flag :)

ICE9 said:
I seem to recal that the very first TV screenshot from YEARS ago was of the Scarabrae base. This is when TV was just a rumor and by no means official yet.

Is there someone on the DEV team that could be so kind as to release the base they already made for TV?

That map was River Stronghold. I PMed the guys and they said the map was still lying around somewhere but when I asked to see the base architecture they never wrote back. Im waiting for someone to recreate that map. I was really looking foward to it.

Ashley said:
I cant find a swap order option anywhere :(

If you select the addition/subtraction brush or brushes you want to fix, then right click, there should be an option for "order" just below "align to floor" and just above "brush type." Ctrl+left click to select two of the brushes and right click ---> order ---> swap order to change the order in which they are built when the level is rebuilt, then rebuild the geometry to see if it made any difference.

Back