[Feedback] Vehicles, Questions and bugs

mc-fine

Veteran X
So far T:V has been real fun. Didn't take too long to get the Tribes feeling back and I am having a blast. However something that has been mentioned since way before the open beta still remains and I was wondering if the devs see it as an issue.

Vehicle physics are pretty bad. Thought so when I first saw videos, confirmed after playing. Acceleration is instant on the Tank. Instant stop and instant reverse. Makes it feel that it has no weight. Granted its a tank that jumps but it should at least show some inertia with speed build up and braking.

Rover is even worse because it looks like it turns with the front wheels but friction, drag and movement of the front tires is completely ignored. It pivots from the center of the vehicle just like the tank. Tank is supposed to because of tracks for wheels but not a vehicle that turns with two front wheels.

Its not deal breaking but it looks kinda unprofessional.

Question: Is there a reason that the Assault Pod thingy only boosts when you try to decrease altitude? Would be nice to be able to boost forward while increasing/decreasing altitude seperately.

Question: Wouldn't it be better to leave steering/driving of the tank keyboard controlled so that you could rotate the tank turret freely while driving in any direction? As it stands you can't be driving forward and shooting behind you.

Bug: It seems there is an issue with some actions being locked to certain keybinds. I set leftarrow key to 'Select Weapon 1' but instead of selecting the weapon it drops the weapon. If I set it to a key other than leftarrow it works as it should. Dunno if its only leftarrow but its something to check.

Bug: My comp has locked up a few times while playing. I am not sure if its unstability in my system but it seems to happen in only one condition. If I run into the inventory station and click the use button quickly my comp hard locks with sounds looping. Can't ctrl-alt-del or anything and I have to restart whole computer. Never crashes during anything else but have locked up about 5 times now at the inv stations. I thought maybe cause I was using 4.9 beta drivers so I switched to 4.8 official release and same problem.

System:
XP 2500+ @ 2.145 ghz
Radeon 9600 Pro
768 MB PC3200
Abit NF-7

Last edited:
mc-fine said:
Question: Is there a reason that the Assault Pod thingy only boosts when you try to decrease altitude? Would be nice to be able to boost forward while increasing/decreasing altitude seperately.

Question: Wouldn't it be better to leave steering/driving of the tank keyboard controlled so that you could rotate the tank turret freely while driving in any direction? As it stands you can't be driving forward and shooting behind you.

I wouldn't mind either of these implemented, although the second one is especially a good idea.

grr... crashing again. Same crap. This is going to start doing damage to my hd. I have to go really slowly on to inv station if I don't want it to crash. Anyone else having a similar issue? What happened to the good old GPFs when the game crashed?

i just got disconected from a map, and i was trying the hardest to get a good score. 37 before the map ended i got disconected. i wanted to see more score! :(.

ohh and yea vehicles are effed up. so this is an important topic

mc-fine said:

Try boosting while looking upwards, specifically if you spiral your pod. This will allow you to boost upwards. The pod can't go upside down, and can't roll side to side either, but you can sort of trick it to those extremes.

Another neat trick with the pod is to 'ski' it. Boost forward with your viewpoint held high, and you will maintain an almost horizontal forward direction, then angle down and hit a terrain dip. You will take a small amount of damage, but if you pull it off correctly, the pod will lurch forward, allowing you to hit the jet button to gain some more forward momentum.

Personally, I'd love a pod that had the ability to roll and pitch completely upside down, and which handled more like a plane, versus the some what helicopter control system. However, I think the current setup does a good job at keeping the pod interesting, while leaving it sufficiently underpowered to prevent it from dominating the game.

This is supposed to be Tribes, not 'Pods' afterall.... ;)

Teflonatron said:
Try boosting while looking upwards, specifically if you spiral your pod. This will allow you to boost upwards. The pod can't go upside down, and can't roll side to side either, but you can sort of trick it to those extremes.

Another neat trick with the pod is to 'ski' it. Boost forward with your viewpoint held high, and you will maintain an almost horizontal forward direction, then angle down and hit a terrain dip. You will take a small amount of damage, but if you pull it off correctly, the pod will lurch forward, allowing you to hit the jet button to gain some more forward momentum.

Personally, I'd love a pod that had the ability to roll and pitch completely upside down, and which handled more like a plane, versus the some what helicopter control system. However, I think the current setup does a good job at keeping the pod interesting, while leaving it sufficiently underpowered to prevent it from dominating the game.

This is supposed to be Tribes, not 'Pods' afterall.... ;)

Good tip with facing up while boosting. It does negate the downward effect to an extent. I figured that if they didn't want to make the Pod too fast they would put a limit on the boost similar to the boost recharge on tank. I think that would also work as well.

3 Fast 3 Furious Rocket pod equipped with NOS :D

Back