we haven't had a good flame thread in awhile, so here it goes. (TW DRAMA)

ayzianboy said:
i think WOFN is a big fucking waste of time and effort and a massive squander of money.

WSBN and TsN already exist. WOFN is just overkill. It's like starting another gamespot/gamespy/IGN/whatever the fuck site.

WSBN doesn't exist. Nice of you to notice several of their members in our staff.

Next?

ayzianboy said:
i think WOFN is a big fucking waste of time and effort and a massive squander of money.

WSBN and TsN already exist. WOFN is just overkill. It's like starting another gamespot/gamespy/IGN/whatever the fuck site.

And when was the last time TSN even mentioned "tribes" let alone shoutcasting a match?

Cav Scout said:
And when was the last time TSN even mentioned "tribes" let alone shoutcasting a match?

TsN has casted a 113 matches in the past 30 days... but now we are off topic... please, continue, these aren't the doids you are looking for... move along! :browsmile

This whole issue revolves around a misuse of funds. Tribalwar is not a monarchial welfare system were the largest unemployed person gets the most $$$.

There needs to be some sort of judicial oversight here. I call for the creation of a TW Budget Committee. Hardworking TWites did not donate monies to be used in manners unsubject to any level of scrutiny.

And can we just label Pixidee "special interest" and lock her in the back corner?

LogRoller said:
Warning, incoming giant post from LogRoller. Don't fucking read it if it is too long for you. I'm bottom lining it as much as I'm going to.

Okay, I have read the entire thread, and I'm somewhat upset with some of the people who are flaming folks who legitimately criticized Colosus in what I consider to be a relatively mature fashion, given the level of social dialogue that has been well established here on this board. I am looking in particular at old_skul, Bounty, and Cheater because their reactions surprised me the most, but others as well.

Now, to put this in context. I don't mind what Colosus does with the money. I really don't. So please be mindful of that fact as you read this. I think what he did was wrong, but he said that he was sorry, and I have forgiven him. I like Colosus and consider him a treasured online pal.

People were giving money for a server for the forums. Maybe their motivations were varied, but the intent of that fund drive was to get funds to provide a server for this site and these forums. To take part of the money and use it for another purpose, although legal, is not in the spirit of what I would consider to be the intent of the donations. Some people, like Dru, felt that the use of the money to support a "value adding" service that they did not appreciate was inappropriate. I agree with that. I sometimes listen to WOFN, but if it disappeared tomorrow, I would not give any money to save it at this time. If TW were to disappear tomorrow, I would give money to save it. Perhaps as the community develops and T:V comes out, I will feel differently.

Justifications being thrown around about Colosus' time put into the site and such, although certainly heartfelt and justified emotionally, are falling on deaf ears when it comes around to me. I have been participating in this community for quite some time - since the week Tribes 1 came out, actually. I have also been thinking about it for a long time.

I spent a lot of my life on this game. Not just playing it, but also trying to make it enjoyable for others. I posted a lot on the forums. I joined the DTM with the intent of helping newbies learn to play. I eventually came to be a moderator for the Sierra forums which had gotten too big for Analog Kid to handle. Even though my efforts were largely unappreciated by many of the people here (and I understand why, and I partially agree, so no need to dwell on it), everything that I did was to provide help and support to a community that I cared about quite a lot. I burned vacation days when T2 was released just to constantly hang in TribesIRC and help newbies sort out their issues. My wife was pissed! I spent at least an hour every night answering troubleshooting questions for weeks. And I did not expect anything in return for that. Making the community accessible and relatively friendly was its own reward.

I also post here a lot, and always have. I often try to make jokes and make people laugh. I also try to get people to just be nice to each other once in a while. I like doing that, so when people post that they like what I have written, it encourages me. And when I see that, it lets me know that they enjoy whatever contribution I have made to the community dialogue. I've also thought a lot about the game, and over the years have tried to represent different views on the forum even when I did not necessarily agree with them, just to try to make people think. Why? Because it added value to the forums and the community, and increased the level of interaction about the game. That stuff is fun for me, just because of my personality. I spend a lot of time doing it. I don't want money for it.

And I can not imagine the amount of time that other members of the community have contributed into making maps, demos, guides, scripts, software, and all of the rest of it.

