T:V bases and the effect on base rape.

ZProtoss

10,000++
Veteran XV
There's one dimension to base rape, HO, and defense that really hasn't been discussed too much on this board yet for whatever reason. That is the size of the bases, and what fills the size of the bases.

The power of HO in bases always came from the fact that bases were closed in and cut off the mobility of lights to avoid mortars/discs/what have you. Of course this made the heavy by far and away the best suit/etc indoors. However, we've seen lots of screenshots of what I'd like to call "gym-like" bases. Where they look huge on the outside, but on the inside they're mostly hollow, with vast open spaces. Obviously this plays hugely into the hands of lights indoors, since a light could easily kill a heavy indoors if there was alot of room to jet around while firing.

Now, to try to get to the point, are most bases going to be these school gym style bases, with few closed in compact bases like you saw in T1/T2? Is there going to be a mix? Either way, it does seem to add an interesting dynamic when you think of the consequences of larger bases and what they do to both defense and offense.

We don't know about the new deployables, inventory/power system, or if the super-heavy even makes a super-good offensive unit.

So I don't know if I can add anything to this thread.

Sorry.

I guess in this situation(large base) the rocket pod becomes a useful weapon in-doors, as you can easily send a couple of them spiraling towards a light even if he/she's airborne..

I have a feeling the medium will become the dominant arena equipment.. but we shall see. (I'm not even sure if they said anything about including arena, but I hope they do.)

For the sake of discussion use T1/T2 style physics deployables and turrets as a starting point.

Zoolooman said:
We don't know about the new deployables, inventory/power system, or if the super-heavy even makes a super-good offensive unit.

So I don't know if I can add anything to this thread.

Sorry.

Its interesting how in all those PM spam discussions, people forgot about some of the new bases being huge. PM spam is insanely easy to avoid if its in an open area like some of these bases seem to be.

TreW_SoulJa said:
and how will this affect the post-mortem hand grenade?

:D

I think Thrax already mentioned that the bases will be large and have big open spaces for a change. So I guess yes, most bases will be gym-like.

I've seen large bases, with small hallow corridors, but I have seen a gym typed base like your talking about. I doubt most key items will be in those things, bar a flag (better than it being outside)

The creator of Rescalesence must have been locked away in an insane asylum after making that base, I can't imagine working with something that size in Hammer!

pyrot3chnic said:
I guess in this situation(large base) the rocket pod becomes a useful weapon in-doors, as you can easily send a couple of them spiraling towards a light even if he/she's airborne..
This follows standard TW logic, as it is exactly counter to everything we've told you about the rocket pod. Congratulations, you are now captain of the TW debating squad.

:heart:

Thrax Panda said:
This follows standard TW logic, as it is exactly counter to everything we've told you about the rocket pod. Congratulations, you are now captain of the TW debating squad.

:heart:
w00t

(btw, don't know much about the pod.. it just seems like a good weapon for large in-door spaces. i guess common sense didn't work in this?)

oh comon, don't be stupid. I get killed no matter what indoors as a light. Whether big open rooms or narrow corridors. Actually, the big open rooms are my doom, but i can survive in the corridors.

The open spaces entice you to jetpack, but that easily puts you into a wall, or ceiling, or near one. I get killed all the time because of disc splash next to one of these annoying structures indoors. The fact that you cannot really miss with a disc indoors makes it hard for enemy lights. In essence, you have to to fly within a box that keeps you away from all walls, ceilings, and floors so you cannot get splash damage from rockets or discs, and then you have to dodge chaingun fire, and the discs that are fired close range due to the limiting of this box. Either way, your screwed as a light.

I think pyrot3chnic was closest here -- mediums are going to be dominant, or really close do dominant indoors. They have limited jetting, and decent armor. SO they have just enough to dodge, but not enough to go excess, and have extra armor.

But the heavy with sheild pack is still going to control a bit...

Back