Those stupid Red Triangles.

Stage01

Banned
I dont know about you all , but I hated Player Indicators. No other game has them and it only dumbs down the game by making it so god awfull easy to find people, especially in T2.I know what your all gonna say but wait, because in Tribes: Vengeance all Tribes look VASTLY different. So in multiplayer maps if teams are forced to all have the same skin of a specific tribe or w/e then we wont need those dumb ass Triangles above our heads to give our positions away.

I am also aware tribes is a fast paced game but there are those rare occasions when you need to be sneaky or go un noticed.

So....

Will there be player indicators?
Will they be in the form of Triangles that are A very visable red?
Can you give me a straight out answer or is that too ....secret?

also as I just typed that I realized that you could simply just show people their teammates so anyone WITHOUT a Indicator would be obviously an enemy.

Triangles give packs like the Sensor Jammer and Cloak pack their usefulness. Also, sensor networks also have a greater purpose.

Triangles also allow you to immeidately distinguish friendly/enemy, which is great. I TK quite often in Battlefield/CS type games. Lowers TK's and increases the action.

Other games that don't have the triangles, require you to FIRST put your reticle on them, atleast to see if they are red/blue enemy whatever.

I don't see anything wrong with Triangles.. They are a great addition, imo.

KillerONE said:
Triangles give packs like the Sensor Jammer and Cloak pack their usefulness. Also, sensor networks also have a greater purpose.

Triangles also allow you to immeidately distinguish friendly/enemy, which is great. I TK quite often in Battlefield/CS type games. Lowers TK's and increases the action.

Other games that don't have the triangles, require you to FIRST put your reticle on them, atleast to see if they are red/blue enemy whatever.

I don't see anything wrong with Triangles.. They are a great addition, imo.

Well its more realistic *shrug* I never really Tk'ed all that much it just forces you to pay more attention.

I do see what you mean about Making you distinguish freind/foe right away but thats what I am saying T:V has very distinguishable looks in the armors, just force the whole team to wear the same armor.

Also how do triangles help you out if you are using a cloacking pack or w/e it would just make it void.

And lastly, I figure that snipers shouldnt be able to see them becuase that means that people can see them also, defeats the entire sneak factor of a sniper. They already have a laser to give their position away.

Well, considering the viewable distance is considerably further in Tribes than in most games, it is quite difficult to tell friend from foe when they're 100m away. T2 had such dreary colors too, which made things even worse. It seems like it will be easier to tell in T:V, but only playing the game can we tell.

And I don't see what snipers have to do with anything, because generally they will be out of IFF range anyway.

Well, you can never force anyone to wear any type of armor, so that's moot at this point.

I guess cloaking doesn't really have any effect on triangle, but when they are spotted with camera, a triangle pops up allowing you to see where they are.

About the snipers.. they can snipe, without being detected by staying out of sensor range. This may require them to kill deployable or base sensors before picking that sweet spot. :) We also know that the sniper rifle won't require a specific pack, so you could use a jammer, if there is one. :p

I prefer every game to have some sort of FoF indicator. Makes things much better, imo. Easily identify threats, keeping the action consistent and friendlies safe. I also, tend to agree, that the ability to sneak around is sometimes hampered by the "triangle".

I don't really see the Triangles being a problem, though. Still lots of sneaking around. Almost easier so, cause if you don't see a big red triangle you ignore it or don't recognize.

More good/fun from triangles. Takin em out would detract from what I really appreciate in an fps combat environment. I absolutely hate not being able to identify enemies/bases easily. Maybe something can be done to accommodate your request and mine, we'll have to see.. :)

Zip it Member.

IFF's are there for a reason. We shouldn't have to waste time identifying Friend or Foe. Also on another note, don't give me that fucking realism argument. It's the fucking future, you're in a fucking suit of armor that tells you who the bad guys are.

It's not "dumbing it down" its allowing for those of us who think of this as the fast competitive game that it is to not have to waste our fucking time trying to spend that extra 2 seconds having to figure out whether we should shoot someone or not.

Its a team based game, you should be able to without any question whatsoever even at a distance, identify your teammates and those on the opposite team.

IFF's will remain.

Ixiterra said:
Well, considering the viewable distance is considerably further in Tribes than in most games, it is quite difficult to tell friend from foe when they're 100m away. T2 had such dreary colors too, which made things even worse. It seems like it will be easier to tell in T:V, but only playing the game can we tell.