Justifying the use of that money by saying that Colosus deserved it is a slap in the face to anyone who has ever done anything beneficial for the Tribes community without expecting any money in return. What it is saying is that the service that Colosus has voluntarily chosen to provide because it presumably brings him some inherent existential pleasure is valuable enough that our donations should be misappropriated without our knowledge or consent. It is an insult, and I find it ironic that old_skul accuses twiztd of having a sense of entitlement because that is precisely what is being assumed on Colosus' behalf with this argument. He is entitled to do whatever he wants, because he works so hard.

Well, over the past 5 years, a lot of us have worked hard. I don't think that it entitles us to anything, because we've already had our reasons for doing it.

If you disagree, and you think that efforts should be rewarded, then ask for it and say so up front. That's not an unreasonable thing to expect. I can not believe some of the attitudes being expressed in this thread. I really just do not get it, and I am upset by it.

That about sums up how I feel except that I don't forgive colosus because I didn't donate and can't really complain.

Radon006 said:
That about sums up how I feel except that I don't forgive colosus because I didn't donate and can't really complain.

I agree, that pretty much does sum it up, however I don't feel Colossus is really sorry. I mean hell, he has a laptop now, what's to be sorry about?

mznthrope said:
I donated money to Col to use as he saw fit. IIRC, I, um, sent it directly to him via PayPal, and not into some democratically controlled escrow. Did we get a new server? Yup. Did we get nice coverage of the T:V event? Yup. Did Col get a nice new laptop using a few hundred dollars of TW donations? Yup. Did he get laid? Evidently not. Too bad. Hell, I'll send 20 bucks to a "get the dude a ho" fund if somebody decides to start one.
Fraggle, bring actual drama to the next drama thread, please?

I retract all previous statements.

ok so there is no way i am reading 46 pages of this shit, i got through page 2 but got sick of the bullshit quickly

Any real pics of the laptop or other gear purchased with TW funds?
Hot nude pics of pixidee?

ah what do i care, i didn't donate...(glad i didn't now)

With any charity case, complete disclosure of donated funds is a must. Hell all we have to do is form some sort of TW religion with Col as god and we can get a tax write off...

oh wait, i forgot, im the dumbass that actually came up with a good idea about making legit funds for TW that was strictly voluntary but mutally benefitial to all involved, including Col and TW...but mr. fatty pants cried about how this was a gaming site and suppose to be fun...well we have had fun, but if we are in such desperate need for equipment and col is spending sooooooooo much time in admining this community, then lets give him a financial benefit that he can use as he wishes, no quesitons asked. BUT until we get such a revenue stream, none of the above can happen. Any monies donated must be used to the mutal benefit of those that contributed.

Since we aren't out feeding starving children or curing aids, the shallow purpose of this website should be to sustain us eager interphites at all cost, but those cost should be made known to us anyway.

cliffnotes: ACCOUNTABILITY

I haven't donated but may in the future. If and when I donate I'd be a lot happier to know where that money was going. Had Colosus posted regarding what he wanted to use the money for I feel that it's a safe bet that the community would've backed him up. After all it was used for our benefit.

Maybe contributers should get certain voting rights regarding how the funds are used when things like this come up? A board of trustees so to speak?

I don't really mind that he bought himself the laptop. He probably does deserve it. But people should know where their money is being spent.

That is all.

Imposter said:
He spend 1k of TW money on hardware that'll be used to cover events like that press conference and E3 and other crap that turns up. Ya most of the time it will be just his, but we needed some hardware to do a job, and its gotta live somewhere.

I didn't contribute, many reasons why, but I find it hard to believe not one of you guys owns a laptop.

But whatever.

Hmm, curious if Colossus needed to purchase a laptop and couldn't borrow from a friend or TW member coming to the event.

gibsonic said:
With any charity case, complete disclosure of donated funds is a must.

Not to be mean, but what dreamworld do you live in, man?

That's absolutely untrue. I work for a non-profit organization that receives more than 50% of its funding from donations, and we are under NO legal obligation to provide complete disclosure of our spending activities to our donors.

Edit: Oh, but as I did tell LogRoller in IRC, if I'd actually seen Colosus' solicitation post for funds for a server, I would agree that he should have posted notification of the new purchase, since those donated funds were earmarked for a specific purpose. (I've just been being a contrary ass in this thread for kicks.) ;)

Last edited:
Back