[?]HUGE FPS tweak[?]

Hell Phoenix

Veteran XV
*NOTE 1* I believe that this is only beneficial to people who have 512 or less megabytes of ram but one/two giggers feel free to tree this:
*NOTE 2* I am not sure this tweak works. i was not running any script that tells me my FPS. just by playing the game with 15+ other people and by looking at the game i would say i had an FPS increase. i went from low settings 1280 res to med settings 1280 and seemed to have the same FPS.
*NOTE 3* Upon entering the game again you will need to readjusted your settings because they go back to default everytime you resave your default.ini file.

TySoft said:
HOW TO FIX DEAD STOPPING FROM ANTI SPEED HACK CODE:

1. Remove read-only attribute on the file /program/bin/default.ini
2. Under [Engine.GameEngine] add bcheatprotection = False

(Thanks Roger of IGA for this.)

i found this because of this man so i thank him. Do exactly what he said, save the info, then scroll back down to the [Engine.GameEngine] section and where it says CacheSizeMegs= it might say 32 or 20. i have 512 mb of ram so i just put 512. for you giggers, i dunno try 1024 instead.MAKE SURE YOU SAVE THE FILE. I will tell you that I DO NOT HOLD ANY RESPONISBILITY TO ANY GAME DEFECTS THAT HAPPEN AFTER YOU PERFORM THIS TWEAK. PERFORM AT YOUR OWN RISK. that said, you might as well give it a try. i appologize if others are already aware of this, just letting the newbs know like myself ;). if nothing happens, well nothing happens and i appologize. good day to you.
-hp

Last edited:
;) thats what i thought about. it works though i run medium settings on EVERYTHING witha 1280 resolution on a 993 mhz box with 512mb of ram and quadro 4 xgl pro. my guess on fps would be 30-40 in a 12-14+ person game.

yeah i know i just really dont know anything about engines so i didnt know if that was part of the tweak or not cuz when i did the tweak i did that with it so i didnt know if tysofts thing effected mine at all. better safe then sorry though.

thats actually suppose to be your video card ram. Not system. This is the first tweak I did. Took it from Raven Shield.

nixor said:
thats actually suppose to be your video card ram. Not system. This is the first tweak I did. Took it from Raven Shield.

well my card is a 128mb and from 128 to 256 there was a huge jump and an even bigger one when i bumped it up to 512.

why dont you try it, it worked for me. my card is a 128 and the default when i first went in was set at 32. just jack it up like i first posted. maybe 256 or 512. give it a shot.

It was proven in Doom 3 that this is simply a placebo fix. You only fix your own ego - it doesn't do anything for your FPS, though. How was it proven? Simple; there are time demos in Doom 3, which basically render the exact same pre-done scene, over and over.

It renders it at the fastest your card can chug it out on the settings you are in.. so if you have a really fast card, the demo runs by really fast, way way too fast compared to normal play. It gets an average of your FPS during the whole rendering, and gives you your "score" in average FPS.

The tweak was tested over, and over, and over.. ad naseum on the tests, and IT DOES NOT WORK. Quit fooling yourself into believing it does - because it doesn't.

Friendly neighborhood information.

Sorry if that came across snippity. =)

Holy shazbot this gave me a HUGE boost. I used to be capped at around 90 fps when i'm looking at the wall and stuff, now it spiked to 120-180.

Btw don't set it to 1024, it crashes, even if you have 1 gig of ram, try 512 or something.

Rule of thumb is subtract 200 from your system ram size and use this number...

It you have 512mb of system ram use 300 or 312.

edit: Better yet, check how much ram the game uses (max) for you... and subtract that number from your system mem number and use that number.

Last edited:
If you edit your default ini remember to make it read only again. Oh and delete the ini file with the same name as the exe so your new settings will take effect.

Anyone else have any real numbers for framerate differences with this done? I'm not sure staring at a wall is necessarily representitive of normal game-playing performance. Perhaps looking in a base crowded with glowy inventories and stuff would be. :shrug:

Back