Announcer + Talking = Lag

MikSchultzy

Veteran XX
Anyone else have this problem? Or do you just lag like a bitch anyways?

Really getting on my damn nerves. Not that the announer talks, it's that the game lags. :\

I get lagged when alot of turrets are shooting around me. Its like a chugga lugga for about .5 - 2 seconds. Same with large explosions.

elFyourSeLf said:
the announcer isn't the problem. this isn't tribes 1 anymore. time to throw out the voodoo 3. get a better computer.

Though I will be updating soon, my PC shoul run this game fine.
Not to mention, it happens reguardless of which resoultion I am running.

AMD 2,080mhz
DDR 512
9800XT

how do you just turn off the talking? i mean that the text like "enemy flag returned" or whatever still shows on the screen, but there's no announcer's voice with it? not that it's lagging me, it's just annoying to hear.

Code:
[Gameplay.ConcreteSpeechManager]
SpeechInnerRadius=1
SpeechOuterRadius=4096
AnnouncerType=[b]Announcer0[/b]
Taa daa, no more announcer.

I have the exact same problem.

Even while waiting for a match to start and people are doing global voices, i see my screen lag while the sound plays.

I've been trying unsuccessfully to get the game to run smoothly all of the time. It runs smooth sometimes, and a very few particular maps I just can't get to run smooth worth a damn (Cavern, Tropics).

Its really annoying.

I know I should be getting better FPS, I've tried all the tweaks in the "Big Monkeys Tweaks" thread and all the sites dedicated to squeezing out performance. Nothing seems to help much more than a couple FPS, and the sound makes me lag always.

Specs:
AMD Barton 2500XP
ASUS A7N8XD
512MB DDR
BFG Geforce 6800 OC 128MB
Note: I've even tried overclocking my cpu and gpu, nothing helps.

You neglected to post what settings you are using but I will offer some advice anyway.

Since it seems like you are having an audio issue this leads me to believe that your PC is loading the audio from your virtual memory when it should be grabbing it from your RAM. Since the Audio is coming from your virtual memory I can only assume that it is because your RAM is full. So in theory you need more RAM. Of course this is all speculation...

On a side note, I believe currently that the minimum requirement for RAM is a 1GB. No matter what the requirements say on the box.

Oops, sorry.

Like I've said above, I've tried just about everything. That includes detail levels and resolution (though I'd prefer 1280, due to the limitations of the native resolution of my LCD).

The only thing that is on high right now is fog, everything else is medium or less. I have been going back and forth between 1280x1024 and 1024x768 with really no change in performance.

I still think it's a RAM issue.

What kinda sound card do you have? Have you tried disabling or enabling 3D sound?
Defragged your HDD? Have you shut down all of the program running in the background?

Its the onboard nf2 sound. Actually, last night I tried the dxdiag and set the sound acceleration to 0 to see if that might help. Nada :(

The only things I have running is trillian, mirc and TS2 as I shut all other stuff down before starting up T:V.

Defrag was teh first thing I thought ;)

I just don't understand why its such a resource hog.

It's a probably a hog because of the high-rez textures...

Did you disable the 3D sound? Have you thought about getting a soundcard? Onboard sound solutions take up CPU cycles.

Back