Important: Mouse Feedback

N

NVSniper519

There is a large problem with this game that needs to be licked, and that is the mouse sampling.

Currently, there arent any options for things like Mouse Acceleration, Acceleration Threshold, Mouse Smoothing, only Mouse Sensitivity thus far. I don't know if these are being planned to add at a later time, but they are absolutely essential for gameplay purposes.

Why? T:V is an FPS. In FPS games, your main instrument of death that is used for aiming and firing, which is the whole point of the game nearly, is the mouse. If there aren't options to customize and cater to your mouse feedback, then it's going to feel choppy, sluggish, and hard to aim. These options should have become a staple in all new FPS games.

Why are they so important? Let me try to break it down for you, starting off with definitions.

Mouse acceleration is the value that determines how much the mouse turn speed accelerates (hence the name) when you move the mouse at different speeds. For example, if you move the mouse slowly, the mouse takes forever to turn your view around, and if you move it quickly, the mouse will spin around exponentially faster, the faster the mouse is moved.

Mouse acceleration threshold determines how much mouse movement is required to kick off the acceleration, picking up acceleration either earlier or later depending on the value set. This can be good with a high threshold setting if you spend a lot of time in a low sensitivity environment (i.e. sniping) and occasionally have to spin around rapidly as an attacker passes you. It can also be good in a low threshold setting if you spend a lot of time in a high sensitivity environment (i.e. capper, disc user, etc), and occasionally have to make minor aiming inputs from a long distance, such as using a long distance weapon for a brief period.

Mouse smoothing determines the mouse sample input rate recorded by your PC. A higher sample rate means slightly more CPU usage, but with a more accurate and smoother mouse feedback on the screen. Generally, enabling this will also require a subsequent rise in Mouse sensitivity to offset the higher sample rate. The mouse will require more movement to cover the same scale on the screen if no sensitivity change is made, but it is possible to cover every pixel on the screen if you are accurate enough with your mouse. A lower mouse sample rate with no mouse smoothing, such as how it stands now in T:V, often times causes the reticle to skip over dozens of pixels, as it has trouble reading the mouse with slow movement speed, especially while zoomed in. This can create havoc while trying to snipe someone at a distance with a low sensitivity, while not moving the mouse fast enough produces no change in aim, and moving the mouse just slightly faster causes a slow and uneven skipping effect as the game tries to read the mouses minute changes.

Please try to implement these features as the game, as being able to aim accurately is just as important in an FPS as being able to shoot the basketball in an NBA game is. It shoul definitely NOT be overlooked.

Thank you for reading through this.

nvsniper519

This man speaks the truth, he's also my pal.

He may not be Navy like "Fancy" but he *is* Air Force, and most importantly -- a good man.

:drummer:

It's already in there.. I messed around with mine after getting a little frustrated with the jerky mouse movements.

[?]:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Tribes Vengeance Beta\Program\Bin\User.ini (all the way on the bottom, 2nd to last)
Code:
[Engine.PlayerInput]
bInvertMouse=True
MouseSmoothingMode=0
MouseSmoothingStrength=0.300000
MouseSensitivity=2.500000
MouseSamplingTime=0.008333
MouseAccelThreshold=90.000000
DoubleClickTime=0.250000
That's my setup right now.. disabling the MouseSmoothingMode makes the mouse a lot smoother.

Hm.. I see them in there, but I'm not sure if they actually do anything. It doesn't appear to make a difference on mine at all, whereas on Doom3, the Mouse smoothing slider bar helps a _ton_.

I'll play around with it a bit more, though. I hope to see these settings make it into the GUI as well.

Last edited:
I don't see it in default.ini either. I also checked defuser.ini to no avail.

I might copy and paste that code into my user.ini and see if it works.

Back