we haven't had a good flame thread in awhile, so here it goes. (TW DRAMA)

Darkness said:
i didn't donate till Col started his(not gigafool's) quest for money for the server upgrades, so technically Col was the one who 'asked' me to donate.

You should come hang out in the office across the hall from me (Development office for a non-profit organization.)

It's quite a learning experience with regards to how donations and solicitations work in the real world.

Most donations you make to an organization rarely go to fund the areas of the organization that you either think they will go to, or have been led to believe they will go to. (It's actually part of my job -- in Marketing -- to word donation solicitation mailers in such a way that we allude to the funding being for one thing -- say Education -- even though it's really just going into general funds. I'm tricksy.)

In this case, I think it's quite apparent that some discoveries were made about the purchase -- after the goal was met -- that freed up some additional funds for use by TW.

If anything, folks should be praising the senior staff for their thrifty use of donated dollars, instead of lambasting them for not wasting said dollars on a not-as-efficient solution. :)

Has anyone else noticed that ALL of the Vet 4s do not have a problem with this, its only the Vet 3s and under that seem to have issues?

Bounty said:
You should come hang out in the office across the hall from me (Development office for a non-profit organization.)

It's quite a learning experience with regards to how donations and solicitations work in the real world.

Most donations you make to an organization rarely go to fund the areas of the organization that you either think they will go to, or have been led to believe they will go to. (It's actually part of my job -- in Marketing -- to word donation solicitation mailers in such a way that we allude to the funding being for one thing -- say Education -- even though it's really just going into general funds. I'm tricksy.)

In this case, I think it's quite apparent that some discoveries were made about the purchase -- after the goal was met -- that freed up some additional funds for use by TW.

If anything, folks should be praising the senior staff for their thrifty use of donated dollars, instead of lambasting them for not wasting said dollars on a not-as-efficient solution. :)

Part of the reason I will never contribute to most charities every again.

KtM said:
Has anyone else noticed that ALL of the Vet 4s do not have a problem with this, its only the Vet 3s and under that seem to have issues?

Yeah, you joining 4 months earlier than I did made all the difference.

Neutrino said:
Part of the reason I will never contribute to most charities every again.

So what's the other part of the reason? Are you a tightwad skinflint who would rather some other sucker gave his money away for you to enjoy TW for free?

Cheater said:
So what's the other part of the reason? Are you a tightwad skinflint who would rather some other sucker gave his money away for you to enjoy TW for free?

Nope, I just don't appreciate dishonesty. Which Bounty categorically admitted to being part and parcel of in his post.

If you care to understand my stance feel free to look back a couple pages.

Bounty your attitude sucks. If he would have mentioned it either before or after he bought the laptop, there wouldn't be an issue.
What he did comes across as shady, and your "we do want we want attitude" isn't helping

The reason I mention the fact is that many of Vet 3s and 4s remember this place from a long time ago. I did not say that ALL Vet 3s and under have issues, but it is evident that all of the Vet 4s that have posted support Colosus. The older members are familiar with the site's history, its metamorphosis into the TW of today. We can appreciate all of the hard work and dedication that all of the TW staff members put into this website.

fraggle said:
so.. where did all of that tribalwar server donation money really go? (cliffs at end)

cliffs:

- extra tw server money ($1500)
- colosus pays for pixiedee's ticket to san fran
- colosus then claims he's broke and takes tw server money to buy himself super duper laptop
- extra tw server money paid in part for col's new laptop and in whole for pixiedee to fly out to sf, not have sex with col
- fraggle is incredibly sexy

You Jews sure are uptight about money, aren't you?

:)

ReCurve said:
Bounty your attitude sucks. If he would have mentioned it either before or after he bought the laptop, there wouldn't be an issue. What he did comes across as shady, and your "we do want we want attitude" isn't helping

I don't have a "do what we want attitude", though I can see how it would seem that way.

My attitude is more like, "I'm quite sure Colosus has the best interests of this community first and foremost in his mind (except for getting laid, which he pursued with his own funds -- HI PIXIE!)."

Who knows though? Being around my wife leveled me off ... maybe I'm becoming a prick again, like I was five or six years ago. I'll give this some thought.

In the meantime, I'm going to go kill a kitten with a sledgehammer.

Cheater said:
I'm going to make a fucking bundle on UVaLAN 6 :)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

*EDIT*: And the only thing I can say on topic with this thread is this: Total I have donated about 40$$ to TW.

15 for TW.
10 for TW.
and 15 which I specifically told Col to go buy twinkies with.

Neutrino said:
Nope, I just don't appreciate dishonesty. Which Bounty categorically admitted to being part and parcel of in his post.

If you care to understand my stance feel free to look back a couple pages.

If you think you're not going to find some amount of dishonesty (no matter how loose the interpretation) in any organization or business in this country, you're going to be quite disappointed.

The fact is, if you want to look at it, any donation you've made to TW has -- at least in part -- gone to those servers. Without those donations (of which I have made a couple, myself) those servers would not be helping power TW today.

I hate to break it to some of you, but MOST organizations do not offer up a complete financial report of their spendings to their donors. That's just the way things work.

In this case, my major problem is that some automatically want to think the worst of someone who I think is actually a great individual. Absolutely nothing has been done differently here than in any other non-profit organization in the world.

Colosus didn't even owe it to any of us to provide an explanation, but he did ... so in some ways, I think he's done more.

If I'm coming off like a dick, I apologize ... life's rough right now (though that's not an excuse for being mean) and perhaps I'm using this as an outlet. But it's also helping me laugh, so that's good. Sorry if it's at anyone else's expense.

Last edited:
Bounty Bounty Bounty...don't ever apologize man, you have nothing to apologize for....you are OK....

Is that enough ass kissing to get a little play from the Mr Coast Guard? ;)

We didn't ask for money back in the day because we had people that would host us for free and give us servers to run the site on. Now we gotta have our own servers. Col already apoligized for not telling people he was getting the laptop.

Flash said:
ok you are fuckin dumb. if i recall didn't rayn use to run the site back in the day. and back in the day i don't even remember anybody asking for contributions

"Back in the day", TW didn't receive 11 million page views per month from 12,000+ registered users and who-knows-how-many unregistered users ... and like Imp said, there's nobody willing to host for free right now.

P.S. Pebbles says your sex is over in a Flash. :D

I didn't even contribute, I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing. :p

I honestly wish I could have, but I've been unemployed for quite a while now, will be a year in June. :|

And I know that dishonesty is rampant as I mentioned in my example of the Red Cross on 9/11. That is why I refuse to give to them. I just can't. :shrug:

For a long time I always wondered why the hell rich people created their own foundations for charity rather than giving to already established non-profits. Now I know and I would do the same thing if I were in that position.

Back