TRIBES sales figures

V

Vlahka

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I'm looking for rough numbers on how many copies Tribes and its expansions have sold. I know someone who is claiming Halo for PC has sold more and thats just WRONG, but numbers are so much better to counter arguments with. Really hope someone here knows. Thanks!

T1 was pirated to no end, so that part of the story can be true. T2 had better protection, so that should get the numbers a little higher.

The tribes i bought must of atleast been copied around 50 times..and given to about 20 different people who gave a copy to other people and they still play t1 today...so piracy laws can blow me....cause i gave us a bigger community :D

You also have to remember that T1 was pretty much "underground" I guess you could say. It really wasn't a mainstream game like Half-Life or Halo. Dynamix didn't really try to take the game mainstream until T2, which failed miserably. o_O

As has already been said, T2 didn't fail miserably from a marketing standpoint. I remember a little news blurb in the in-game news about 6 months after release which stated "Tribes 2 has sold 200,000 units." Now, add the re-release, and two more years of random buying, and im sure its done alright past that mark. T2 was a failure for the T1 gaming community, but it was not a failure from the sales side (though it could ahve done much better with a bug-free release among other things).

So anyway, it sold at least 200k, I'd probably say 300-350k with all the extra time past the time of that news post.

Halo had MUCH more marketing muscle behind it. In fact, Halo was the FEATURED XBOX title.

It shouldn't shock anybody that it trounced Tribes in terms of sales. Had Tribes been the featured X-Box title, the sales figures would have been more than reversed - Tribes would have trounced Halo.

Halo = boring ass shit.

I'm more refering to the PC sales of both titles, not including XBox sales. This for the recent PC Halo release.

Who cares? Tribes probably sold like 100,000 copies in its lifetime, probably only 30-40k of those at full price. Tribes 2 sold around 500,000 copies I believe, something around 150-200k at full price. Halo PC has probably sold in the 100-200k area, or maybe slightly more. Don't really know for sure.

Console market > PC Market.

Now if you compared Tribes2 (which sold better than T1) to HaloPC, you might see a closer number. But Halo had a bigger following at release so it isn't a good comparison.

If you guys even consider Aerial Assault (Stripped down version of T2 for the Playstation 2) part of the Tribes legacy, it probably wouldn't hurt to bring those figures into the discussion as well.

Thrax Panda said:
Tribes and Tribes 2 sold around a combine 750,000 units lifetime, world wide.

Thats not bad, as someone stated earlier, Console games out sell computer games. A success from the company's stand point for a console game to sell is around 100K to 200K for higer end studios. So I bet for PC 75K to 125K is a good success. Now you look at 750k and that is amazing, considering Tribes1 didn't sell too well. Which brings us to why there will be a Tribes 3 , as to why Dynamix took a spill, thats another story.

Beren said:
I really doubt that, unless it was a small developer and publisher.

For your average game that may or may not get a sequal. I forget where I saw the numbers. Ofcourse for some company like EA those numbers would suck, but yeah for your average gaming company thats some pretty big money.

Back