CD-Rom Protection and T:V

ZProtoss

10,000++
Veteran XV
Well, I'm sure most people are aware that new games now and patches for new games implement new versions of exceedingly evil securom software. (Software the stealth installs drivers on your system in the attempt to detect cdrom emulation so it can block you from running the game/etc unless the cd rom is in the drive). Software that basically fucks over legitimate users while doing nothing to the actual pirates (hello no cd hacks).

However, even though you do have lots of comp savvy people (ie: TW), that do use cdrom emulation for running games simply because its easier (less manual cd swapping), would general policies in sierra/etc mandate that securom software be put on T:V upon release?

edit: I'm not really getting my hopes up for no annoying securom tech on T:V when it comes out though. Since I'm guessing it must be company policy for most publishers to demand that its put on in an attempt to protect sales even if it really doesen't protect from piracy.

Let's hope they just go the login route like T2 so that they can avoid all cd-rom protection schemes outright.

They still had cd rom protection in T2 after a few patches, (albeit it very light protection), because they had issues with people abusing sierras return policy by installing the game then returning it to the store. They took it out later on when it was obvious that those issues didn't exist anymore and wouldn't start up again.

New forms of cd rom protection though are hideously aggressive against legitimate users while not being effective against piracy. Unfortunately it seems like all publishers demand that it gets put on now. Sorta sucks.

I'm all about software protection as long as it doesn't place unrealistic burdens on legitimate users/customers. If your protection scheme ultimately breaks the product, you're only shooting yourself in the foot. No doubt people like Thrax are well aware of that.

I fully intend to purchase my copy of T:V from a retailer, but I know Sierra is notorious for installing useless bloatware with some of their games. That's something I'm not exactly looking forward to. :p

this is an issue now that Tribes has a full single player game now. obviously the cd-keys do nothing to protect against a basic cd-copy & letting your buddy play single player. so i guess i support the securom shit. besides, T:V won't require the cd being in the drive to play, will it???? it sure as hell better not ;)

Thing is about the securom shit, it's no issue for him to go to google, search for "Tribes Vengeance Crack", go to a crack website and bypass the protection within 2 minutes.

Edit:

SecuROM doesen't effect the installing doaln, simply starting up the game. It won't start up the game unless the actual CD is in the drive. It's bypassed by cd cracks of course, but to run the game legitimately you must have the cd in your cdrom drive. The *actual* cd, not an emulation. Hence you'd have to have the cd in to play at all times.

They can put whatever protection in that they want and I'll download the crack whenever it comes out. Of course I will legitimately buy it, but I'm not gonna deal with the pause, the noise, and the need of having the CD in the drive with that crap. ;) So whatever they do is fine by me.

ZProtoss said:
Well, I'm sure most people are aware that new games now and patches for new games implement new versions of exceedingly evil securom software. (Software the stealth installs drivers on your system in the attempt to detect cdrom emulation so it can block you from running the game/etc unless the cd rom is in the drive). Software that basically fucks over legitimate users while doing nothing to the actual pirates (hello no cd hacks).

What other publisher besides Ubisoft is using such a system? We certainly aren't.

It's not SecuROM, that's for sure. Check the copy protection on Homeworld 2. That's our standard set. It does exactly what we expect of it, and it does help stop piracy. Remember, less than 5% of our audience are sofisticated computer users. The job of the copy protection is to stop casual copying of CDs. I'm not trying to stop Ixiterra or other TW folks from installing a no-cd. I am trying to keep my Uncle from making a copy for his buddy at work.

Please bitch all you want about copy protection. The day people stop stealing my software is the day I'll stop trying to prevent that theft.

ZProtoss said:
Thing is about the securom shit, it's no issue for him to go to google, search for "Tribes Vengeance Crack", go to a crack website and bypass the protection within 2 minutes.

Edit:

SecuROM doesen't effect the installing doaln, simply starting up the game. It won't start up the game unless the actual CD is in the drive. It's bypassed by cd cracks of course, but to run the game legitimately you must have the cd in your cdrom drive. The *actual* cd, not an emulation. Hence you'd have to have the cd in to play at all times.
i never said it affected installing.

I use mounting from images for ease of use. T2's login system is the best software protection I've seen yet, it does its job and doesn't put any huge burden on a legitmate software holder.

ZProtoss said:
They still had cd rom protection in T2 ... because they had issues with people abusing sierras return policy by installing the game then returning it to the store.
QUOTE]

Deactivate the serial number when returned.

By the way...what is the best virtual CD software to use?

I use Virtual clonecd (edit: CloneDrive, from makers of CloneCD), but a few games (such as WC3: Frozen Throne), dont work.

Last edited:
Back