T:V Some pointless worries

Amadeus

Veteran XX
I'm thinking about T:V a lot recently, and there are some issues that even I find sometimes needless to worry about, since the Devs and publishers are most likely aware of these facts, but I thought I'd post some anyways... so maybe I'll get shot down for writing such a novel, but nevertheless:

[soapbox]

Reading through the forums discussing new ideas to implement, I saw many people say 'make it a mutator'. While this seems to be the ultimate solution, it has its dangers. Over-mutating a game can lead to server admins not using any mutators at all, because they don't have the time and/or the mood to browse in a 2 page long mutator list.

So I beg the Devs (still being pretty sure they know what they're doing) to consider adding every single mutator, maybe based on how much of the community will likely use it. A 0-100% division would naturally mean something that is sure to be/not be in the game. Mutators should start around a 25%-75% division, wich would mean that 25% of the people playing T:V would like to see that option/function or w/e in the game.

This would make a small, nice mutator list at the start, with the 'obligatory' mutators that make the difference between pub and comp play for example. All these mutators can then be edited, and more vital new ones can then be added during the open beta.

Wich brings me to another point. All we can hear about T:V, and with the release of every bit of new information, is that it's going to be 'bold and innovative'. I truly trust Irrational games, but there still is the chance of such a new element (or God forbid, more elements) to backfire in some way, that the Dev team did not realize. That is why open beta is there.

But if there is some kind of major bug in the beta (like skiing in T1, wich was not meant to happen) that should be straightened out, then the process will also majorly change the flow of the game after release compared to the beta the people were playing with until then. To give people a real view of what they will be playing, a second beta should be released in such a case with the repaired code: but this also takes time.

Therefore, the open beta should be released at least 2 or 3 months before actual release, so if such a problem comes up, the Dev team will have enough time to fix what ever it is, and release the fixed beta, wich will show the true face of the upcoming game.

[/soapbox]

That turned out to be quite a load. Sorry.

I would prefer mutators to not exist at all. Make it a mod, or leave it as base. Tribes isn't a simple FPS where a mutator will only have a small effect; any small change can have huge and annoying effects.

Ixiterra said:
I would prefer mutators to not exist at all. Make it a mod, or leave it as base. Tribes isn't a simple FPS where a mutator will only have a small effect; any small change can have huge and annoying effects.
That would be the point of mutators. Some players would like some of these small changes, others would not, and that's fine. Just don't make a mutator out of every possible setting. The purpose of mutators is to allow servers to customize gameplay in various directions, so that every player can enjoy the game, just not on the same server.

Ixiterra said:

Yea, mutators dont seem to fit into this game...i think it should stick to mods instead of this...and plz plz plz if you decide to add mutators no instagib that has gotta be the gayest thing i have seen and most servers have it which makes it even gayer :/

Ixiterra said:

:signed:

Amadeu5 said:
I'm glad to hear that btw.

As for mutators, I'd say have some in (like unrapable gens or w/e :shrug: ), but keep them low in numbers.
All that does is promote the server admin's version of Tribes. Soon we'll see servers where the sniper rifle malfunctions more than 200m away from home base. :rolleyes: We've already got T1 servers where you can't repair turrets and you can't buy ships, not to mention people who scream "omg osniper banz." If I wanted to play a mod without being able to repair turrets or fly ships, call it, "GayModWhereYouCan'tRepairTurretsOrBuyShips Mod," not "base."

Mutators is an unreal thing. Even though T:V is using the engine, that does not mean we have to use "mutators". Stick to mods, since mutators are lame.

Reverend Zero said:
Mutators is an unreal thing. Even though T:V is using the engine, that does not mean we have to use "mutators". Stick to mods, since mutators are lame.
Except that...

http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212959&highlight=mutator

Q: Will the mutator that has been released in other unreal games be included in T:V as well?
A : -KineticPoet- Any mutators that ship will be original
QR: -Tesla- I assume you mean the capacity to create mutators?
AR: -Colosus- Yes
A : -Tesla- Yes, we'll support that capacity.
A : -Tesla- For the un-informed, a mutator is a small "mod" that changes some game rules without radically altering the game.
A : -KineticPoet- Lots of T1/T2 mods would actually be mutators
A : -KineticPoet- Ultra Renegades, for example

I would definately prefer a LOW number of mutators, if any at all. I like the idea of adding one in for non-rapable gens under 10v10 and admin stuff that make for better pubs.

But, they are designing T:V with 2 to 32 player servers in mind. So maybe we won't need gaypubdetector software.. we'll see though.. :)

Son of a bitch. Well I hope they atleast have a system that labels servers that are using mutators, so I don't accidently join some server with "super large disc mutator" and "low gravity" mutator. that would piss me off quickly.

Reverend Zero said:
Son of a bitch. Well I hope they atleast have a system that labels servers that are using mutators, so I don't accidently join some server with "super large disc mutator" and "low gravity" mutator. that would piss me off quickly.
:lol:

Super large disc. That would be great

Mutators are a good thing, and they don't have to change the way the game works. Somebody could write a mutator that reports the results of a game to a web server. You could write a mutator that adds admin options. You could write a mutator that checks a user against a TW maintained list of players and automatically allows specific players access and denies others. These are all good things and don't require a full mod in order to use them.

Back