And I don't see what snipers have to do with anything, because generally they will be out of IFF range anyway.
I guess your right, I just dont want it to be blatanly obvious this game isnt for 10 year olds ya know?

Because, to be honest I absolutely hate the inidcators and waypoint system in T2, where you could see where the flag is through the hills and stuff, sure it helped alot but I would personally welcome the challenge of following them with my own eyes.

DwarfVader said:
Zip it Member.

IFF's are there for a reason. We shouldn't have to waste time identifying Friend or Foe. Also on another note, don't give me that ------- realism argument. It's the ------- future, you're in a ------- suit of armor that tells you who the bad guys are.

It's not "dumbing it down" its allowing for those of us who think of this as the fast competitive game that it is to not have to waste our ------- time trying to spend that extra 2 seconds having to figure out whether we should shoot someone or not.

Its a team based game, you should be able to without any question whatsoever even at a distance, identify your teammates and those on the opposite team.

IFF's will remain.

Me being a member means nothing, so I think Ill continue to discuss my ideas. Im sure I have played this game just as long as you have , just because I havent been a member of THIS COMMUNITY for so many years is a completely invalid point.

Anywho, you might wanna try to sound intellegent by not using so many vulgar words to get your point across.

I do agree on the point of this game being entirely fast paced and team based, maybe keep the triangles but ONLY within the Sensor range, always have team indicators on just not enemy.

Just my two cents.

Stage01 said:
I guess your right, I just dont want it to be blatanly obvious this game isnt for 10 year olds ya know?

Because, to be honest I absolutely hate the inidcators and waypoint system in T2, where you could see where the flag is through the hills and stuff, sure it helped alot but I would personally welcome the challenge of following them with my own eyes.
Well T1 wasn't a pansy ass POS like T2, and it had IFF's but none of the other garbage.

IFFs rock.

In other games (CS for example) the average player is less than 10m away unless you're using the AWP but then you zoom. Tribes players are considerably further away and unless you use the red/blue skins its a pain to identify them. If T:V has all players wearing the same skins or similar skins replacing the skins could be considered a "cheat" and give an advantage to anyone who has some basic skinning knowledge.

Stage01 said:
Me being a member means nothing, so I think Ill continue to discuss my ideas. Im sure I have played this game just as long as you have , just because I havent been a member of THIS COMMUNITY for so many years is a completely invalid point.

Anywho, you might wanna try to sound intellegent by not using so many vulgar words to get your point across.

I do agree on the point of this game being entirely fast paced and team based, maybe keep the triangles but ONLY within the Sensor range, always have team indicators on just not enemy.

Just my two cents.

I would almost put money on the fact that you haven't played this game as long as I have.

At any rate, I have the distinct feeling that whether or not you like or dislike the IFF indicators they will be in the game. I'm sorry but for someone who says that they "absolutely hate the inidcators and waypoint system in T2" how can you then go and make the statment "maybe keep the triangles but ONLY within the Sensor range." I suppose you could say you were trying to compensate for both sides of the argument but thats just retarded.

Its in the Future, you are in a Suit Of Armor, that suit tells you who your friends are and who your enemies are. The last thing I need or want is some newbie fuck running around trying to figure out why in some places he can see the IFF's and others he can't. Why complicate the simple shit even more? You have yet to provide me with a reasonable argument that would suggest that removing the IFF's is a "good" idea.

I'm still waiting.... Member.

IFF's are realisitc, we have them just like we do in tribes, marine helments have a chip in them that satalite and airplanes see the marine as a green dot on their cameras. sooo they can tell the difference between friendly and enemy.

Yogi said:
We're arguing whether a Tribes game should have IFFs. Now I've seen everything.

I'm up for any change, as long as it makes sense. If it has sound basis for good gameplay and fun, then I'll listen and be open to it. I'm looking for T:V to be a game the looks "ouside the box", to be that NEW game, with NEW innovations and NEW features. Whether old stuff enhanced or added, I look forward to a NEW game. Not a rehash (which I'm sure you (and others) know, IG is attempting to accomplish). Just re-iterating. :)

The problem with not having player indicators is -

-It would slow down a game like this a ton, and then it would no longer be tribes. It would be some slow game.

-There would be team killing, or a lack of killing up the wazoo.

Also don't try to say its more realistic to not have them, as our latest quipment and machinery has a friend or foe indicator. This shows who is bad, and who is good.

Back